• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

33 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

I do not want Payton for a couple of reasons:

1.  Character.  He does not have it..we all know about that.

2. He is not interested in building a team for long tern success.  He wants to come in, get his ring (or try) and leave the team in salary cap hell when he goes back to his cushy TV job and home in LA.

I prefer a coach in this for the long term who can build the team for sustained success,  not a 1 and done.

This is where I disagree. It's so hard to win even 1 SB and after being so close in 2003 and 2015 and coming away empty, I'll take one even if it means bad teams for years on end. I'm sure Denver wouldn't trade SB50 for 10+ win seasons and playoff flameouts instead. Beggars can't be choosers.

1 hour ago, UNCrules2187 said:

For those of us (like me) getting antsy that we haven't moved on a coach yet, something to consider - here's when each coach in last season's coaching carousel was hired (regular season ended 1/9/22):

Nathaniel Hackett - 1/27/22

Matt Eberflus - 1/27/22

Brian Daboll - 1/28/22 

Josh McDaniels - 1/31/22

Doug Pederson - 2/4/22

Mike McDaniel - 2/6/22

Lovie Smith - 2/7/22

Dennis Allen - 2/8/22

Kevin O'Connell - 2/16/22

Todd Bowles - 3/30/22 (extenuating circumstances here)

Most likely we will not name a HC until likely the middle of next week at the very earliest. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a situation similar to TB. If KC wins the SB and Reid retires. Probably not but a possibility.

1 hour ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Todd Bowles is 59, Mike McCarthy is 59, John Harbaugh is 60, Ron Rivera is 61, Andy Reid is 64, Belichick is 70, Pete Carroll is 71. I don't think Payton taking another year off is really going to hurt his mystique or give him a lack of options. Owners will chase after him and if he takes a couple of years off to recharge, I could see him easily coaching another decade (he just turned 59 last month).

It's not just his age.

I think he knew things were trending down for him the year he left. He used to be at least somewhat unique with his offense, but over the last few years high scoring offenses have started to become the norm.

People have a tendency to see players for who they used to be. I think that's probably true of coaches as well.

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

This is where I disagree. It's so hard to win even 1 SB and after being so close in 2003 and 2015 and coming away empty, I'll take one even if it means bad teams for years on end. I'm sure Denver wouldn't trade SB50 for 10+ win seasons and playoff flameouts instead. Beggars can't be choosers.

I can't sign on to that.

Said before that makes us sound like the desperate girl who just wants somebody anybody to ask her out, even if it's a loser.

Said it before: We used to make fun of Tampa fans who kept talking about their Super Bowl five or ten years later. Now we'd give anything to be like them 😖

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

38 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

What is your proof of this? This sounds like a wild assumption. He coached the Saints for 16 years... there is no data showing he would come in ruin a franchise and leave.

Payton is a lot older now.  He is not into this for the long haul  he was with the Saints as long as Bree’s would suck it up and play   He has never had to groom a young qb with the saints   Hill isn’t a true QB 

It makes no difference as Tepper is going to do whatever Tepper wants to  

His franchise 

frankly, I’m not big on Payton and Bountygate considering as well that Newton was one of the players they wanted to put on a stretcher and his little Vicodin episode with the trainer

to this day, I’m not sure why he wasn’t banned for life and why the NFLPA didn’t insist on it 

• Beer 1

55 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

2. He is not interested in building a team for long tern success.  He wants to come in, get his ring (or try) and leave the team in salary cap hell when he goes back to his cushy TV job and home in LA.

I prefer a coach in this for the long term who can build the team for sustained success,  not a 1 and done.

Regarding point 2 I’ll put up with 15 years of mediocrity for just one ring.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not just his age.

I think he knew things were trending down for him the year he left. He used to be at least somewhat unique with his offense, but over the last few years high scoring offenses have started to become the norm.

People have a tendency to see players for who they used to be. I think that's probably true of coaches as well.

A lot of truth to this. Mike Martz was an offensive wunderkind... until he wasn't.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

NFL is year to year anyway. I want a super bowl. I’d sacrifice a few seasons of mediocrity for a super bowl win. But I don’t think payton is one and done either.

Honestly, what does contending for years without any SB rings to show for it get you? Isn't the point of this sport to reach the pinnacle? I would take 10 years of mediocrity for 1 SB win rather than 10 straight years of playoffs and no SB wins.

It's the hope that kills you.

• Pie 3

not the biggest fan of Payton the personality but if he wants to get his ring and get out, that's fine with me. so long as you get the ring. and if he's going to do everything he can to get that ring, that's also fine with me. and I think putting up with years of mediocrity to get a ring is a false premise. generally the people trying their damnedest to get a ring aren't going to be mediocre very often.

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

Honestly, what does contending for years without any SB rings to show for it get you? Isn't the point of this sport to reach the pinnacle? I would take 10 years of mediocrity for 1 SB win rather than 10 straight years of playoffs and no SB wins.

It's the hope that kills you.

This is basically saying that you'd rather have Jon Gruden than Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin won his, yes, but hasn't been back for several years now. Still, he keeps his team in contention and has yet to have a losing season.

Gordon won his and then dragged the team down the sh-tter.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is basically saying that you'd rather have Jon Gruden than Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin won his, yes, but hasn't been back for several years now. Still, he keeps his team in contention and has yet to have a losing season.

Gordon won his and then dragged the team down the sh-tter.

I mean I don't think they're the same since Tomlin winning one immediately means they aren't the comparison folks here are making. They were saying ring + mediocre for 10 years vs good but no ring for 10 years. 

Obviously all of us would rather have consistently good with a SB win than just a SB win.

• Pie 1