• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Mcadoo developing Darnold??

WOW!!

I don’t think anyone hates Darnold or wants him to fail. Some people like myself don’t want him as our main option because we have already fallen for that trick once. Cheap backup great, and I hope he lights it up. Odds are against him for a full turn around and we better plan accordingly.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

He made 15 completions last game and 14 the game before. I saw several dump offs to the check down. Let’s not pretend like he is making Josh Allen throws on a consistent level every game. Look on ESPN and other sports news sources. They all are talking about our running game because that’s our main focus. 

Let’s be fair though Jimmy. I don’t think anyone is saying “Josh Allen” stuff (if they are just don’t respond lol).

Sam however, is performing damn near perfectly in the role he currently has. Similar to how the 49ers QB’s manage the game. Make the occasional key throw. Don’t fug it up. 

If we have to solely rely on Sam to comeback and win a game throwing it around the yard, I don’t expect success, but then again, those QB’s are rare as it is. 

If we make the playoffs, we might find out if Sam has matured (it’s possible) and is legit. He would have to make more plays with his arm (I assume) at that level. 

• Pie 5

24 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Let’s be fair though Jimmy. I don’t think anyone is saying “Josh Allen” stuff (if they are just don’t respond lol).

Sam however, is performing damn near perfectly in the role he currently has. Similar to how the 49ers QB’s manage the game. Make the occasional key throw. Don’t fug it up. 

If we have to solely rely on Sam to comeback and win a game throwing it around the yard, I don’t expect success, but then again, those QB’s are rare as it is. 

If we make the playoffs, we might find out if Sam has matured (it’s possible) and is legit. He would have to make more plays with his arm (I assume) at that level. 

Sam has been a solid game manager especially when the running game is rolling. People claiming he is making constant “elite throws” are setting themselves up for disappointment while being a little dishonest. People are throwing around that “elite” word when referring to some basic NFL level passes. One was already claiming he is much better than peak Alex Smith with Andy Reid. I’m just checking some of these posts and having a more realistic approach. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Sam has been a solid game manager especially when the running game is rolling. People claiming he is making constant “elite throws” are setting themselves up for disappointment while being a little dishonest. People are throwing around that “elite” word when referring to some basic NFL level passes. One was already claiming he is much better than peak Alex Smith with Andy Reid. I’m just checking some of these posts and having a more realistic approach. 

You just are blinded by the hate goggles. 

The guy has an elite arm. Always has.

His problems have been all mental and he's growing. 

If his brain catches up with his body he'll be better than anyone coming out in this draft by far.

If his brain catches up. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

If his brain catches up with his body he'll be better than anyone coming out in this draft by far.

If his brain catches up. 

His arm is great! We just haven’t asked him to do too much with it this year for a reason. I just don’t think this year shows his mind has caught up. It’s a conservative, safe, mostly one read passing offense by design. Arm strength is there, but it was also there for Baker…

• Beer 1

41 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Long thread so I’m sure I missed some of those. I get your response to those claims for sure. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

If his brain catches up. 

It’s possible. When I compare my mental maturity in my early 20’s to mid 20’s…big difference. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Or maybe McAdoo was following Matt Drool's instructions?

How is it that he's now running the football with Wilks all of a sudden?  

Matt was the coach then. 

I think it's obvious that that was more Matt Rhule's call than Ben's.

I mentioned the potential that McAdoo was handcuffed by The Process in another post somewhere.  We don't know, but it was that and Wilks took the handcuffs off, or Wilks flat out told McAdoo that we are establishing the run,

Will the real Ben McAdoo please stand up. 

My guess  is it was some combination in between.  The decision to talk about running the football and then not doing it sounds like a classic move by The Process.  The idea that he was going to outsmart everybody.  The only people he outsmarted in the NFL were Hurney and Tepper.

My guess is that when they handed the keys to Wilks, he told McAdoo we needed to establish the run, but that may have gotten the response "no shite, I've been saying that since preseason." 

What is tougher to diagnose is the decision to acquire a QB whose best performances were while rolling out or using play action (here we go, back to establishing the run again), and then not rolling him out or running play action, and creating a situation that nobody was going to buy play action, anyway.  You'd like to think the HC is not so deep into the offense or defense that he is making those decisions (and lousing them up), but we are talking about that NFL sage also known as The Process.

We can't rule out that McAdoo may have had a hand in the buffoonery of not running the football or running plays the direct opposite of what Mayfield had done competently in the past, but the pattern almost perfectly fits a certain other person. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

ForJimmy is one of the more level headed posters here if you're saying he's posting with hate goggles you are only revealing just how delusional your own takes are just an fyi.

Oh yeah?

Well you're blinded with frankw goggles, so there.  🙃

17 minutes ago, frankw said:

ForJimmy is one of the more level headed posters here if you're saying he's posting with hate goggles you are only revealing just how delusional your own takes are just an fyi.

Coming from you?

If he has hate goggles you are equivalent to a hate Death Star

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I mentioned the potential that McAdoo was handcuffed by The Process in another post somewhere.  We don't know, but it was that and Wilks took the handcuffs off, or Wilks flat out told McAdoo that we are establishing the run,

Will the real Ben McAdoo please stand up. 

My guess  is it was some combination in between.  The decision to talk about running the football and then not doing it sounds like a classic move by The Process.  The idea that he was going to outsmart everybody.  The only people he outsmarted in the NFL were Hurney and Tepper.

My guess is that when they handed the keys to Wilks, he told McAdoo we needed to establish the run, but that may have gotten the response "no shite, I've been saying that since preseason." 

What is tougher to diagnose is the decision to acquire a QB whose best performances were while rolling out or using play action (here we go, back to establishing the run again), and then not rolling him out or running play action, and creating a situation that nobody was going to buy play action, anyway.  You'd like to think the HC is not so deep into the offense or defense that he is making those decisions (and lousing them up), but we are talking about that NFL sage also known as The Process.

We can't rule out that McAdoo may have had a hand in the buffoonery of not running the football or running plays the direct opposite of what Mayfield had done competently in the past, but the pattern almost perfectly fits a certain other person. 

I agree with all of this. I will add that I think Wilks realized what the reality of the situation was and accepted it for what it is.

We have to get back to basics. Get rid of the malcontents and start over with the pieces. We had a somewhat competitive defense, most days. The offense was a mess and couldn't even do anything remotely competitive. 

The qbs couldn't pass and the rbs couldn't get 100 yards if you spotted them 50 yrds. So the easiest fix was the run game because the qbs would take a miracle. It appears we can check the run game off the list. The defense is still not good but it'll do for now.

Now to step 2, the qbs.  Where do you start here? Im sure he and McAdoo had a game of rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to make that call. So Sam it is. All that is left  to do now is try get him comfortable in the pocket and able to read a defense. Its a tough challenge indeed but it looks to be showing a little progress.  Baby steps i guess.

So what you are seeing are the results of a methodical development of an nfl team. The only problem is I do not think they have enough time to see if it will work out. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I agree with all of this. I will add that I think Wilks realized what the reality of the situation was and accepted it for what it is.

We have to get back to basics. Get rid of the malcontents and start over with the pieces. We had a somewhat competitive defense, most days. The offense was a mess and couldn't even do anything remotely competitive. 

The qbs couldn't pass and the rbs couldn't get 100 yards if you spotted them 50 yrds. So the easiest fix was the run game because the qbs would take a miracle. It appears we can check the run game off the list. The defense is still not good but it'll do for now.

Now to step 2, the qbs.  Where do you start here? Im sure he and McAdoo had a game of rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to make that call. So Sam it is. All that is left  to do now is try get him comfortable in the pocket and able to read a defense. Its a tough challenge indeed but it looks to be showing a little progress.  Baby steps i guess.

So what you are seeing are the results of a methodical development of an nfl team. The only problem is I do not think they have enough time to see if it will work out. 

We are winning 3 straight minimum. 

That's a lock!