• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Graziano: Fangio leading DC Candidate in Carolina for Young HC

UNCrules2187

NFL%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png9495.jpg
VIC FANGIOCS, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Falcons are interviewing former Broncos head coach Vic Fangio for the team's defensive coordinator vacancy. 

Fangio served as a defensive consultant for the Eagles this season following his three-year stint as the Broncos head coach. An old-school coach, Fangio could be just what the Falcons need following a season in which their defense allowed the tenth most rushing yards per game and the tenth most points per game. Only the Raiders, Lions, and Bears allowed a higher drop back EPA than Atlanta in 2022. Fangio should be considered the odds-on favorite to land the Falcons DC gig. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

True.  But my stance is the young OCs are passing on us because of our front office. 

And he also passed on the Texans and Colts.  2 other giant red flag front offices.  

By your definition, which opening this year doesn't have a red flag front office? Maybe Denver and they're either going to hire Payton or Quinn - they tried young OC and didn't like the results. Leftwich passed on the Jags job because of what he felt like was a red flag front office and now he is (or about to be) fired. 

Edited by UNCrules2187

4 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

By your definition, which opening this year doesn't have a red flag front office? Maybe Denver and they're either going to hire Payton or Quinn - they tried young OC and didn't like the results. Leftwich passed on the Jags job because of what he felt like was a red flag front office and now he is (or about to be) fired. 

Generally speaking, organizations with head coach openings have red flags...that's why there is an opening to begin with.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I mean, I’m known to have a hot take or two…..but calling out the Texans and Colts front offices as bad is far from my wildest. 

I do think Denver is the best gig.   

I mean if you had a kid that was going to be a HC….that’s the job you steer them to IMO.   

Leftwich opted to attempt another run at a ring with the GOAT.  Which seems a little different than these current coordinators to me. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, I’m known to have a hot take or two…..but calling out the Texans and Colts front offices as bad is far from my wildest. 

I mean if you had a kid that was going to be a HC….that’s the job you steer them to IMO.   

Not sure I agree - they fired a coach less than a full year in and your coaching future is tied to a QB that materially regressed. New ownership is going to want results on their shiny new investment. You probably get, what, 2 years, MAYBE 3 years to show progress? What if Russ is just cooked? 

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I mean, he is an agreeable guy that can get along with people.  That’s the article.  I don’t disagree with that from what we have seen. 

But so was Hurndawg.  Marty was easy to work with if you were a HC. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Leftwich opted to attempt another run at a ring with the GOAT.  Which seems a little different than these current coordinators to me. 

Denver has a gigantic bright red $240 million red flag.  And shares a division with Mahomes.  That's arguably the worst gig for a first-time young HC considering he's going to have to also deal with a reportedly divisive locker room because of said $240 million red flag.

Edited by MasterAwesome
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Denver has a gigantic bright red $240 million red flag.  And shares a division with Mahomes.  That's arguably the worst gig for a first-time young HC considering he's going to have to also deal with a reportedly divisive locker room because of said $240 million red flag.

Mahomes and competition have nothing to do with a franchise being well run or not.  That’s something else.   Same with whether or not Wilson is busted or not.    Think a reasonable person would want a look at him in a better offense before that is confirmed or not. 

Wilson has always been an odd duck.  Nothing new there. 

47 minutes ago, CRA said:

Mahomes and competition have nothing to do with a franchise being well run or not.  That’s something else.   Same with whether or not Wilson is busted or not.    Think a reasonable person would want a look at him in a better offense before that is confirmed or not. 

Wilson has always been an odd duck.  Nothing new there. 

I mean it absolutely has to do with the overall appeal of the head coaching job, which is what you’re talking about at the end of the day. The NFC South is there for the taking, while the Broncos have to contend with arguably the best team in the league within their own division (not to mention a much more stacked conference overall).

Also, if I were a young rookie HC I’d be more wary of the owner who has precedent of firing a rookie HC part-way through his first season as opposed to the owner who gave his rookie HC roughly a very generous 2-and-a-half years to try and fulfill his vision before ultimately firing him.

A reasonable person would obviously want a look at him in a better offense, but the same reasonable person would also obviously be factoring that risk into his decision to take the job. If Wilson doesn’t pan out, their QB situation is extremely dire with pretty poor draft position over the next few years to have the opportunity to draft one. While a team like the Panthers is sitting pretty with a top 10 pick and loaded up with a bevy of additional draft picks to be positioned to move up and take one.