• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It time for a culture change

Malt Liquor

I want a more explosive offense but you can’t deny that this is a playoff team had Wilks not taken over sooner.

Horn being out was the reason we lost to Tampa. Refs stole W’s against the Browns and Falcons. That would have made us a 10 win team. 

A 10 win team with no real stud opposite Burns, no emerging TE, average at best QB play. The team is talented in the right parts to take the next step. Another solid draft and some stability at QB will make us a scary team. A new HC could squander the talent we have and upend a lot of progress trying to make it “their team”.

• Pie 2

40 minutes ago, frankw said:

I agree. Unfortunately the OC turned head coach route isn't without it's risks either. It's a roll of the dice but it is time we tried something different.

Its definitely a risk and maybe its just my personality but I would still rather gamble swinging for the fence than take a safe single.  Singles are all we've ever had as a franchise so to speak.  Plenty of safe conservative defensive coaches.  If you're asking me to pick between high floor low ceiling or low floor high ceiling,  I'm always taking the ceiling 

• Beer 3

18 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This was the same rallying cry that brought us Matt Rhule. 

Matt Rhule was never an offensive minded head coach. Every place he has been he brought Phil Snow with him and they fixed the defense but they never had great offense. Matt Rhule has been a head coach for like 10 years and he has had an offense ranked in the top half of the NFL or College 1 time. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

I want a more explosive offense but you can’t deny that this is a playoff team had Wilks not taken over sooner.

Horn being out was the reason we lost to Tampa. Refs stole W’s against the Browns and Falcons. That would have made us a 10 win team. 

A 10 win team with no real stud opposite Burns, no emerging TE, average at best QB play. The team is talented in the right parts to take the next step. Another solid draft and some stability at QB will make us a scary team. A new HC could squander the talent we have and upend a lot of progress trying to make it “their team”.

A playoff team this year is a giant asterisk when you consider how bad the NFC South was - it would have been an early exit the second we played a team with any semblance of a run defense. The Steelers physically dominated us with their backup QB, and we didn't even belong on the same field as the Bengals. I shudder to think of what would happen against the Niners or Eagles.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This was the same rallying cry that brought us Matt Rhule. 

I am beyond convinced that a large percentage of Huddle members spend their entire paychecks on lottery tickets.

"You spent $1000 on lottery tickets?"
"Yeah but I could win $5000!"
"But the odds are astronomical and you're way more likely to just be out $1000!"
"You can't get better unless you try!"

Just now, frankw said:

I prefer to go offense and try a new path but Nathaniel Hackett is a fresh cautionary tale I cannot deny that.

It's also worth considering that the odds of Tepper hiring someone like Nathaniel Hackett, or even Nathaniel Hackett himself, are overwhelming. It's almost a guarantee at this point. Then, looking back, people will wish Wilks was kept.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

It's also worth considering that the odds of Tepper hiring someone like Nathaniel Hackett, or even Nathaniel Hackett himself, are overwhelming. It's almost a guarantee at this point. Then, looking back, people will wish Wilks was kept.

Hey! How dare you forget Mrs. Tepper. Between the two of them and the wheeler dealer himself Scott Fitterer we for sure should be contending for Super Bowls very soon.

• The D 1

Just now, frankw said:

Hey! How dare you forget Mrs. Tepper. Between the two of them and the wheeler dealer himself Scott Fitterer we for sure should be contending for Super Bowls very soon.

That's why I want Wilks. Not because he's 1A, but because he's far better than anyone Tepper can find. Plus, the players want him -- which, when he's not chosen, keep an eye on how tough it is to lure FAs here without paying twice the market rate.

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

That's why I want Wilks. Not because he's 1A, but because he's far better than anyone Tepper can find. Plus, the players want him -- which, when he's not chosen, keep an eye on how tough it is to lure FAs here without paying twice the market rate.

Might as well bring Ron onto the staff after he's canned in Washington.