• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Penix Jr returning to school

Varking

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

in what way? I cant find a single thing that those two have in common.... genuinely curious here, not being a dick. 

Nah, it's cool.  It's just the physical attributes people are drooling more so than the production is questionable to me.   I'm not insinuating Levis is a head case or anything.  Remember, crazy Ryan didn't fully come out until in the League and he couldn't handle the pressure of losing.  It's more of the hard projection off the tangible rather gauging the intangibles.  Again, just a gut feeling.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

in what way? I cant find a single thing that those two have in common.... genuinely curious here, not being a dick. 

I do not see this either, because Leaf was competing with Peyton Manning to be the #1 overall selection, and opinions were divided.   Levis does not carry that kind of pedigree, but 45 usually makes good points, so I will reserve judgement until he responds.

Then I will blast him!!

Honest me: 

I laughed at the stupidity of the KC GM when the Chiefs traded up to take Mahomes at #10.

I did not think Josh Allen would be a good professional.

I thought Leaf was equal to Manning during their draft.

I thought Lamar Jackson was a wasted pick.

I thought Justin Herbert was the next Oregon QB to go Joey Harrington.

I thought drafting Cam was necessary, but I did not like it. 

I have been right a few times, but this demonstrates an honest reaction to my ability to predict what a QB can do.  I thought I would post this because there are people on this site who claim to know about drafting QBs.  They are always "iffy" at best.  That makes it fun, but draft the wrong QB in round 1, and you will give that QB at least 2 years to develop, setting back your turnaround by 2-3 seasons.  Do we have the GM to pull this off now?  I dunno.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

With the NIL money I think we're going to see more and more mid-round type players opting to play another year of college ball. Big time college QBs are gonna be getting PAID. Hell, TAMU's starting OL is reportedly splitting a seven figure NIL deal. That's tough to walk away from unless you're talking about being drafted high enough to secure your future.

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I do not see this either, because Leaf was competing with Peyton Manning to be the #1 overall selection, and opinions were divided.   Levis does not carry that kind of pedigree, but 45 usually makes good points, so I will reserve judgement until he responds.

Then I will blast him!!

Levis will be a top 10 pick especially as more underclassmen QBs are staying in school, potentially top 5.  Mark it down.  Outside of a respectable completion percentage, what jumps off the page?

image.png.3db26b5087df5dd8dc9a87dc92e3b12a.png

Nothing.  He has near ideal size (could be a little taller) and a quick release.  That's why people are infatuated with him.  Every NFL staff 'thinks' they can mold a young QB as long as the physical qualities check the box.  I'm saying, that's not always the case.  Leaf had all the physical attributes you'd want in a franchise QB, but his college stat line showed otherwise.

image.png.08db9cb63a203432b2472132339c14e3.png

Edited by 45catfan

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Levis will be a top 10 pick especially as more underclassmen QBs are staying in school, potentially top 5.  Mark it down.  Outside of a respectable completion percentage, what jumps off the page?

image.png.3db26b5087df5dd8dc9a87dc92e3b12a.png

Nothing.  He has near ideal size (could be a little taller) and a quick release.  That's why people are infatuated with him.  Every NFL staff 'thinks' they can mold a young QB as long as the physical qualities check the box.  I'm saying, that's not always the case.  Leaf had all the physical attributes you'd want in a franchise QB, but his college stat line showed otherwise.

image.png.08db9cb63a203432b2472132339c14e3.png

That is interesting, but (and I know you know this) I hate to compare 2 players with similar features as anything definitive, but that is all we have to go on.  So I took a look at Leaf and there is some suggestion that he had a solid RB (1000 yards) and some WRs with ridiculous averages per catch, suggesting that they had high run after catch numbers (Suggesting that the signs may have been there all along).  His completion percentages were low.  His top 4 WRs in 1997 (2 played in the NFL), caught 164 of 227 (including RBs) passes.  They had the following ypc averages:  54 catches with an 18.6 ypc average; 55 catches with a 16.6 average, 33 catches with a 18.1 average, and 22 catches with a 25.9 ypc average.

Those are ridiculous per catch averages. I realize that Leaf was a downfield passer, but 52% and 55.4% completion rates for a top draft pick?  I did not understand the risk until now.

I may have veered from your point, but you usually make me think.  TY

Source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/washington-state/1997-roster.html

I think Levi will be a top 5 pick as well.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

That is interesting, but (and I know you know this) I hate to compare 2 players with similar features as anything definitive, but that is all we have to go on.  So I took a look at Leaf and there is some suggestion that he had a solid RB (1000 yards) and some WRs with ridiculous averages per catch, suggesting that they had high run after catch numbers (Suggesting that the signs may have been there all along).  His completion percentages were low.  His top 4 WRs in 1997 (2 played in the NFL), caught 164 of 227 (including RBs) passes.  They had the following ypc averages:  54 catches with an 18.6 ypc average; 55 catches with a 16.6 average, 33 catches with a 18.1 average, and 22 catches with a 25.9 ypc average.

Those are ridiculous per catch averages. I realize that Leaf was a downfield passer, but 52% and 55.4% completion rates for a top draft pick?  I did not understand the risk until now.

I may have veered from your point, but you usually make me think.  TY

Source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/washington-state/1997-roster.html

I think Levi will be a top 5 pick as well.

And if this doesn't scare then absolute poo out of you then, you need a gallon of laxative:

image.png.627f627e98842b145fb22cc4dcbe5a38.png

image.png.3962ed29e2d3ede5fb37edf41b776349.png

This is against VANDEBILT and Kentucky was at home!  I get the kid has been banged up and his OL is trash, but DUDE, WTF????

NINE of his 19 passing TDs came against Miami--OHIO, Youngstown State and Northern Illinois.

3 minutes ago, year of the snitch said:

that's crazy PFF has him going #1 to Houston.

To Houston. Please God! Cause that gets young in the picture for us. And yes he's tiny but I would take that risk. If you can get him to hold up for 5-7 years with a better than average roster around him, he can pull you into the playoffs. If it's a top 5 crew maybe pull you all the way to the SB. dude gets it.

The top 2 should be young/stroud, then Richardson/Levis/McKee (No). After that it's merky.

Penix wasn't a round 1, had questions on round 2. But here @ the huddle he was top 15....