• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold

Shocker

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah there is no Aqeel Glass this year…

There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL (10 up for grabs) and 16 starting QBs in the XFL/USFL. 26 spots to show you deserve to be/have a shot at being an NFL franchise QB.

There is only ONE head coach in the developmental leagues who has been an NFL OC, won a SB, developed NFL QBs (Eli Manning, Mark Sanchez, Derek Carr, Carson Wentz, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Gardner Minshew, and Justin Fields). That coach is John Defilippo (Frank Reich's #2 with the Eagles SB team). He took 2022 off and chose to work with Donovan McNabb on developing Aqeel Glass (who he saw up close in workouts next to Justin Fields). Now, he has taken this USFL coaching position with an emphasis on bringing Aqeel Glass with him to develop. We will soon see this sought after QB coach developing this QB you choose to dismiss.

When QB coaches like Clyde Christensen and John Defilippo want to develop a QB coming out of college, you should pay attention. We will see if Glass fails after a year of development under the NFLs best (SB champion coaches).

Yes, I would take Glass over Levis, RIchardson, Young, Stroud, Mayfield, Darnold, Corral, and Walker. I value him at the same level as I value Desmond Ridder and Brock Purdy. Seems like SB champion coaches do too. Enough to take time off from the NFL, develop him in the offseason, take a HC job to bring him along for development, and I would believe he will be taking another NFL position after the USFL season. I expect he will want to bring the QB he has been developing with him.

While most of you will be focused on the combine with Stroud, Young, Levis, and Richardson getting pitched by their agents in this weak QB draft, I will be watching a SB champion QB coach developing an actual QB he believes has championship potential.

4 hours ago, heel31ok said:

Just Glass Joe and his 4 sisters.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/a-conversation-with-usfl-vp-of-operations-daryl-johnston

"A star QB to watch?

Johnston claims — and I agree — that Breakers quarterback Aqeel Glass could be a star in this league. Glass, a 6-foot-5, 225-pound signal-caller, led Alabama A&M to its first-ever HBCU football national title in the spring of 2021 and its first SWAC title since 2006. 

"That was one of the guys that we were chasing all last season," Johnston said. "It was just a game of wait and see. And (USFL director of player personnel) Jim Popp never gave up on it and kept chasing him. And now that he's come over to our side, and he's going to be in New Orleans, I really think this could be something that gives him an opportunity like 50-plus of our guys had last year to get that invitation to that NFL training camp once our season’s over."

[Daryl Johnston] I believe he knows football... maybe you don't

8 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/a-conversation-with-usfl-vp-of-operations-daryl-johnston

"A star QB to watch?

Johnston claims — and I agree — that Breakers quarterback Aqeel Glass could be a star in this league. Glass, a 6-foot-5, 225-pound signal-caller, led Alabama A&M to its first-ever HBCU football national title in the spring of 2021 and its first SWAC title since 2006. 

"That was one of the guys that we were chasing all last season," Johnston said. "It was just a game of wait and see. And (USFL director of player personnel) Jim Popp never gave up on it and kept chasing him. And now that he's come over to our side, and he's going to be in New Orleans, I really think this could be something that gives him an opportunity like 50-plus of our guys had last year to get that invitation to that NFL training camp once our season’s over."

[Daryl Johnston] I believe he knows football... maybe you don't

Zero to do with my comment.

I think Sam can play and some people are holding on to a narrative from two years ago.  Go ahead and leave me a pile of poo. I know it’s coming.  

But as far as here, it depends on Reich and whoever is brought in to oversee the offense. What was an advantage for him last year, a year in the system, is not there now. And they are likely to have a plan to move forward with someone they are more familiar with. 

• Pie 2

38 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

I think Sam can play and some people are holding on to a narrative from two years ago.  Go ahead and leave me a pile of poo. I know it’s coming.  

But as far as here, it depends on Reich and whoever is brought in to oversee the offense. What was an advantage for him last year, a year in the system, is not there now. And they are likely to have a plan to move forward with someone they are more familiar with. 

Its funny  saying Reich can coach up these young guys but he can't coach up Darnold.

Edited by heel31ok
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Unless you think there's a chance he could take us deep into the playoffs in the short term there is no point in a bridge QB for us rn. If it's just about giving a rookie time on the bench to get ready then throw Corral out there in the interim. If we need a mentor and backup to keep the seat warmer there's cheaper options than Darnold.

4 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Unless you think there's a chance he could take us deep into the playoffs in the short term there is no point in a bridge QB for us rn. If it's just about giving a rookie time on the bench to get ready then throw Corral out there in the interim. If we need a mentor and backup to keep the seat warmer there's cheaper options than Darnold.

What vet qb will be better than Darnold and cheaper who wants to come here?  Just asking for a friend......

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, ECHornet said:

You’re wrong about all of his stats being bad. He finished around middle of the pack in many QB stats this year if you extrapolate to 17 games. 

Extrapolate to 17 games. 

Sam would be about 32nd in completion %.

Sam would lead the NFL in fumbles by a QB by a FAR margin.  He was top 5 barely playing.   That's Sam.  That's been Sam his entire life dating back to college. 

Sam would be about 26th-ish in yards.   

but yeah, I guess for the first time he would have a good TD/INT ratio. 

That's not a middle of the pack QB though.  

Sam Darnold is not a good QB.  Even cherry picking and doing a Madden like hypothetical season. 

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, stratocatter said:

the narrative on Sam is the one HE created in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and still in 2022. 

and 2022 Sam, the new and improved Sam.....still had all his old habits on full display.  Horrible completion %, an incredible knack for the ball being put on the ground, etc.   

It's basically why you tell kids to learn history.   So you don't have things continue to repeat. We saw this in early 2021.  Folks were claiming early Sam was a changed man despite it being evident early on all his bad habits were still there.  He was the same guy.  It just hadn't burned us yet.  But it eventually did.  Spectacularly so.  

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL (10 up for grabs) and 16 starting QBs in the XFL/USFL. 26 spots to show you deserve to be/have a shot at being an NFL franchise QB.

There is only ONE head coach in the developmental leagues who has been an NFL OC, won a SB, developed NFL QBs (Eli Manning, Mark Sanchez, Derek Carr, Carson Wentz, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Gardner Minshew, and Justin Fields). That coach is John Defilippo (Frank Reich's #2 with the Eagles SB team). He took 2022 off and chose to work with Donovan McNabb on developing Aqeel Glass (who he saw up close in workouts next to Justin Fields). Now, he has taken this USFL coaching position with an emphasis on bringing Aqeel Glass with him to develop. We will soon see this sought after QB coach developing this QB you choose to dismiss.

When QB coaches like Clyde Christensen and John Defilippo want to develop a QB coming out of college, you should pay attention. We will see if Glass fails after a year of development under the NFLs best (SB champion coaches).

Yes, I would take Glass over Levis, RIchardson, Young, Stroud, Mayfield, Darnold, Corral, and Walker. I value him at the same level as I value Desmond Ridder and Brock Purdy. Seems like SB champion coaches do too. Enough to take time off from the NFL, develop him in the offseason, take a HC job to bring him along for development, and I would believe he will be taking another NFL position after the USFL season. I expect he will want to bring the QB he has been developing with him.

While most of you will be focused on the combine with Stroud, Young, Levis, and Richardson getting pitched by their agents in this weak QB draft, I will be watching a SB champion QB coach developing an actual QB he believes has championship potential.

Jesus h christ

9 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Season 17 What GIF by America's Got Talent

16 hours ago, panthers55 said:

You are wrong on several counts. Darnold does what his OC calls.  He does have some options based on defensive looks but it is limited.

Second why would you pass when you are running the ball down their throats? Was that because Sam couldn't pass or Wilkes wanted to run the ball feeling the o line does a better job run blocking versus pass blocking. Look at the games we couldn't run like Pittsburgh.   He was 14 for 23 for 225 and 9.8 yards per attempt and a passer rating of 108.  How about the buccaneers where we ran for around 100 yards. Yeah he was 23 for 37 for 341 yards and 9.2 yards per attempt. 

Yes his completion rate was 58.6% but the biggest stat is that he threw for over 8 yards a reception. 40% of his passes were for 1st downs and he threw 17 passes over 20 yards which would translate to almost 50 in a whole season.  He played much better than he has at any time in his career with a qb rating almost 20 points higher than his career average. 

He may have been bad for the Jets and in 2021 but he was significantly better in 2022 with a real OC who obviously was let go so we can expect better in the future under Reich. No Reich may prefer someone else but Darnold played his best ball by far in 2022 with competent players and coaches for the first time. Again I am not clamoring for him but fair is fair and your evaluation reflects your own bias not reality.

Don't bring out STATISTICS IN HERE. ARE YOU INSANE?

Darnold was quietly one of the best QB's in the NFL the final 6 games of the season. I hope he comes back and gets a fair shake with the best coaching he would have had to date. 

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Darnold was quietly one of the best QB's in the NFL the final 6 games of the season. 

I see....you just flat out trolling.  This is Matt Rhule level trolling after his 2021 season. 

During the last 6 games of the season.....Sam was bottom of the league in yards per game.  Bottom of the league in completion %.  He put the ball on the ground more than any QB in the league during that span by far. 

but yeah, he had a nice TD/INT ratio.....where he wasn't even throwing a TD per game.   That's what you are claiming makes him one of the best QBs in the game in that stretch?

Literally all Sam did was not throw absurd INTS.  That's it.  Talk about a joke bar.  One of the best in the league?!  There is no statistical argument to even come close to that.   

This Sam Darnold gaslighting is something else.  

• Pie 5