• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Graziano: Fangio leading DC Candidate in Carolina for Young HC

UNCrules2187

Plus some other tidbits from today's piece (paywall):

Fowler: In Carolina, Wilks will likely be a finalist, but there's a feeling among some in the league that owner David Tepper will go offense. Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson returning to Detroit was an interesting move because the Panthers were excited to speak to him. He appeared to have some traction there. But there's plenty of time for a candidate to sway Panthers brass, too. Wilks has a strong offensive plan in place should he get the job.

Graziano: As for Wilks, I'm hearing the same stuff you are -- that the Panthers are leaning toward one of the younger offensive guys.

Graziano: Carolina is interviewing defensive-coordinator candidates concurrently with its interviews for head coach, with former Broncos coach Vic Fangio a leading candidate to run the defense if the Panthers were to hire an inexperienced offensive-minded head coach

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35466669/nfl-head-coach-openings-latest-buzz-coaching-candidates-broncos-cardinals-colts-panthers-texans

• Pie 2
  • The D 1

8 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

It say much about Payton?  Because Fangio was tied to be the DC Payton was wanting to bring with him wherever he goes.

23 minutes ago, ncfan said:

It say much about Payton?  Because Fangio was tied to be the DC Payton was wanting to bring with him wherever he goes.

Not really - question was how would you rank the fits and would Chargers be better for him than other jobs? Both answered saying of course he'd want the Chargers job over any other due to QB and location, then gave their personal opinion on best fits of the open gigs. Graziano thinks Denver is most likely because they can offer more money than anyone else, Fowler said he'd go with Texans because of picks, cap space,  and Houston being desperate enough to give him the control he wants.

53 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Holy poo I thought I stubbled on a bug and was like "holy poo they left this paid content unlocked" then realized I had espn+ thru verizon and completely forgot and didn't know it included articles.... would much rather have a free athletic sub

it doesn't matter who the HC is....Fangio should be the DC. If he wants the gig, you give it to him and tell the HC "this is your DC". You don't give them a choice. if they want someone else, they aren't interested in winning as much as they are helping out their buddies and then you don't want them anyways.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

I think a lot comes into focus on Monday. One of Kafka/Steichen will be available, Payton will have been interviewed and Evero gets his opportunity today. 

It just feels like Wilks, Reich & Caldwell will be a lot of the same we've known for the past two decades. 

Payton is the marquee best option if we want success.

Steichen, Kafka, Evero for the young up-and-coming guy that we can draft a QB with and grow long-term....I just wonder the PTSD after Rhule's stint here. 

I wish there was a way to have enough ammo to bring in Payton annnnnnd trade for Lamar. If we re-sign Boze and Foreman, with Fangio running the D and Lamar at QB under Payton's watchful eye we would be NFC favorites for the next 5-7 years.

1 minute ago, Soul Rebel said:

I think a lot comes into focus on Monday. One of Kafka/Steichen will be available, Payton will have been interviewed and Evero gets his opportunity today. 

It just feels like Wilks, Reich & Caldwell will be a lot of the same we've known for the past two decades. 

Payton is the marquee best option if we want success.

Steichen, Kafka, Evero for the young up-and-coming guy that we can draft a QB with and grow long-term....I just wonder the PTSD after Rhule's stint here. 

I wish there was a way to have enough ammo to bring in Payton annnnnnd trade for Lamar. If we re-sign Boze and Foreman, with Fangio running the D and Lamar at QB under Payton's watchful eye we would be NFC favorites for the next 5-7 years.

agreed with most of that except i think reich is a few tiers ahead of wilks. caldwell is a bit ahead of him as well. both of those guys are offensive and have had a good bit of success. reich having more recent success matters more to me. 

i think payton is a prick, but we'd win with him and i'm desperately tired of not winning....so he'd be our prick.

• Beer 3

Just now, therealmjl said:

True....but I wouldn't be as excited about Wilks/Fangio. We need him paired with a legit offensive guy.

agreed, but if we had wilks as HC, that QB coach from Philly as OC, and Fangio and then we drafted a QB i think we'd do better than we have done. the thing is i don't think that wilks would agree to having his DC picked out for him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1