• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

HC Candidate List

Bear Hands

Just now, TheCasillas said:

But what if Tepper doesnt offer more? How does this tactic work...? Walton is faaaaaaar richer than Tepper.

Then Payton knows he got all he can out of Denver and accepts their job.

He knows how bad Tepper wants him so it’s a good play to TRY and get a bidding war going between those two teams.

8 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Did you see that from a report or something re:traction with Kafka?  Just curious.  

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/carolina-panthers-head-coach-candidates-ranked-2023/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=carolina-panthers-head-coach-candidates-ranked-2023

This was hours before the Ben Johnson news.

12 minutes ago, Tbe said:

He knows how bad Tepper wants him so it’s a good play to TRY and get a bidding war going between those two teams.

He has already sparked that though by name dropping them both in his podcast, daughter's youtube series, and segment on Cowherd's show. 

There isnt really much he can do to add to it. I doubt he is in this just for the money.. the guy was making 10 million a year with Fox. Im sure he wants to come back to the NFL to compete not collect a paycheck. He was making more just commentating. 

27 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I just mentioned it in the other thread, but that sounds like the same thing that happened with Tepper and Rhule, when Tepper outbid himself for Rhule and then Rhule took the offer back to the Giants, like the slimeball he is, and asked if they'd match it and they didnt.

But the difference here is, I don't think Rhule really cared about the state of the franchise he was undertaking or any of that, he just wanted to swindle one for the most money he could get and then try to spitball it as he went along.  Whereas, Payton knows what he's doing and has a criteria he is looking for.  And as I mentioned elsewhere, he has made his living off scheming the middle of the field open.  Denver is married to Wilson for at least 3 more years, IIRC, and his biggest weakness is seeing the middle of the field - which is why many have speculated he played so badly this year under Hackett.  Payton has also laid out in his interviews what his preferences are in a job...  If he wants a heavy amount of sway in personnel and control, would he rather take a job where he has to figure it out with a QB that doesn't play to the strengths of his system for the next 3 years?  Or would he rather take a job where he gets to pick his own guy and mold the offense to his system and preferences?

Also, if his interest is legitimately genuine here, I also think as a competitor, would you rather take a job with a team that already has an established winning history (ahem, cheating), or would you rather take over a team that hasn't won it all yet, where you would be making the legacy all yours?

I just don't see the Denver job as attractive at all, objectively.  And anyway, fug them.

8 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I just mentioned it in the other thread, but that sounds like the same thing that happened with Tepper and Rhule, when Tepper outbid himself for Rhule and then Rhule took the offer back to the Giants, like the slimeball he is, and asked if they'd match it and they didnt.

But the difference here is, I don't think Rhule really cared about the state of the franchise he was undertaking or any of that, he just wanted to swindle one for the most money he could get and then try to spitball it as he went along.  Whereas, Payton knows what he's doing and has a criteria he is looking for.  And as I mentioned elsewhere, he has made his living off scheming the middle of the field open.  Denver is married to Wilson for at least 3 more years, IIRC, and his biggest weakness is seeing the middle of the field - which is why many have speculated he played so badly this year under Hackett.  Payton has also laid out in his interviews what his preferences are in a job...  If he wants a heavy amount of sway in personnel and control, would he rather take a job where he has to figure it out with a QB that doesn't play to the strengths of his system for the next 3 years?  Or would he rather take a job where he gets to pick his own guy and mold the offense to his system and preferences?

Also, if his interest is legitimately genuine here, I also think as a competitor, would you rather take a job with a team that already has an established winning history (ahem, cheating), or would you rather take over a team that hasn't won it all yet, where you would be making the legacy all yours?

I just don't see the Denver job as attractive at all, objectively.  And anyway, fug them.

I can see both sides of it.

Denver has money, a great defense, and a Super Bowl winning QB that needs a better system. 

We have an ok defense, a great OL, a weak division, cap space, and the ability for him to get any QB he wants (similar to when he took the saints job).

I think he wants money PLUS legacy. He wants another ring to cement himself as one of the best and he wants a team that will get him there soon.

If you believe the rumors that he had a falling out with Saints ownership, then maybe he wants to be in this division. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Denver has money, a great defense, and a Super Bowl winning QB that needs a better system. 

We have an ok defense, a great OL, a weak division, cap space, and the ability for him to get any QB he wants (similar to when he took the saints job).

I think he wants money PLUS legacy. He wants another ring to cement himself as one of the best and he wants a team that will get him there soon.

If you believe the rumors that he had a falling out with Saints ownership, then maybe he wants to be in this division. 

I agree.  I've thought about your last point too.  Again, if I can get it out of my mind that it's some kind of ulterior motive from him to screw us over, I can see that maybe, just maybe, he has an axe to grind with NO, and thus, he has extra incentive to come here rather than anywhere else to make their lives hell...  and I would absolutely love that.

And as you pointed out, I also think the division, regardless of his previous history with it or NO, is much more attractive because it is completely in flux and up for grabs for the next decade, combine that with the flexibility our team offers with good young pieces and the positioning to add more quickly...  to me it just makes the most sense for any coach considering the two jobs.

10 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I believe the last line is the motivating factor, regardless of what is said publicly. These guys have egos and I am positive Payton would want to prove his previous employer wrong.

21 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

Because I’m waiting for some coach to get a completely nasty bag full of money which pisses of the other owners. Then you will have some of the teams that have smaller markets and revenues complain that they can’t compete with franchises like the Cowboys and the Broncos.

Maybe this this

North Carolina Idk GIF by Carolina Panthers