• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Next Offensive and Defensive Coordinator

Chris Smitty

20 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

And he was an assistant in CLE while Wilks was OC. Then Rhule hired Holcomb in 2020 while Wilks went to the college ranks. They are not tied at the hip...

Wilks was an OC? I didn't realize that

RE: Holcomb, that's true, and it is possible I'm wrong on him being retained. What I'd read made it sound like Holcomb and Wilks were very close.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

I think it's fair to wager that Wilks would keep him on staff in some capacity. I don't think he would necessarily be handed the DC position, though.

Wilks has been working his entire life towards the goal of becoming a successful NFL HC. He has been around the league long enough to see how the game works. He has also had the chance to learn from the mistakes he made putting together his first staff.

I will go back to my original comment and expand some. When he was hired in zona, he could have picked about anyone(within reason) to be DC. He choose AL. Hes made comments about how they know each other well and trusts AL with the play calling. Just about all signs point to Al remaining DC if wilks is HC. I would be shocked if he replaced AL, about the only way if ron rivera got canned and asked a favor to be the DC. 

If its a unknown about the OC hire and I already do not care for AL as DC. Thus my feelings toward keeping wilks around even though hes been impressive. 

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, top dawg said:

People here seem to assume that Wilks would just get new coordinators. I'll believe it when I see it.

They've "turned it around" as a unit, so  I just don't see him axing the guys that helped him get the job. 

It's definitely possible.

Not entirely sure everybody on staff sticks around though.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Wilks was an OC? I didn't realize that

RE: Holcomb, that's true, and it is possible I'm wrong on him being retained. What I'd read made it sound like Holcomb and Wilks were very close.

stump didnt mean OC, wilks was the DC there in a terrible browns deal..

• Pie 2

36 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Wilks didn't have hiring power at his college job.

The two times he's been a head coach, he's named Holcomb his DC.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

I will go back to my original comment and expand some. When he was hired in zona, he could have picked about anyone(within reason) to be DC. He choose AL.

To be clear, you are probably correct...

But, we don't really know. Maybe Bidwell told Wilks he had to bring some of that sweet Panthers magic with him and McCoy and Holcomb were the only ones who hadn't already jumped ship to Buffalo.

The two men are definitely close. They are both direct disciples of the Chosen Ron. They have worked together for most of their careers. I highly doubt that Wilks would ask Holcomb to accept a de facto demotion. But, Tepper might...

Wilks must go through the interview process just like everyone else. After coaching 12+ games for the team, what other questions would Tepper have for the man, other than, "If you were the HC from day 1, what would you have done differently in 2022?" and "If you are HC in 2023, how would you fill out your coaching staff?"

18 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

Who else on the current staff would you prefer he had picked? He only had 4 guys to choose from!

this is a very fair comment, and I think part of my assumption he'd retain Holcomb is because I view Wilks a lot like Rivera, which isn't fair to Wilks (and not meant entirely as an insult - I have a lot of respect for Rivera and think he's not a bad coach, just also not an amazing one, in part because he's too loyal to his friends).

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

Who else on the current staff would you prefer he had picked? He only had 4 guys to choose from!

Surprisingly Snow didn't leave with Rhule.  He might have left on his own, but we'll never know.  Wilks fired Snow.  Wilks had disagreements before, saying Snow wasn't running an NFL defense.  So far,  Wilks' NFL D is worse than Snow's.

He also fired a ST coach, cause you know, the problem early in the season was with the D and ST, obviously. /sarc

After the Bengals humiliation Wilks fired cornerbacks coach Evan Cooper and defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni, clearly scapegoating since the D looks worse since Wilks took over and his D in Arizona was absolute dogshlt.

He left the nonperforming O staff in tact. 

Edited by poundaway
  • Beer 1

This weekend will make the decision on Wilks.  He's already trending down because we got our butts whipped at home against the Owner's old team.  I am sure that still stings for Tepper. 

The only thing, IMO, that gives Wilks the job is winning the NFCS. I am 99.9% sure that if Wilks. stays as HC Holcomb will be our DC.  I am tossed as to whether we retain McAdoo.  McAdoo has a good offense when it is uncontested but when a defense bottles his running game up, he doesn't seem to have an answer.  That will reflect on the HC so Wilks needs to think long and hard on keeping McAdoo as OC.

I think another factor will be if Levis is available at our pick.  Seems Tepper really likes him and might insist Fitterer draft him.  If he does I think he'll want an OC that can develop Levis.