• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anthony Richardson declares for the draft

Ricky Spanish

40 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

but you are all aboard the darnold train.  Got it

How hard is it for you guys to understand?

Sam Darnold is paid for.

Sam Darnold is the only QB on the team to have the physical skills to win Superbowl (not counting Matty C on IR)

Right now we only have one option try to win the Superbowl because we will be picking outside of the top 12 already.

So yes right now until the year is over you're gotdam right I'm on the Darnold train.

Like Obi Wan Kenobi he's our only hope!

3 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I am not struggling despite you suggesting I am. 

I merely pointed out that the Gators have never produced an NFL caliber QB. That is a true statement. 

I also haven't said 1 single thing about Anthony Richardson.  I haven't said he's going to fail, I also haven't said he's going to succeed.  He has nothing to do with the point I made,  except he happens to be a current GATOR QB. 

If he succeeds, he will be the first in the history of that school. 

Seems to me, you are struggling, because you chose to target me in retaliation,  and you argued a point that had nothing to do with the point I made.  Now because I'm not backing down off your ignorance,  your claiming I struggle.  Maybe you should learn how to read before you decide to attack someone on a message board. 

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF
Posting the school he went to doesn’t produce QBs especially in a mocking manner is implying just that. If you want to back peddle and play coy, I completely understand because it’s a silly argument when you look at all the players that come from non “QB Factory” schools. Hell I can’t even think of what school would be considered a QB Factory.

I do find it interesting you think it’s an “attack” when I asked for a list just like you did…

• Pie 2

I just don't see it. Cool ... he can throw it far. Cool ... he's got a big frame. Cool ... he can run if needed. But his college stats are pedestrian. Nothing at all about him screams like he's headed for elite level in the NFL right now. We can do better. We should do better. A guy like that, right now, will not turn this franchise around. He's a gamble. As are all the rest. But some of the others are a much safer gamble.

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, Varking said:

I don’t understand dudes who constantly click threads about folks they have no interest in to tell us they have no interest in them in like 14 straight threads. We get it, Catsman69, you don’t want Richardson. Why don’t you make a thread about the QB you DO want? Or did they decide to go back to school because they weren’t a first or second round prospect? 

Because this is fun and I love you guys!

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF
Posting the school he went to doesn’t produce QBs especially in a mocking manner is implying just that. If you want to back peddle and play coy, I completely understand because it’s a silly argument when you look at all the players that come from non “QB Factory” schools. Hell I can’t even think of what school would be considered a QB Factory.

I do find it interesting you think it’s an “attack” when I asked for a list just like you did…

Your implications don't bother me.  

Have a goodnight.  

2 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I am not struggling despite you suggesting I am. 

I merely pointed out that the Gators have never produced an NFL caliber QB. That is a true statement. 

I also haven't said 1 single thing about Anthony Richardson.  I haven't said he's going to fail, I also haven't said he's going to succeed.  He has nothing to do with the point I made,  except he happens to be a current GATOR QB. 

If he succeeds, he will be the first in the history of that school. 

Seems to me, you are struggling, because you chose to target me in retaliation,  and you argued a point that had nothing to do with the point I made.  Now because I'm not backing down off your ignorance,  your claiming I struggle.  Maybe you should learn how to read before you decide to attack someone on a message board. 

I mean what is the definition of success here? What is the definition of NFL caliber? The Golden Calf of Bristol beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in an NFL Playoff game. He only got to start 16 games in the NFL and he scored 29 touchdowns to 9 interceptions. He scored 3 touchdowns and threw 0 picks in the playoffs. He did this with McDaniels as his coach. Which, look at what hes done to the Raiders…He also has a winning record as a starting QB in his career. 

Rex Grossman started every game for a Bears team that went to the Super Bowl. And yes, that is a feat, because Chicago is where QBs don’t thrive. 

Jacoby Brissett has done well for himself and had a 2:1 TD to INT ratio in his one full year of starting on the Colts. Thrown for over 10k yards in his career despite mostly being a backup. 

Cam Newton was a Gator. And if you think he did much developing between Florida, Blynn and Auburn you are nuts. Every team had the same strategy with him. Allow him to throw when you could afford it and let him take over games with his legs if you were behind. It’s why he still had so much to work on while he was here in Carolina. But I wouldn’t say he isn’t NFL caliber. Statements like this are simply goalpost moving comments. Are you only NFL caliber if you start a full year? NFL caliber meaning you played in the NFL? NFL caliber as in played in the league for X amount of years? Are you only NFL caliber if you make All Pros, Pro Bowls or win a Super Bowl?

To state this as a “fact” when it’s a judgement statement is silly. 

The Gators haven’t put forth a Hall of Fame passer in the NFL but there are some that have had success.

However, all of that is irrelevant, honestly. They don’t run the triple option. You evaluate the player, not the school. 

1 minute ago, Varking said:

I mean what is the definition of success here? What is the definition of NFL caliber? The Golden Calf of Bristol beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in an NFL Playoff game. He only got to start 16 games in the NFL and he scored 29 touchdowns to 9 interceptions. He scored 3 touchdowns and threw 0 picks in the playoffs. He did this with McDaniels as his coach. Which, look at what hes done to the Raiders…He also has a winning record as a starting QB in his career. 

Rex Grossman started every game for a Bears team that went to the Super Bowl. And yes, that is a feat, because Chicago is where QBs don’t thrive. 

Jacoby Brissett has done well for himself and had a 2:1 TD to INT ratio in his one full year of starting on the Colts. Thrown for over 10k yards in his career despite mostly being a backup. 

Cam Newton was a Gator. And if you think he did much developing between Florida, Blynn and Auburn you are nuts. Every team had the same strategy with him. Allow him to throw when you could afford it and let him take over games with his legs if you were behind. It’s why he still had so much to work on while he was here in Carolina. But I wouldn’t say he isn’t NFL caliber. Statements like this are simply goalpost moving comments. Are you only NFL caliber if you start a full year? NFL caliber meaning you played in the NFL? NFL caliber as in played in the league for X amount of years? Are you only NFL caliber if you make All Pros, Pro Bowls or win a Super Bowl?

The Gators haven’t put forth a Hall of Fame passer in the NFL but there are some that have had success.

However, all of that is irrelevant, honestly. They don’t run the triple option. You evaluate the player, not the school. 

He has already retreated. One of those silly college vs prospects comments. There really aren’t any “QB Factory” schools anymore. Franchise QBs are so rare it’s just a numbers game if one university can produce more than one.

4 minutes ago, Varking said:

You're right, evaluate the player. 

Which I admit, I have not done. 

Doesn't change the fact that most teams looking for QB doesn't look to the gator program.  Good QB's very rarely go there. If they do, it's because they can't break the lineup on better colleges programs. 

And for the record. 

Richardson could be an exceptionto the rule when it comes to Gator QBs finding success in the NFL. Which is great if he is.   

Just now, pantherclaw said:

You're right, evaluate the player. 

Which I admit, I have not done. 

Doesn't change the fact that most teams looking for QB doesn't look to the gator program.  Good QB's very rarely go there. If they do, it's because they can't break the lineup on better colleges programs. 

And for the record. 

Richardson could be an exceptionto the rule when it comes to Gator QBs finding success in the NFL. Which is great if he is.   

Oh fug off

8 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I just don't see it. Cool ... he can throw it far. Cool ... he's got a big frame. Cool ... he can run if needed. But his college stats are pedestrian. Nothing at all about him screams like he's headed for elite level in the NFL right now. We can do better. We should do better. A guy like that, right now, will not turn this franchise around. He's a gamble. As are all the rest. But some of the others are a much safer gamble.

Who is a safer gamble? Your options are, based on popular draft positioning:

1. Bryce Young - Despite being the returning Heisman trophy winner and having what is considered to be the best defensive player in the country, lost more games in a single season at Bama we have seen in some time. On top of that, he is small. Like terribly small when compared to most QBs. And to think his small stature doesn’t matter as he already missed time this season with an injury from college guys. NFL tackles aren’t going to hurt the same. Big chance he can’t take consistent NFL hits and a big part of his game is scrambling around to buy time. 

2. CJ Stroud - Couldn’t carry the team in the big games. Folks think hes simply a front runner who is carried by Uber elite talent like JSN and MHJ, or the year before Wilson and Olave. 

3. Will Levis - Nobody individually or as a team shrunk more from one year to the next than Levis. However, he does have the size NFL teams like and hes got a rocket for an arm. Against common opponents that he shared with Richardson, 4 games, Richardson absolutely smoked him stats-wise and it’s not close. They had equal completion percentages but Richardson produced like triple the yards, more touchdowns and less turnovers. 

4. Anthony Richardson - As strong of an arm as Levis, better wheels than Young, and if you ignore his supporting cast his stats don’t reflect that of a guy who took over games. Definitely outplayed Levis against the same competition but that isn’t saying much. 

The point being, he is a risk, sure. But he is also just as much of a risk as the rest of these guys. You are saying we have to, and can do better, but where is that in this draft? What is “better”? 

Do you want to draft a guy who might not play? A front runner? A guy who got considerably worse from the previous year? A toolsy project guy who definitely played better in the second half of the season?

There is no Lawrence, Luck or Manning prospect in this draft where they appear to have minimal flaws and seem like a “sure thing”. Even when Burrow came out, like Pickett, folks were screaming one year wonder. You find the guy you like after watching film and doing interviews and you roll with him and hope for the best. 

• Pie 2

57 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh yeah he had someone start over him last year. That’s not super unusual. Mac Jones only played a year, Burrow was only 2. I thought you were saying he was a converted player learning the position or something like Tannehill was.

So not a lot of college experience or reps and little to no college production in a QB you would draft in the top 10.. All that says is this would be a straight up potential projection pick.. So the only safe guard to that is a coaching staff with YEARS of experience and history in developing Quarterbacks and offensives from scratch…

• Pie 1