• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Derrick Brown: We want Steve Wilks to be our head coach

WarPanthers89

3 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Of the QB's on your list, only one won his SB in the past decade in the modern pass whacky NFL. By the time this year's SB is played, Flacco's win with the Ravens will be a decade old, before contemporary rule tweaks and offensive philosophies made the pass all but dominant. Everyone else but Foles won their Lombardi in different eras with rules that let receivers get murdered going over the middle, battered at the LOS and as they got into their routes, and protected the QB's against pass rushers far less.

Citing QB's who won their trophies in different eras of football doesn't really make your point, it undermines it.

ok, still cannot see taking a Qb top 10 that is not a sure thing. Of course what is a sure thing? How many top 10 Qb picks in last 10 years have become franchise Qbs versus faded away, became back ups or failed all together? How many franchise Qbs versus busts are below? I count 8 (of 32)  that are or could potentially be franchise qbs.  It is a total crap shoot

CAM NEWTON (PANTHERS), JAKE LOCKER (TITANS), BLAINE GABBERT (JAGUARS), CHRISTIAN PONDER (VIKINGS) - 2011.

ANDREW LUCK (COLTS), ROBERT GRIFFIN III (REDSKINS), RYAN TANNEHILL (DOLPHINS), BRANDON WEEDEN (BROWNS) - 2012

EJ MANUEL (BILLS) - 2013

BLAKE BORTLES (JAGUARS), JOHNNY MANZIEL (BROWNS), TEDDY BRIDGEWATER (VIKINGS) - 2014

JAMEIS WINSTON (BUCCANEERS), MARCUS MARIOTA (TITANS) - 2015

JARED GOFF (RAMS), CARSON WENTZ (EAGLES), PAXTON LYNCH (BRONCOS) - 2016

MITCHELL TRUBISKY (BEARS), PATRICK MAHOMES (CHIEFS), DESHAUN WATSON (TEXANS) - 2017

BAKER MAYFIELD (BROWNS), SAM DARNOLD (JETS), JOSH ALLEN (BILLS), JOSH ROSEN (CARDINALS), LAMAR JACKSON (RAVENS) - 2018

KYLER MURRAY (CARDINALS), DANIEL JONES (GIANTS), DWAYNE HASKINS (WASHINGTON) - 2019

JOE BURROW (BENGALS), TUA TAGOVAILOA (DOLPHINS), JUSTIN HERBERT (CHARGERS), JORDAN LOVE (PACKERS) - 2020

7 minutes ago, ADR said:

ok, still cannot see taking a Qb top 10 that is not a sure thing. Of course what is a sure thing? How many top 10 Qb picks in last 10 years have become franchise Qbs versus faded away, became back ups or failed all together? How many franchise Qbs versus busts are below? I count 8 (of 32)  that are or could potentially be franchise qbs.  It is a total crap shoot

CAM NEWTON (PANTHERS), JAKE LOCKER (TITANS), BLAINE GABBERT (JAGUARS), CHRISTIAN PONDER (VIKINGS) - 2011.

ANDREW LUCK (COLTS), ROBERT GRIFFIN III (REDSKINS), RYAN TANNEHILL (DOLPHINS), BRANDON WEEDEN (BROWNS) - 2012

EJ MANUEL (BILLS) - 2013

BLAKE BORTLES (JAGUARS), JOHNNY MANZIEL (BROWNS), TEDDY BRIDGEWATER (VIKINGS) - 2014

JAMEIS WINSTON (BUCCANEERS), MARCUS MARIOTA (TITANS) - 2015

JARED GOFF (RAMS), CARSON WENTZ (EAGLES), PAXTON LYNCH (BRONCOS) - 2016

MITCHELL TRUBISKY (BEARS), PATRICK MAHOMES (CHIEFS), DESHAUN WATSON (TEXANS) - 2017

BAKER MAYFIELD (BROWNS), SAM DARNOLD (JETS), JOSH ALLEN (BILLS), JOSH ROSEN (CARDINALS), LAMAR JACKSON (RAVENS) - 2018

KYLER MURRAY (CARDINALS), DANIEL JONES (GIANTS), DWAYNE HASKINS (WASHINGTON) - 2019

JOE BURROW (BENGALS), TUA TAGOVAILOA (DOLPHINS), JUSTIN HERBERT (CHARGERS), JORDAN LOVE (PACKERS) - 2020

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47nkp5o3119dloar790s

• Pie 1

I'm glad the players are happy right now but I'm tired of bad football. If you average the last 2 games then it comes out to not good enough. Looking at the whole of his work this year it's just not good enough, or it shouldn't be. 

His coaching connections are a negative. His coaching philosophy is a negative going from interim to full time, they are perfect for an interim HC. Having Holcomb tied to his hip is a big negative. You don't hire a HC to slip into the playoffs on a bad year, you hire a coach that can win a SB and hopefully keep contending for the next one. Wilks is very similar to Rivera, neither are bad coaches but neither are great coaches either, no matter how much their players love them. 

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, Kuhndog94 said:

Better win out then. If the players believe, I believe. 

But what I saw against the Steelers wasn't a team that wanted to keep their coach. So they might wanna figure it out in these next few weeks. I hope the lions game is indicative of the team we'll see going forward. 

As bad as that Steelers game was, it was an 8 point game and we responded.  Three out of four is not bad, and this is what Wilks has done without a mini and training camp to implement his philosophy.  I'm just not sure which candidate can come in and offer the same sort of improvement that Wilks has outside of Payton, but he isn't coming here.

Unless we can get a guy like Payton, hire Wilks.

The common theme I take away from these interviews between Derrick and Shaq is that some guys got special treatment and that didn't sit well with a lot of these guys.

I think McCaffrey and Side Show Bob were two of the special treatment guys and could be the main reason McCaffrey asked for a trade.  Wilks wasn't playing that game. 

43 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

Rather odd then that you would start a post with a link to an article that promotes that very thought.  One could be forgiven for thinking you were in general agreement with the premise of the article, no?

I did not start the post with the link I replied to it. And nope I was not agreeing or basing my thoughts on the article, my opinion was Wilkes is as good as any other choice we know of now before I saw what Derek Brown said. Show me someone who is proven better than Wilkes I am all for it. 

• Pie 1