• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about Matt Corral

jfra78

1 hour ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Unfortunately a lot of people go after him and say he sucks. 

You aren’t one of them. You actually have a conversation. 

But, as evident by the “Icky is a bust” week 1 thread…plenty of people give up immediately on players, make up their mind, and stay there.

It's fine to believe your evaluation but to just keep piling up ridiculous "proof" to support the reactionary position is what gets annoying quickly. 

If people think X prospect sucks/is great, fine. But at least leave the possibility that you might be wrong. That's where people lose me on players that are three years or less in the league.

Look at Brown. Myself and others had started to lose all faith that he was going to pan out but he had a stellar year and might be on his way to being an anchor for our DL for a long time.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I wonder if we do get McCown as our QB Coach if we might kick the can one more year to see what we have with Corral. 

If the plan is to have a bridge QB like Brissett come in this year anyway while a Stroud/AR learn the ropes, I wonder if Corral is that underdog QB that can be molded by guys like Reich and McCown.

Would allow us to maybe get a shiny new WR1 or perhaps a Wilson/Murphy for Evero's D.

• Beer 1

I wonder what Brock Purdy (Mr. Irrelevant) would have looked like if he were here in Carolina this season?  Not saying Corral is another Brock Purdy in the making, but QBs don't exist in a vacuum.  Coaching, scheme and teammates play a crucial role in the success or failure of a QB.  I've got to believe that a Reich led team dramatically improves any QBs chances of success compared to their chances under Rhule or even Rivera.   

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

You may be right, but I am not sure we can pay much attention to what happened under Rhule.  Virtually every qb that played for Rhule looked better on other teams or for other coaches.   Sam Darnold looked better under Wilkes than he ever did under Rhule.  Baker Mayfield looked like a completely different in LA than he did under Rhule.  Under Rhule, he looked scared, timid, and out of place.  In Los Angeles, he looked halfway decent. 

Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

36 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I wonder what Brock Purdy (Mr. Irrelevant) would have looked like if he were here in Carolina this season?  Not saying Corral is another Brock Purdy in the making, but QBs don't exist in a vacuum.  Coaching, scheme and teammates play a crucial role in the success or failure of a QB.  I've got to believe that a Reich led team dramatically improves any QBs chances of success compared to their chances under Rhule or even Rivera.   

Purdy probably would have been a fuging disaster here. He had none of the on field talent nor the coaching talent around him.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, ColumbusCounty said:

To be honest: 

I vividly remember Cam looking horrible in preseason but when week 1 came he was always ready. 

And to be fair, Corral did play with the damn 4th-5th string also. From protection to receivers. And while he did look quite bad lol (and very small) his receivers did him zero favors/drops. 

This doesn't mean he should be penciled in as a week 1 starter but I do have a hard time believing thats the best he could produce. The guy was a stand out QB playing in the SEC...the game he had vs Bama should show you his upside and he actually finished that game with a better stat line than Bryce Young. 

All things considered, passing against an Ole Miss defense vs a Bama defense is different league. Levels do exist. All that said, if he could get proper training, the playbook down, and bulk up a bit to avoid injuries I wouldn't exactly count him out 100%. This is not Will Grier imo. 

He might not be a game changing QB but he does actually fit the mold of what Reich said he was looking for in a QB. 

kind GIF

Teh huddle can't read, you'll have to speak louder.

I can read and totally agree. 

If he comes out and busts I'll be the first to come in and say so, but he hasn't even seen the field or gotten an opportunity yet.

44 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Thx.  I'm just trying to take the line of staying optimistic but not bank on him working out.  I think that's a fair approach as a fan. 

I'm just a bit lukewarm on him as a prospect.  Has nothing to do with the bs off the field stuff mentioned either, and I think a lot of teams saw ON field stuff that made him past most teams 3 times over. 

There's REALLY nice things to like if you look at him from the waist up--arm strength, release, general on-field command and leadership.  But I'm a sucker for footwork, it's so critical at a pro-level and he just has this flippant, finicky nature to his pocket presence that I can't unsee.  Reminds me a tad of Jimmy G under duress.  You want these guys to feel grounded and secure in the pocket, standing tall and strong.  On the run, he's great though.  Can really get into good rhythm's at times, can roll left and throw a nice deep ball.  

But back to feet--there's just an inconsistency with how he plants his feet to combine with the jumpiness.  Just undisciplined and you can tell the system he got used to in college.  It makes his lower legs super susceptible to injury and will hurt his touch.   And funny enough, he did deal w/ankle injuries.  Now, more of a freak-incident being stepped on here (lisfranc injury), so that I don't put against him.  I'm hopeful he comes back full strength.

That offense conditioned him to make quick throws and when he had to read the field, he's not reading the defense/secondary how you want.  Just very back-yardy/sling-it style ball.  I blame Kiffin's offense though, a lot of that is correctable.    His style play in that offense still allowed for some awesome moments at times, he's got skills. 

If he can make strides in lower body mechanics, pocket awareness and reading defenses, that will be key.

I’m cool with disagreement and other opinions for sure. Your opinion is based on something that you can elaborate on. There is detail and thought to it. 

I really only take issue with those using preseason as the foundation of their opinion. 

Regarding the offense Corral ran, I see that more as a question mark than a knock on him. Similar to Young and Stroud playing at Bama and OSU. It’s not a knock they went to those schools, but it adds mystery to their individual ability. 

Either Kiffin ran that offense because it’s what Corral could do, or he ran it because it works. So Corral may be perfectly fine going through reads, but just did what he was asked, or he isn’t good at it, and the offense was simplified for him. 

Time will tell. 

Regarding injury, I’m torn on that too. He didn’t have much of an injury history at all until the end of his college career. He was plenty durable. Then he hurt his ankle, and played though the pain in the last part of the season, and then got hurt in the bowl game while playing through pain. Lisfranc happened of course too. 

So that (imo) is close to being a question mark too, as opposed to a knock. He may have just been unlucky. And what’s funny is that, had he not played through the injury, but rested and came back healthier, his college season may have ended differently, and his draft position may have changed too. 

Hard to tell. 

But there is enough natural ability, arm strength, and athleticism there that he absolutely was worth the draft pick. Particularly for a team needing a QB. 

We shall see how it goes. 

Hoping we keep 3 QB’s: a vet, Corral, and a rookie. With Reich and co, I’m hopeful they will figure it out. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

40 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Yeah I wonder what Howell, Ridder, Corral, etc would look like with Shanahan, those weapons, and that defense surrounding them. 

Not sure that thought experiment matters to the “Corral showed nothing in preseason” folks though. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, jfra78 said:

I'm not much of a college football fan, so I want to ask some of the more informed posters here this question.  If Matt Corral came out this year, where would he rank among the QBs in the draft?

It's a bit hard since Corral would have another year of tape and development. He's likely still a day 2 pick as a prospect. I looked back at the past 2 classes and he'd probably be in the same tier as Richardson ... has some elite traits but needs development.

image.png.b761c3287418372c208d900ca041071d.png

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Hoping we keep 3 QB’s: a vet, Corral, and a rookie. With Reich and co, I’m hopeful they will figure it out. 

This is really the ideal scenario. Especially if we can get a good top 10 rookie QB. The veteran removes a LITTLE bit of pressure on the rookie and Corral has zero pressure at all.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

You may be right, but I am not sure we can pay much attention to what happened under Rhule.  Virtually every qb that played for Rhule looked better on other teams or for other coaches.   Sam Darnold looked better under Wilkes than he ever did under Rhule.  Baker Mayfield looked like a completely different in LA than he did under Rhule.  Under Rhule, he looked scared, timid, and out of place.  In Los Angeles, he looked halfway decent. 

It wasn't just every QB. So many guys played worse under him. This is the first time I can recall going into an offseason and having almost no handle on the talent level of our team. Do we just not have the players? Was it the scheme? Was it just OOU BS permeating the building? Those must have been the most delicious meatballs ever. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It wasn't just every QB. So many guys played worse under him. This is the first time I can recall going into an offseason and having almost no handle on the talent level of our team. Do we just not have the players? Was it the scheme? Was it just OOU BS permeating the building? Those must have been the most delicious meatballs ever. 

The hindsight on the Rhule situation is fuging nauseating. The red flags look even worse in hindsight. "He was a short order cook, I was a short order cook. He was a Pittsburgh guy, I was a Pittsburgh guy." Meatballs, all the fuging used car salesman BS.

This was the equivalent of meeting a guy at a random bar that you had great drunk talk with and then offering him a job when you were in a brown out.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Thx.  I'm just trying to take the line of staying optimistic but not bank on him working out.  I think that's a fair approach as a fan. 

I'm just a bit lukewarm on him as a prospect.  Has nothing to do with the bs off the field stuff mentioned either, and I think a lot of teams saw ON field stuff that made him past most teams 3 times over. 

There's REALLY nice things to like if you look at him from the waist up--arm strength, release, general on-field command and leadership.  But I'm a sucker for footwork, it's so critical at a pro-level and he just has this flippant, finicky nature to his pocket presence that I can't unsee.  Reminds me a tad of Jimmy G under duress.  You want these guys to feel grounded and secure in the pocket, standing tall and strong.  On the run, he's great though.  Can really get into good rhythm's at times, can roll left and throw a nice deep ball.  

But back to feet--there's just an inconsistency with how he plants his feet to combine with the jumpiness.  Just undisciplined and you can tell the system he got used to in college.  It makes his lower legs super susceptible to injury and will hurt his touch.   And funny enough, he did deal w/ankle injuries.  Now, more of a freak-incident being stepped on here (lisfranc injury), so that I don't put against him.  I'm hopeful he comes back full strength.

That offense conditioned him to make quick throws and when he had to read the field, he's not reading the defense/secondary how you want.  Just very back-yardy/sling-it style ball.  I blame Kiffin's offense though, a lot of that is correctable.    His style play in that offense still allowed for some awesome moments at times, he's got skills. 

If he can make strides in lower body mechanics, pocket awareness and reading defenses, that will be key.

Where did you come from?! Great post.