• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold Props

TheCasillas

Are we to 4/5 games yet? Or we gonna move the goal post on Sam based on 2021? Can we kill the Mayfield better than Sam crowd though. They were crazed for weeks on how the open competition screwed us over. Yeah no, Sam has been capable but fhule, fitt, and the fan base buried Sam this year before it started, just like teddy B. Sam is still a bottom 3rd guy, but he's better than baker. He has just been in absolutely shitty situations to start his career and he may never be right........

Had another solid/good game. He started last year fine too. Now can he keep it up that's the #1 question. He's had good games for us and the jets before. It's the clunker rut for multiple games that kills. He really didn't have help on D or the run game last week and it killed us. This week was pretty much a butt whooping of Detroit, but he played well too. This wasn't just Sam getting carried. So far he hasn't hit a rut, so far. He closes out the year without one, he can get a deal less than teddy B, but I would give him more than a 1 year deal. 

Now still find another QB. Like Alex Smith in KC, you don't stop looking for something better. I would still look at finding one early or in FA. I wouldn't straight dump him or 1 year him as he's atleast a 20-40th guy at the position. 

• Pie 4

Been impressed by Darnold, especially the last couple weeks, but it's been so long since we had even moderately good QB play (not since Darnold the first 4 weeks last year and a while before that), I wanted to take a look at how he has done compared to other QBs...

Darnold over 4 games: 54/88, 759 yards, 6 total TDs, 0 INTs, 0 fumbles lost (both amazing)

Darnold if he had played 16 games at this exact clip: 216/352, 3036 yards, 24 total TDs.

Where this puts him relative to other QBs:  Mid-to-low. The top 10 QBs all have at least 3500 yards and 23 *passing TDs*, with the top over 4000 yards and 30 TDs. 

He's looking like VERY solid backup material that, which is tremendous for him given how he'd looked his first few years. He was a big part of today's win, and had some absolutely clutch throws.

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Do note, once the Lions stacked the box, he was able to make plays to put us over.  That's a threshold you want to see a QB eclipse.  If the running game is setting up the pass, you gotta execute and he did. 

Yup. He stepped up where he needed to. Tbh, we did see shades of that last week, but he just wasn't quite on target on a few throws.  He really connected with DJ though in this game. If the two of them can keep that chemistry going, we'll be a threat to anyone IMO.

2 minutes ago, Ghostface Chilla said:

Sam looked comfortable in the pocket today too. The O line starting to really gel with him it seems. He wasn’t jittery or getting happy feet at all. He was poised under pressure.

Yeah, he had a couple nice throws with players in his face.

• Pie 4

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

We played the Lions. Let's see how he does the rest of the way.

Lions were the toughest team left on our scheudle, but yes we will see the rest of the way. I just wouldnt dismiss this game bc it was against the lions... they were the 2nd hottest team in the league heading into this weekend.

• Pie 8

8 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Do note, once the Lions stacked the box, he was able to make plays to put us over.  That's a threshold you want to see a QB eclipse.  If the running game is setting up the pass, you gotta execute and he did. 

Good point. The second half was more impressive to me from a QB point of view. He was able to move the ball and score points even when they stacked the box and everyone knew we were going to run the ball. He did a good job on the read option and was very good avoiding any turnovers. He moved well in the pocket and didn't have happy feet. He stood in and delivered some big balls right as he got hit. He still has Tampa and the Saints away but he is 3-1 to this point. Let's see how he finishes. I am hoping for another home game myself....

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3