• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interviewing DC’s??

ATLpanther

2 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

They can't til they fulfill the rooney rule. 

It doesn't make sense to have to follow the Rooney Rule if you decide to promote from within be it Wilks or any other coach currently employed in your own building. 

That should be an exception. 

57 minutes ago, ATLpanther said:

I get the logic….but correct me if I’m wrong…. no one else does this. I listen to Moving The Chains every day on Sirius radio and they were clowning us for interviewing DCs before hiring a HC….saying that it doesn’t make any sense. Pat Kirwin is a former GM that is still well connected so if other clubs were following this process, I’m assuming he wouldn’t call it stupid. 

Playoffs are happening and they may have a idea about the who/what......I know AL davis use to interview all sort of HC and ask "whatg would you do to fix the team and who do like in the draft pool??" He would collect information, which was brillant..

1 hour ago, ATLpanther said:

I get the logic….but correct me if I’m wrong…. no one else does this. I listen to Moving The Chains every day on Sirius radio and they were clowning us for interviewing DCs before hiring a HC….saying that it doesn’t make any sense. Pat Kirwin is a former GM that is still well connected so if other clubs were following this process, I’m assuming he wouldn’t call it stupid. 

I will give you that. But maybe it’s time to change the logic to something a “normal” business would do. I dunno. 

The DC and OC are for rent. Separate from the HC at the start of a rebuild.

HC brings in his offensive and defensive guy that he loves.

The DC/OC were former HCs or DC/OC and want to prove themselves for more opportunities. They are allowed to bring 1 or 2 coaches of their choosing to develop and take with them when they leave in 1 to 3 seasons. In return, they teach and develop the HCs guys to be the future DC/OC.

Imagine hiring Rhule and allowing him to choose Brady and Snow. Rhule agrees to work with someone from a chosen list of former HCs for 2 to 3 seasons.

Ex: The year is 2000. Rhule is hired. He brings his guys Brady and Snow. Rhule is given a list of OCs and DCs to choose from. Rhule, Brady, and Snow agree on McAdoo and Wilks. McAdoo brings Gilbride. Wilks brings Holcomb. Chase Blackburn is a franchise carry over >>> Rhule HC, McAdoo OC, Wilks DC, Brady QB/PGC, Gilbride TE, Snow Asst.HC/DB, and Chase Blackburn STC. These coaches get together and fill out the rest of the assistant coaches. McAdoo and Wilks agree to 3 year deals with the knowledge that they will likely not be retained at the end of their contracts as they are mentors/tutors who are given a chance to develop their chosen assistant(s), and they are free to explore HC positions as a package deal with their chosen assistant with complete support from the team.

Would this have worked? Couldn't have turned out much worse lol. I doubt Rhule would have agreed to it, but we would have never had to deal with that headache if this were the plan. Better than letting an inexperienced coach drown and fire coaches only to have to replace them with coaches they did not choose in hopes these coaches could tutor and save the failing inexperienced coach.

Edited by CPantherKing