• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

I'm just not ready to turn the HC keys over to guys like Kafka and Dorsey. I think they're good, but not quite there yet for HC timelines. 

If Kafka doesn't get hired this cycle and the NYG continue to do what they did in '23, I can see him being the Steichen/Johnson of 2024 OCs. 

• Beer 1

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

What's the latest with Carolina's search?

Graziano: Former Colts and Lions coach Jim Caldwell interviewed Monday, and my understanding was that interim head coach Steve Wilks was set to interview there Tuesday, but most of Carolina's external early list is young offensive coordinators. The Panthers have put in requests to interview Buffalo's Ken Dorsey, Philadelphia's Shane Steichen, Detroit's Ben Johnson and the Giants' Mike Kafka. Carolina is determined to fix its longstanding problem at quarterback, and for that reason it's possible it could look to one of the up-and-coming offensive coordinators to oversee that process.

Caldwell is an interesting name, because he brings the offensive background as well as previous NFL head-coaching experience. Wilks had the team playing well down the stretch and for a while looked like the favorite to keep the job, but his candidacy is losing a bit of steam. The biggest thing for him if he's trying to sell the Panthers on keeping him is probably his plan for fixing the offense, which of course requires figuring out quarterback.

Fowler: To your point about quarterbacks, Dan, those OC names have been on the Panthers' radar for a while. As the logic goes, the Panthers knew they had Wilks as a prime candidate with a defensive background, so they went heavy on offense with the rest of the pool. Wilks has a solid offensive staff to sell David Tepper, to be sure. But multiple people I've spoken to around the league think the young coordinators have their advantages for a QB-starved franchise. Frank Reich is interviewing for the head-coaching job but could end up a strong coordinator candidate. The Panthers could start knocking out an interview per day, either in-person or via videoconference.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/35420999/nfl-head-coach-openings-latest-buzz-rumors-candidates-broncos-cardinals-panthers-including-sean-payton-jim-harbaugh

• Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Paywall 😕

Yeah that's why I only included the Carolina portion and left the rest out. If that's a no-no, can edit it out.

Other highlights:

Denver: Payton is their top choice, but he may not want them. Payton likely waiting out to see what happens with the LA gigs.

Arizona: Vance Joseph expected to be a candidate. Need someone who will maximize and challenge Murray.

Harbaugh - wants Colts job but will take any job if offered 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Of course, they are yet to disclose the frontrunner:  Paul McGonagle.  He's the very successful head coach of the Endicott College Power Gulls.  6-0 this year in the Commonwealth Coast Conference, 10-1 overall with their only loss being a nail-biter to Springfield in the NCAA D3 playoffs.  He's never had a record in his four seasons at Endicott. 

And I hear his wife makes a great meat loaf.

Gawd, I hope Tepper is not reading this!

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Of course, they are yet to disclose the frontrunner:  Paul McGonagle.  He's the very successful head coach of the Endicott College Power Gulls.  6-0 this year in the Commonwealth Coast Conference, 10-1 overall with their only loss being a nail-biter to Springfield in the NCAA D3 playoffs.  He's never had a record in his four seasons at Endicott. 

Did he ever work as a short order cook by chance?

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Where's Hurney? We need an outside consultant immediately to switch on recruiting mode behind the scenes before the Giants[edit: obviously not them but whomever we actually are competing with for coaches next year] get wind of our plans

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 1