• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilks' word vs. Rhule's

Icege

1 minute ago, CRA said:

you said we were finally building a winning culture.  I merely pointed out we haven't won as a franchise in a long time.  Haven't won this year.  And Wilks doesn't even have a winning record in his portion of the schedule.  Matt Rhule put the bar on the floor.  Which is helping propel the Wilks push.  

Wilks likely will hover around a .500 to close to interim job playing very basic football vs bad teams. 

I maintain my same position since the start of the year.  I don't want a defensive coach whose tendency is to play football from prior eras. 

You keep attributing traits for Wilks that he hasn't even shown yet. 

We've won 3 out of the last 4. I can live with those streaks.

But good luck with that Offensive Coach thing.

11 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

You keep attributing traits for Wilks that he hasn't even shown yet. 

Do you watch the games? 

We have averaged 140 passing yards in the games we have won. 

Heck, we have broken 200 yards just once since Wilks took over.   And that was because of huge passing yards in the last half of the 4th quarter. 

That's not actually the formula for success in the NFL. 

So yeah, a team that traded away their best offensive player, fired their HC, and has horrible offense? It's the ideal time to burn it down and build something legit.   

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Do you watch the games? 

We have averaged 140 passing yards in the games we have won. 

Heck, we have broken 200 yards just once since Wilks took over.   And that was because of huge passing yards in the last half of the 4th quarter. 

That's not actually the formula for success in the NFL. 

So yeah, a team that traded away their best offensive player, fired their HC, and has horrible offense? It's the ideal time to burn it down and build something legit.   

This will be my last response to this. Because it's just the same back-and-forth over and over again.

Who cares how we won. At the end of the year you do not get bonus points for how you won. As long as the team keeps winning, the stronger the chance Wilks returns.

If, by some act of God, we do win the South. Wilks will have an 8-4 record. With a 6 game winning streak going. That is how you start a winning culture.

A win is a win. You can quantify it all you want. But it's still a win.

Ppl are upset when we lose, and upset when we win. Man, I love this joint.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

It will be interesting to see what happens draft day if Wilks is our HC.  He claimed he wanted to trade up for Josh Allen but was denied that option.  Is he going to want to trade up for Anthony Richardson?  Same physically talented, but raw passer type of prospect....

I think a lot of it will come down to who the OC is. Who does he want. Can we get him. Lots and lots of interesting goings on coming up. 

3 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

I think a lot of it will come down to who the OC is. Who does he want. Can we get him. Lots and lots of interesting goings on coming up. 

He said when we was the HC at Arizone HE wanted to trade up for Josh Allen.  I don't think it mattered who is OC is, especially since the good ones are pretty much temporary...

46 minutes ago, CRA said:

Wilks is .500 against a slate of trash teams minus the Ravens. 

Funny you mention the Ravens because they're not built all that differently from us.  Yes the obvious difference is that they have Lamar Jackson, but he's essentially an extension of the run game.  At the end of the day they're built around a low-volume efficient pass game (limiting turnovers), playing tough defense, and cramming the ball down your throat in the run game while controlling the clock. 

Do you think the Ravens are capable of winning a Super Bowl with Lamar?  Or do you think they should get rid of Lamar and overhaul their entire offensive philosophy considering they're routinely towards the top of the league in rushing and bottom of the league in passing?  I'm genuinely curious because I hear a lot of people talk about how you need a dangerous passing attack to win in this league but those same people seem to generally consider the Ravens and Lamar Jackson as formidable contenders...which seems conflicting to me.

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

That would be THE interview question, frankly.  "Tell me about the staff you would like to hire if you are the HC"  If he realizes offense is not in his wheelhouse and he throws out a name or description (e.g. creative mind who tailors his philosophy to the talent on the roster) that addresses that, great.

On the other hand, if he says something like Buddy Ryan was right, that offense only exists to give the defense a rest, then we call the next contestant.

Hell, if he can accurately describe our positions of need on offense and provide some qualities he would like to have in the people who fill them, that puts him a step ahead of Rivera.

Truth is, if we are interviewing offensive-minded coaches, the questions should be similar just pointed at the opposite side of the LOS.

• Beer 2

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He said when we was the HC at Arizone HE wanted to trade up for Josh Allen.  I don't think it mattered who is OC is, especially since the good ones are pretty much temporary...

I've been saying that we need to establish a new coaching position. Asst. to the OC. He can learn the ropes, and when the OC leaves, he takes over. He then hires him an ASST. and we repeat the process to infinity and beyond. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

That would be THE interview question, frankly.  "Tell me about the staff you would like to hire if you are the HC"  If he realizes offense is not in his wheelhouse and he throws out a name or description (e.g. creative mind who tailors his philosophy to the talent on the roster) that addresses that, great.

On the other hand, if he says something like Buddy Ryan was right, that offense only exists to give the defense a rest, then we call the next contestant.

Hell, if he can accurately describe our positions of need on offense and provide some qualities he would like to have in the people who fill them, that puts him a step ahead of Rivera.

Truth is, if we are interviewing offensive-minded coaches, the questions should be similar just pointed at the opposite side of the LOS.

Truthfully, all I want is a HC that can do 3 things. Lead, motivate, and find good ASSTs. Look at Campell in Detroit. Almost his entire staff is made up of former players. 

Putting a staff together is just one of three keys. But it all falls apart if you don't get all 3.

Can Wilks do that? Personally, I say yes. He has the contacts. He is self-aware. And he can definitely lead and motivate.

• Beer 1

Wilks has gotten his players to "commit like a pig, and not like the chicken." If anyone read that Cam Newton article about commitment, you'll get the reference. It's all about guys believing in you and giving you everything you have. This is an offensive league but if he can find someone to game plan offensively and find a franchise QB, I'm down with it. There are some good former HC that are just better at being offensive coordinators. Look what Robert Saleh is doing with the Jets and their qb situation, similar with the Lions. 

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Funny you mention the Ravens because they're not built all that differently from us. 

The Ravens are a great example of what I'm concerned about with our approach. Since drafting Lamar they've gone: lost WC round, lost divisional round, lost divisional round, and then missed the playoffs last year.

At some point in the playoffs (especially in the AFC), you're going to come up against a team with an elite QB. You're going to have to have the ability to have a more dynamic passing attack. If you don't, you get bounced, just like the Ravens have year after year. 

I will caveat this with saying there just don't seem to be many elite QBs in the NFC. Even the normal names like Brady and Rodgers aren't playing up to that elite level right now and are in danger of missing the playoffs which is why San Francisco might be able to reach the NFC Championship game with Brock Purdy.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, trueblade said:

The Ravens are a great example of what I'm concerned about with our approach. Since drafting Lamar they've gone: lost WC round, lost divisional round, lost divisional round, and then missed the playoffs last year.

At some point in the playoffs (especially in the AFC), you're going to come up against a team with an elite QB. You're going to have to have the ability to have a more dynamic passing attack. If you don't, you get bounced, just like the Ravens have year after year. 

I will caveat this with saying there just don't seem to be many elite QBs in the NFC. Even the normal names like Brady and Rodgers aren't playing up to that elite level right now and are in danger of missing the playoffs which is why San Francisco might be able to reach the NFC Championship game with Brock Purdy.

Ball control teamed with a good/great D can make other teams weary. All you need is a QB that can keep the chains moving, and hit a deep one when the box is stacked. Nothing spectacular, just Steady Eddie can do it. 

Sound teams that play fundamental football are going to be in most games. But having that Quality QB? That adds a measure of scarability. We get that Quality QB, and that could be us.

• Beer 2