• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

7 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Kafka is slowly climbing up my leaderboards in terms of who I actually want.

Apparently Reid was grooming him to take over OC duties once Bienemy got a HC job, but Bienemy never did, so he went and got an OC job with Daboll, and dude turned some chicken salad out of some chicken poo up in NY. I think they ended up being top 10 in DVOA offensively with no receivers, a patchwork line, and Daniel Jones at QB.

That's impressive.

Couple that with the fact he helped make Mahomes Mahomes, he learned under Andy Reid but has shown success without Reid involved unlike every other one of his disciples, and his adaptability to the atrocious personnel he was handed with the Giants, I am very intrigued.

Serious question, is the QB coach for Mahomes a good thing? I get he is the best QB in the league and came in pretty raw. However much of what Mahomes does on the fields isn’t technically sound, it’s not what your typical NFL QB should/could do. It looks like Mahomes is playing backyard football sometimes, but he can pull it off because he is one of the best if not the best QBs from a talent view as well…

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

57 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Serious question, is the QB coach for Mahomes a good thing? I get he is the best QB in the league and came in pretty raw. However much of what Mahomes does on the fields isn’t technically sound, it’s not what your typical NFL QB should/could do. It looks like Mahomes is playing backyard football sometimes, but he can pull it off because he is one of the best if not the best QBs from a talent view as well…

II think it is. He still helped bring him along and coached him up. Not all of Mahomes' game is backyard football. His highlight reel plays, yes, but the rest of the time he is a sound QB making the right reads and delivering the ball to his playmakers. 

95% of Mahomes' game is Great fundamental QB play from down to down, the last 5% are the ridiculous no look/left handed passes/Scramble drill bombs that makes him the best in the league.

• Pie 1

I am a fan who is very pro player and generally despises most owners especially in the NFL where they control so much. But in 2010 players also raved about Marty Hurney. Doesn't ultimately mean much or signal big or great things are on the horizon. We actually had our best years under Gettlegut (until he torpedoed the roster getting cute) who many would regard as a total dick. Just hire a coach that has the right plan to bring this offense into the year 2023 with the rest of the contending teams in our conference. If it's Wilks we'll accept it and hope for the best but if this goes South I will never want to hear again about how much so and so like this or that coach.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 3

27 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

II think it is. He still helped bring him along and coached him up. Not all of Mahomes' game is backyard football. His highlight reel plays, yes, but the rest of the time he is a sound QB making the right reads and delivering the ball to his playmakers. 

95% of Mahomes' game is Great fundamental QB play from down to down, the last 5% are the ridiculous no look/left handed passes/Scramble drill bombs that makes him the best in the league.

That’s fair and my opinion probably comes from watching his highlights vs actual games.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

30 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Truth be told, if you're going to judge Kafka I'd probably look more closely at what he did with Daniel Jones then Patrick Mahomes.

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Truth be told, if you're going to judge Kafka I'd probably look more closely at what he did with Daniel Jones then Patrick Mahomes.

BTW, Scot, where's the traditional Coach candidate breakdown thread? I think we pretty much have all the candidates in consideration at this point.

16 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Commanders fired OC Scott Turner.

Turner's offense finished 28th in offensive DVOA in 2022. He again was weighted down with a bad quarterback in Carson Wentz, one that forced the Commanders to turn to Taylor Heinicke yet again. Turner's offensive philosophy is not a bad one and he finally had enough wideouts to stress the defense this past season. He could resurface elsewhere in the NFL as an OC soon enough, but someone had to fall on the sword for this offense after three years without an empirical breakthrough. 

NGL, I actually thought Turner called a really good game while here.  Norv and Scott had a post-shoulder injury Cam completing almost 70% of his passes in good rhythm prior to the infamous TJ Watt hit IIRC.

40 minutes ago, frankw said:

I am a fan who is very pro player and generally despises most owners especially in the NFL where they control so much. But in 2010 players also raved about Marty Hurney. Doesn't ultimately mean much or signal big or great things are on the horizon. We actually had our best years under Gettlegut (until he torpedoed the roster getting cute) who many would regard as a total dick. Just hire a coach that has the right plan to bring this offense into the year 2023 with the rest of the contending teams in our conference. If it's Wilks we'll accept it and hope for the best but if this goes South I will never want to hear again about how much so and so like this or that coach.

Agree with your sentiment here, but I want to point out, as I pounded the table saying back in Gettleman's tenure here, he really won with Hurney's core.  He supplemented it with some incredible bargain bin buys and that's what rounded the team out...  and IMO, both your stars and the supporting cast are important for their own reasons, but the stars are more important because that's the bulk of your production.  Hurney left Gettleman with Cam, Olsen, Smitty, Luke, TD, Norman, etc.  That 2015 team doesn't sniff 7-9 without Cam.  Period.  

All that being said, if we could've found a GM who had the proper balance between the two - Hurney's ability to hit on every first rounder with a huge impact while not being an asshole, and Gettleman's ability to find value for bottom dollar in FA.  Ultimately, Gettleman hurt us a lot more than he helped us.  Had he had the networking skills of Hurney or even Fitt and had swung a deal for some legit protection for Cam and not wasted a pick on KB's worthless fat ass, Cam is likely still playing at near-prime level right now, and our Superbowl window is still open.  I often say it, but Gettleman shut our Superbowl window almost as quickly as it opened with his shrewd, disrespectful, and arrogant behavior while he was here, paired with his shitty drafting.

But anyway...  lol, I agree with you about not going off player's recommendations.  There are personal relationships built in that locker room that may or may not cloud one's ability to judge what is actually best for a team moving forward.  Also, worth noting, a lot of guys making those vouches right now may very well not be here in 6 months.

• Beer 2

What has always concerned me is that Tepper would "shoot safely" after looking like a fool with The Process.  If he does, and he seems to be getting a lot of urging in that direction from the media, Wilks will be the HC.

Whether Tepper is listening to that urging all that much is another story.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Kafka is slowly climbing up my leaderboards in terms of who I actually want.

Apparently Reid was grooming him to take over OC duties once Bienemy got a HC job, but Bienemy never did, so he went and got an OC job with Daboll, and dude turned some chicken salad out of some chicken poo up in NY. I think they ended up being top 10 in DVOA offensively with no receivers, a patchwork line, and Daniel Jones at QB.

That's impressive.

Couple that with the fact he helped make Mahomes Mahomes, he learned under Andy Reid but has shown success without Reid involved unlike every other one of his disciples, and his adaptability to the atrocious personnel he was handed with the Giants, I am very intrigued.

I actually thought about Kafka earlier in the season before i ever heard his name being mentioned, and I didn't even realize he had been with the Chiefs.  I remember watching him in college and being impressed with his play...  not in like a, "OMG, this guy is a superstar!" kind of way, but more like a "this guy is cerebral, tough, and a leader who makes something out of nothing" type way, and I wondered if it would translate to the pros.

But I will say, sometimes I get a bit wary of OCs under former superstar OCs turned HCs, like Kafka under Daboll.  Like how much of that playcalling and scheme is Kafka versus Daboll's?  I just don't see OCs who become HCs going completely hands-off on what they know best and excel at.

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Its a good point. A lot of what makes Mahomes Mahomes isn't the things you'd teach a QB to do. Hell, a lot of it is stuff you'd specifically teach them NOT to do.

• Pie 3