• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport and Pelissero talk head coach openings

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

When I look at Frank Reich led offenses, I see a disturbing amount of mediocrity.

2014 - San Diego OC, 17th scoring offense

2015 - San Diego OC, 26th scoring offense

2016 - Philly OC, 16th scoring offense

2017 - Philly OC, 3rd scoring offense (Carson Wentz plays out of his mind)

2018 - Indy HC, 6th scoring offense (Andrew Luck's final season)

2019 - Indy HC, 16th scoring offense

2020 - Indy HC, 9th scoring offense

2021 - Indy HC, 9th scoring offense

2022 - Indy HC, 30th scoring offense

Overall, his offenses are averaging about 15th in scoring.  It appears that Reich needs a QB to play amazing in order to have a good offense.  I think he would have a better chance than Wilks, but I don't think it's any sort of home run that he'll turn the team around.

What OC doesn't need a qb to play out of his mind to have a top offense? That doesn't make any sense. 

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

If Jalen Hurst hadn't been playing out of his mind would you guys still be wanting his OC? Of course not.

Even if he were playing mediocre, Steichen still had his hands on River's late career revival in SD, as well as Herbert's assent as a top QB in the NFL in only his rookie season.

Dude coached 3 separate kinds of QBs into pro bowlers.

I am intrigued. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Even if he were playing mediocre, Steichen still had his hands on River's late career revival in SD, as well as Herbert's assent as a top QB in the NFL in only his rookie season.

I am intrigued. 

I am leary. 

You could give the qb coach as much or more credit if you're being honest. I'm just not the type to fall for the latest hot media slurping coaching candidates. Fans fall for that stuff all the time.  Let's see how it shakes out.

Call me a skeptic.

• Pie 2

36 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I am leary. 

You could give the qb coach as much or more credit if you're being honest. I'm just not the type to fall for the latest hot media slurping coaching candidates. Fans fall for that stuff all the time.  Let's see how it shakes out.

Call me a skeptic.

He was Both Rivers and Herbert's QB Coach, then got promoted to Herbert's OC.

Then he went to Philly as their OC and helped Jalen turn into an MVP candidate. 

39 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I am leary. 

Call me a skeptic.

I like and respect your skepticism but I think Steichen looks like a great candidate and his work stands up to scrutiny. If there is a problem with him I can't see it. 

I would rather take a chance on him over JH who wants absolute control when his offense was what kept him from a SB. No guarantees but I'll take the coach that made 3 QBS look their best over the rest as it stands now. 

54 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

And that's the only reason. Like I pointed out, an OC is only as good as his qb. If you don't have one you are looking for one. 

Their QBs improved under their coaching, much like so many of our players magically improved when Matt Rhule was no longer in charge.

Coaching absolutely matters.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I am intrigued. 

Before the media heat, that one my reasoning with him. If its a "QB" league, who is great in the last five years? Steichen looks like the best, cannot get AndY Reid(reasonable). The before and after with Teams/QBs also shows Steichen had a HUGE effect...herbo took a step back after having the best rookie QB season in NFL history, rivers looked better than prime-version, hurts looks like the mvp and the year without steichen he looked like a Darnold path was happening. 

Im not fad person, but the young offense HC has had great recent results. You need to be able to use alllllllllllllllllll the new technology available......just facts that mid-late 30s old years are better than 60+ dudes who grew up with film.....  

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Good points overall, though I gotta say I genuinely don't give a flying sh-t about the "marketability" of our assistant coaches.

I would have to agree with Mike. I also agree with you about marketability. Maybe he meant selling Tepper on them? Either way I don't care. Want to sell me on the group? Win. Develop a good qb, a deep team and win consistently.  Do that and I'm all aboard baby.