• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Mcadoo developing Darnold??

WOW!!

12 minutes ago, Rags said:

We'll likely resign him

I hope they don't if there are better options in free agency. And we won't know if there will be until then.

14 minutes ago, Rags said:

Both these things might not be true -- although I expect them to be.

It's honestly too early to say. Every year teams surprise in both good and bad ways. That said, every time the Panthers had expectations placed on them, they've disappointed.

15 minutes ago, Rags said:

Levis is another prospect I woldn't mind taking a risk on

If Stroud or Levis are the two QBs available, I'd rather sell the pick and wait a year. 😄

From what I've seen of them, neither of those two have what it takes. Levis seems to have issues processing or something going on in his head, and Stroud can't play with any sort of rush near him. Young is the best QB in the class and it's not close. Richardson, as has been said, is the super high upside guy you take a chance on.

19 minutes ago, Rags said:

I agree to an extent that it can buy you some time (couple of years is a wild stretch) but if the #1 reason you drafted the QB is to sell tickets and hope he hits, that's not good team building. 

I think a new rookie QB can buy you two years, that's why I said a couple. I agree about only drafting a QB to sell tickets, but Tepper is the team's owner, and he only cares about money.

20 minutes ago, Rags said:

And yes, we might go a different style next season but given what we have on this roster rn...it'd be kinda silly to go strongly against all those things.

It wouldn't be the first time this team has played against its own strengths.

21 minutes ago, Rags said:

this should be the blueprint for the 2023 panthers, with focusing on how to improve it. 

The ball control, run first, limit QB mistakes offense and defensive football is something the Panthers have done for the majority of their existence to mediocre at best results. It's time to try something new.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, OldhamA said:

There's no maybe about it. 

I'm more curious to know what would have happened if Darnold didn't sprain his ankle in pre-season. 

With all the hype about Mayfield I doubt Sam would have seen the field. Mayfield was Rhule’s new toy. It truly did Sam good to sit and learn. If McAdoo has worked with him it is apparent Sam listened. The next two games will determine Sam’s fate.

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

Uhhhh zero interceptions this year.

Panthers without looking are scoring the most they have per game since he came back.

We have been getting points on opening drives.

We have had back to back scoring drives in more than one game. How long has that been?

The team responds to him especially DJ.

Are you saying he has nothing to do with any of our winning? He threw for 225 after being made one dimensional against Steelers. 

Have to agree with you on that.

Now do we need MORE from him in those scenarios?  

Yes but at the same time, we can see he's now making it a point to take care of the football and not make costly errors.

I have seen him throw the ball away (when nothing is there) more times than I have ever seen him back when he was a Jet. 

If that's not "development"(however long it took him), I don't know what is.

This coming week is going to be the litmus test to see where he REALLY is at right now.

I am not like many others here who are rooting for his failure just to be proven right. 

I just want to see whether the Sam we have been getting these past 4 games is the Norm or still the Exception.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

7 hours ago, CRA said:

Yes.  I’m saying he has practically nothing to do with it.  Sam Darnold is just a bad NFL body and is just doing what bad NFL bodies do when put in good spots.   

We can win with PJ Walker if the run does what it did Saturday.   

Sam is trash.  A proven NFL fact. 

Funny GIF

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the post that if Darnold had not be injured, Rhule would probably still be here. 

I personally don't think a handful of games in an offense where the QB's job is to hand the ball off and not throw interceptions overrides four years of past performance.  Maybe he's learned, maybe he is the same, but I need to see a lot more to conclude he has turned a corner.

Regardless, had Darnold not been injured and if he has turned a corner, Rhule driving the train would have derailed it.  As exhibit A, we traded for a QB who operates best out of play action and roll outs.  Rhule talked about establishing the run, but when the games started, we threw on every down out of the chute and we didn't roll him out. 

Maybe you can pin that on McAdoo, but even if that was his stupidity, as the HC don't you pull him aside and ask him WTF he is doing and if he missed the discussion of running the football?

The Process either confuses talking with doing, he thought he was going to outsmart everybody else, or both.

Or maybe McAdoo was following Matt Drool's instructions?

How is it that he's now running the football with Wilks all of a sudden?  

Matt was the coach then. 

I think it's obvious that that was more Matt Rhule's call than Ben's.

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

This is where it gets hard to take you seriously. So far Sam has been a decent game manager with a strong rushing game. Smith was a much better game manager than Darnold has been so far. You cherry pick one throw and act like that somehow proves he is a better QB. I’m sure Jamarcus Russell made an elite throw or two, but you have to look at the entire body of work….

But he's made more than one of those "cherry picked throws", though.   Not just in the Broncos game.   *shrugs*

4 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I think you've seen that in this run - he's throwing the ball away more when nothing is on, or taking the sack when he's instantly pressured. In the past he'd try to make a hero play.

AND *THIS* is the improvement that I've seen from him.

The "Hero" ball crap was remnants of his time in NY where there was immense pressure to succeed with all the NY Media and obnoxious NY fans who never played a Pro sport in their life. 

2 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

Running the ball and using play action will never go put of style.

Because it’s just so damn effective. Right now today, on 12/27/2022 we’ve got a top 3 running game in the entire NFL. And with the resurgence of Sam, we’ve got a top 15 passing game. We can beat anybody in the NFL if we play our game. I’m so fuging pumped for Sunday. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Stuart Smith said:

With all the hype about Mayfield I doubt Sam would have seen the field. Mayfield was Rhule’s new toy. It truly did Sam good to sit and learn. If McAdoo has worked with him it is apparent Sam listened. The next two games will determine Sam’s fate.

If we win the next 2 games and even win a playoffs game, I’m 100% OK with Sam as our QB and Wilks as our head coach. It’s incredible how much a great o line makes a QB looks good. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Tank said:

Of course not but it would be nice to have a coach and QB that can go 5 wide and spread it all over the field if the run game/play action isn’t working 

it would.

But we need to work with what we have and thus far, it's been working.