• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

HC Candidate List

Bear Hands

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Can't say for certain, but it honestly sounds like the Panthers didn't bother requesting.

So basically, we wound up pursuing neither Payton nor Harbaugh.

Which makes sense because both of those guys would want complete roster control. Rhule scared Tepper from doing that again, plus I think he told Fitt he gets to be a real GM this time.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Screams loud and clear that we either know we're sticking with Wilks or that we know that we're going offense.

Yeah if we go with a defensive guy it’s Wilks. I have a feeling we want Johnson though. Plus we interviewed way more offensive guys which makes me think we are leaning that way…

• Beer 2

43 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Which makes sense because both of those guys would want complete roster control. Rhule scared Tepper from doing that again, plus I think he told Fitt he gets to be a real GM this time.

I have to say that I agree with this. So at least he is learning from his mistakes.

33 minutes ago, Martin said:

I have to say that I agree with this. So at least he is learning from his mistakes.

I neither agree nor disagree. I think certain guys are deserving of it. Rhule was not. So because he was a dumbass and gave roster control to the wrong guy, now he’s not interested in the absolute top tier coaching candidates because they want roster control. It’s just over correcting.

20 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I neither agree nor disagree. I think certain guys are deserving of it. Rhule was not. So because he was a dumbass and gave roster control to the wrong guy, now he’s not interested in the absolute top tier coaching candidates because they want roster control. It’s just over correcting.

Maybe in the past, when the game was simpler and there weren't additional factors like a salary cap to deal with, I'd have agreed.

These days though, it's highly rare to see that sort of model work.

Overall, I'm not a fan of Tepper's football decision making, but in this case I think he's getting it right.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Not being in the running for Harbaugh and Payton is just such a nice gift after the last couple of years. 

Ryans is kind of confusing to me. I didn't want a defensive guy but he is such a better coach than Wilks that if we were to end up hiring Wilks and not interviewing the much better candidate than it's a very bad sign going forward that there is a lot more to learn. That's like hiring Rivera over McD. It's offensive or bust looking at the candidate list post Ryans. Lol at Mayo and not Ryans. They need to talk to Ryans because that is the kind of DC you pay for with a black check and then again when he is getting HC interviews. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Maybe in the past, when the game was simpler and there weren't additional factors like a salary cap to deal with, I'd have agreed.

These days though, it's highly rare to see that sort of model work.

Overall, I'm not a fan of Tepper's football decision making, but in this case I think he's getting it right.

I agree, the coach needs to focus 100% on coaching. They will obviously be working with the GM, but you need to separate the duties.

• Beer 1

59 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Not being in the running for Harbaugh and Payton is just such a nice gift after the last couple of years. 

Ryans is kind of confusing to me. I didn't want a defensive guy but he is such a better coach than Wilks that if we were to end up hiring Wilks and not interviewing the much better candidate than it's a very bad sign going forward that there is a lot more to learn. That's like hiring Rivera over McD. It's offensive or bust looking at the candidate list post Ryans. Lol at Mayo and not Ryans. They need to talk to Ryans because that is the kind of DC you pay for with a black check and then again when he is getting HC interviews. 

Do we know which side cancelled the interview for now?

6 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'd imagine Ryans decided to postpone since he has a playoff game today. Seems like it would be a bit of a distraction for him and the defense

Latest news makes it sound like it's not gonna happen at all.

Possible reason...

I think that was probably the plan for McDaniels but Belichick screwed him out of other opportunities so that bridge might be burned.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Latest news makes it sound like it's not gonna happen at all.

Possible reason...

I think that was probably the plan for McDaniels but Belichick screwed him out of other opportunities so that bridge might be burned.

What does this have to do with whether Demeco Ryans decides to reschedule his interview after the 9ers game today?