• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carr exploring options

Mr. Scot

29 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Carr's motivation is certainly a huge factor.  And it is hard to predict, since he has made a decent truckload of money thus far but has played is career on a clusterf*#k of a team/organization, and feels dumped on by that same organization.

The latter may making him more sensitive to us drafting a QB high, who knows?  I do think there will be a minor bidding war for him since there are a ton of QB starved teams.  But, looking at the staff we are assembling and where we are in the building process, we do certainly pass the sniff test for somebody in his position.

Yup.  Owner is iffy...for sure.  But the rest of the team looks to be more solid than anything he's ever experienced in his career to date.

I'd not be interested in NO were I him...leaving a party town only to replace it...coach seems to be a patch as well...and the cap.

We do have a solid coaching tree, good O line, a number 1 WR, and we are in the NFC.  If I'm a FA QB, I'm getting my ass into the NFC for sure.

Who knows though, I do like what we are doing, and if this staff sells the farm for Stroud, so be it....it's time to get serious around here.

5 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Yup.  Owner is iffy...for sure.  But the rest of the team looks to be more solid than anything he's ever experienced in his career to date.

I'd not be interested in NO were I him...leaving a party town only to replace it...coach seems to be a patch as well...and the cap.

We do have a solid coaching tree, good O line, a number 1 WR, and we are in the NFC.  If I'm a FA QB, I'm getting my ass into the NFC for sure.

Who knows though, I do like what we are doing, and if this staff sells the farm for Stroud, so be it....it's time to get serious around here.

We appear to be in violent agreement on this whole situation. 

I'd not be interested in NO, either.  Everything there looks tentative, and subject to adjustment due to cap manipulation in the past coming to a head.  Tampa really does not look any better, and with another big bill due to pushing all the chips into the center of the table for an Owl.  In the NFCS, that leaves us and Atlanta, who may have already hit bottom and can start to emerge from past sins.  The other two are still in the confession booth.

I think we need a legitimate #1 WR (DJ in that role is still in front of the jury, probably due to offensive schemes and QB limitations).  If not, we do need someone who can complement DJ.

If they opt to go all in for Stroud, I am going to hope for the best and I don't mean that in a gloomy way.  I like Stroud, and based on what we see on our coaching staff thus far he would be far better off than his predecessor at OSU was when he wound up going to Da Bears. 

Any development Fields has done in Chicago has been an accident on the team's part.  It's just as likely he has been looking at YouTube videos to improve as he has gotten any good coaching. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Valid, but I'm not sure how much that's going to carry over.

For what it's worth, I don't really expect Carr to end up with us, but it's possible.

It would not shock me if he were signed here. It would severely disappoint me as it reeks of the same crap the went on under Rhule. I would loose a lot of faith that things are really going to change on this team no matter who the coach is.

19 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It would not shock me if he were signed here. It would severely disappoint me as it reeks of the same crap the went on under Rhule. I would loose a lot of faith that things are really going to change on this team no matter who the coach is.

I wouldn't.

The idea of using a bridge QB to give a rookie time to learn isn't a bad one. It was just done poorly by Rhule.

(like...well, everything)

• Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't.

The idea of using a bridge QB to give a rookie time to learn isn't a bad one. It was just done poorly by Rhule.

(like...well, everything)

It ensures that we are drafting in the top 15 every draft. A bridge qb only works if your draft pick works out. If they don't ever take over then where are you?

My preference would be to throw a rookie in the fire and see where you end up. If he fails you are in a great spot in the draft when the dust settles. If he shows promising results you continue on until he doesn't.  Rinse and repeat. 

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It ensures that we are drafting in the top 15 every draft. A bridge qb only works if your draft pick works out. If they don't ever take over then where are you?

My preference would be to throw a rookie in the fire and see where you end up. If he fails you are in a great spot in the draft when the dust settles. If he shows promising results you continue on until he doesn't.  Rinse and repeat. 

That works if you get a rookie you want.

It's possible we won't.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2574010

The New Orleans Saints, Tennessee Titans, New York Jets, and Carolina Panthers will be among the teams interested in signing Derek Carr once he's released Tuesday, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

That is an interesting group. Of them, we probably have the best coaching situation for a QB. I wonder if this will come down to money or the best situation to win. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The New Orleans Saints, Tennessee Titans, New York Jets, and Carolina Panthers will be among the teams interested in signing Derek Carr once he's released Tuesday, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

That is an interesting group. Of them, we probably have the best coaching situation for a QB. I wonder if this will come down to money or the best situation to win. 

M. O. N. E. Y.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I see price as the only barrier.If we can afford him you take him in a heartbeat.

• Beer 2