• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Latest info on staff building

Mr. Scot

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Also found this comment from former teammate Steve Smith on McCown from Pro Football Network

Steve Smith spoke glowingly about McCown’s potential as a head coach

“Josh sees the game the way quarterbacks see it, a certain way, and they have so many responsibilities,” said Smith, a retired Pro Bowl wide receiver who was teammates with McCown with the Carolina Panthers and have remained close friends.

“I like Josh. He’s been on so many teams that he knows half of the offenses in the league because he’s been around a lot of teams as the backup. He’s assisted in developing the quarterbacks to see it a certain way. I think he’s helped coaches with game plans. It’s an advantage for a coach to have been a backup quarterback. Let’s be honest. When I see a backup quarterback get in the game, at some point, he will reveal why he’s a backup.

“The true essence of a backup’s value is because they study so much that they have to be a second pair of eyes for the quarterback, the coach, and the offensive coordinator. That’s a unique responsibility. Not everybody is built for it, but backup quarterbacks have a unique advantage in studying the game and knowing so much. Frank Reich, Doug Pederson, Jason Garrett, they were all backup quarterbacks. They’ve seen the inside of the game. It doesn’t surprise me at all that Josh is being considered for a head coaching job.”

“I know Josh in a way that’s a little bit different. Josh is my guy. We talk a lot. We have familiar stories with our families. We’ve had ski trips together, barbecues. Me and him are good friends, but I’m a realist and I’m not going to lie for him. I know how good he is and how much he knows about this game. I told him, (laughing) if he needs a receivers coach, don’t call me.”

Man, I will be really disappointed if this rumor turns out to be bullsh-t 😄

Good finds

Edited by Wolfcop

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Update that's not a shock...

Doesn't specifically state he won't be returning in any other capacity but the way this is worded, I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm going to take this as a good sign that the Panthers are fairly confident they'll be able to hire their preferred OC.

Expect hirings for the offense to kick into high gear next week.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I'm going to take this as a good sign that the Panthers are fairly confident they'll be able to hire their preferred OC.

Expect hirings for the offense to kick into high gear next week.

Eagles guys Will be available at that time (and Chiefs guys, if we're interested in any of them).

Might still have to wait if there's anybody they want from the Colts staff, though.

2 hours ago, The Crown and Claw said:

Insider source: Josh McCown will be named the new QB Coach for Reich's staff.

Hmm, very interesting.

Image of This is a very interesting situation!

Josh McCown played quarterback for 12 teams across nearly two decades in the NFL, and learned a different offense almost every season.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/josh-mccown-texans-coach-17626293.php

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've felt that way with some of his recent articles.

Feels like something's going on with Aaron Wilson too. He keeps changing jobs.

I feel like his sources dried up or something, Person has been posting things I feel like we all could post during this entire search.

Mccown as a QB coach would be an incredible hire. 

I've been a fan of his since he was in Arizona. I really hoped that he could have stuck here and taken over as the starter at some point. That week 1 game in '09 against the Eagles was a heart breaker. First Jake gets taken out of the game because he was doing horrible (wasn't a good sign after that big loss to the Cardinals in the '08 playoffs) and the mccown steps in and I felt like he was going to do ok, except the eagles owned him too before he messed up his leg and went on IR. 

I always felt like he could be good. Probably will end up being a great HC at some point.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1