• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance?

tukafan21

9 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Lance is a massive bust and getting a 3rd rounder for him now is like hitting the lottery.  No one is , nor should they be trading for him.

He is a massive bust you say? You know thos how? Did you see his stats? They are t earth shattering but do they appear busy like to you? Ever heard of anyone changing scenery and their career taking off? How did a change of scenery work out for Greg Olsen? Not saying he is the Greg Olsen of QB's in the making but I'm also not saying he is some kind of massive bust when his sample size was small but stats don't look absolutely awful either. If I had some other pieces in place at QB would I take Lance as well from r a later round draft pick? Yep I sure as well would as we have no idea what he could become. He could either remain a disappointment or find lightning in a bottle (less of a chance than remaining a disappointment I know) but for a late round draft choice I would be willing to take a chance.

• Poo 1

14 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Lance is a massive bust and getting a 3rd rounder for him now is like hitting the lottery.  No one is , nor should they be trading for him.

How do you know this 100% tell all end all exactly? Do you work within the 49ers organization? Do you see him in practice and at the stadium daily? You must have some sort of inside track to be so sure multiple times so figured I would check to see what you do job wise with the 49ers. 

If we land Steichen or Kafka, a 3rd for Lance is tempting as hell (if the Niners will really accept that). Imagine having Bozeman resigned, drafting Johnston at 9, Kincaid in the 2nd with a QB that has Lance’s ceiling. I know we fumble retreads too much, but it would need to depend on how the new HC views him. I feel like Steichen could run a similar offense he does now with Lance…

• Pie 2

On 1/20/2023 at 10:11 PM, 45catfan said:

For a 3rd?  DO IT!  Dude needs some more coaching and why people pooing Lance and riding AR-15s jock strap can't grasp the irony if it fell out of the sky and landed right on their heads.  RSOs are RAW.  If anything Lance should be the flashing sign to stay away for RSO QBs. The QB position is too damn demanding in the NFL for a 20-year old to grasp.

Lance may or may not be a bust, but what is certain is he should have stayed in school at least another year.

Lance was a big fish in a little pond and his team absolutely dominates their division year in and year out. They’ve won a bunch of championships even before him. So it wasn’t like he needed to carry the team. Richardson had to carry Florida who played against actual good competition. The same competition that Levis struggle bussed against. That’s why I’m higher on Richardson than Lance. That being said, I don’t *want* Richardson or Lance. I want Stroud from this class. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

If we land Steichen or Kafka, a 3rd for Lance is tempting as hell (if the Niners will really accept that). Imagine having Bozeman resigned, drafting Johnston at 9, Kincaid in the 2nd with a QB that has Lance’s ceiling. I know we fumble retreads too much, but it would need to depend on how the new HC views him. I feel like Steichen could run a similar offense he does now with Lance…

Lance has started all of FOUR games in the NFL...that's all.  He's appeared in just four more.  In TWO of those appearances, they were goal line packages, only ONE  play (he scored on both). So the guy has about 1/2 of a NFL season (really just a 1/3 season) in actual games and he's already a bust? 

Lance may eventually be a bust, but his body of work is way too small to say for sure at this point.

1 minute ago, Varking said:

Lance was a big fish in a little pond and his team absolutely dominates their division year in and year out. They’ve won a bunch of championships even before him. So it wasn’t like he needed to carry the team. Richardson had to carry Florida who played against actual good competition. The same competition that Levis struggle bussed against. That’s why I’m higher on Richardson than Lance. That being said, I don’t *want* Richardson or Lance. I want Stroud from this class. 

The level of play is a bit overblown.  Lance struggles have do do with his age and lack of snaps in the college game.  Again, I would not touch a RSO QB in the draft from here on out.  The NFL QB requirements are just too much for them. 

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Lance has started all of FOUR games in the NFL...that's all.  He's appeared in just four more.  In TWO of those appearances, they were goal line packages, only ONE  play (he scored on both). So the guy has about 1/2 of a NFL season (really just a 1/3 season) in actual games and he's already a bust? 

Lance may eventually be a bust, but his body of work is way too small to say for sure at this point.

Oh I don’t think he is a bust. The Niners were going to roll with him as the starter before the injury. If he was benched for bad play that would be a different story. I’m just skeptical they will part with him for a 3rd. If they are we definitely be looking into it.

Sign a cheap vet QB and we would have Lance and Corral learning/developing throughout the season. A WR at 9 and TE in the second and our offense will be pretty much set (maybe a late round RB in Tank Bigsby or Rodriguez from Kentucky).

Just now, 45catfan said:

The level of play is a bit overblown.  Lance struggles have do do with his age and lack of snaps in the college game.  Again, I would not touch a RSO QB in the draft from here on out.  The NFL QB requirements are just too much for them. 

And this was something this forum, and I especially, brought up leading up to his draft. He simply plays lesser competition and that’s not his fault. His team is typically head and shoulders better than everyone they play and they have been for years. They are like the Bama of their conference. So he plays lesser competition and he didn’t throw the ball a lot in college. And he didn’t throw the ball a lot in high school. And then he had a season cut short. Then he rode the bench and got hurt and missed even more time in the NFL. 

It’s not his fault he was picked where he was picked. Blame the 49ers for that. But he needs reps and he’s in a situation he couldn’t outright beat out Jimmy for reps and going into year 3 for him it looks like he’ll be competing with Purdy for reps now. 

His timeline is getting destroyed because the team around him doesn’t need him but going into year 3 we still have no idea if he’s getting better or not. 

And I don’t believe he’s a bust just yet. But it’s at the point we just don’t know because we haven’t seen anything from him and I wouldn’t expect to next year either. It’s like Jordan Love. Nobody knows what he is and he is going into year 4. 

6 minutes ago, Varking said:

And this was something this forum, and I especially, brought up leading up to his draft. He simply plays lesser competition and that’s not his fault. His team is typically head and shoulders better than everyone they play and they have been for years. They are like the Bama of their conference. So he plays lesser competition and he didn’t throw the ball a lot in college. And he didn’t throw the ball a lot in high school. And then he had a season cut short. Then he rode the bench and got hurt and missed even more time in the NFL. 

It’s not his fault he was picked where he was picked. Blame the 49ers for that. But he needs reps and he’s in a situation he couldn’t outright beat out Jimmy for reps and going into year 3 for him it looks like he’ll be competing with Purdy for reps now. 

His timeline is getting destroyed because the team around him doesn’t need him but going into year 3 we still have no idea if he’s getting better or not. 

And I don’t believe he’s a bust just yet. But it’s at the point we just don’t know because we haven’t seen anything from him and I wouldn’t expect to next year either. It’s like Jordan Love. Nobody knows what he is and he is going into year 4. 

I wouldn't say the BiG 12 is elite competition, but Brock Purdy is doing well.  Why?  He played and started 47 games in college ( only game he didn't play was the opener his freshman year).  His college stats weren't eye popping by any means, good completion %, but overall average.  When he got to the NFL, the game wasn't too big for him.