• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go for Carr hard and save #9 pick?

Jmac

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We know. He had warts too. Didn't win in college. Turnover prone. Played in a gimmicky system that exaggerated stats.

Don't try to pretend in hindsight like he was anything close to a perfect QB prospect.

I didn't. You're the one trying to pretend that you can't get a decent QB "borderline top 10." 

Hell, Hurts was a day two pick not that long ago. 

I'm just not one that falls into that line of thinking. It is better to pick higher because you have the pick of the litter, but it's more important to scout and draft properly. And, considering the hit rate, sometimes you just have to be lucky. 

On an off note KC obviously thought more of Mahomes than others because they actually moved up to 10 to get him.

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I'm glad he said this

"Most recently, Zach Wilson's tape from BYU shared traits with that of Mahomes..."

Because the whole time I was reading that's article I was thinking "Okay, now do Zach Wilson." LOL!

Sooooo much of the QB position is between the ears. It's why it's such a tough evaluation. All the physical talent in the world just doesn't matter if you don't have the right mental makeup.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Football Smile GIF by State Farm

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We know. He had warts too. Didn't win in college. Turnover prone. Played in a gimmicky system that exaggerated stats.

Don't try to pretend in hindsight like he was anything close to a perfect QB prospect.

Yeah, I was curious about Patrick's draft critics the other day and in my search came across this article...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/patrick-mahomes-chiefs-2017-nfl-draft/i880cg6p8xumjacoqmb8i0v5

Some questioned whether Mahomes' production a product of Texas Tech's Air Raid offense. They also wondered how he would perform in a pro-style offense at the next level and whether his shot-taking, gunslinger mentality would cause him to be turnover-prone at the next level.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Yeah, I was curious about Patrick's draft critics the other day and in my search came across this article...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/patrick-mahomes-chiefs-2017-nfl-draft/i880cg6p8xumjacoqmb8i0v5

He's honestly an anomaly. I mean, a lot of the things that make him who he is are things you'd never coach a QB to do. Hell, a lot of them are things you'd specifically coach a QB NOT to do. He's Favre without the INTs. You're not supposed to be able to have the best of both worlds.

• Pie 1

Also, many fans seem to forget, these prospective QBs aren't fully formed ready to go out of the box.  They aren't plug and play, nor do they exist in a vacuum.  These guys need to be supported, coached, surrounded with talent and placed in the proper schemes that make the most of their abilities.  Even Mahomes might have failed to find success under someone like Matt Rhule.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I mean, I can see some similarities, and Trubisky is the better runner, but Carr has been the better QB.

Now I will say this: I think Trubisky's career got off to the shakiest of starts due to instability and awful coaching. I see Carr as more of finished product (as in you know what you're getting) and Trubisky as still a project.

If your point is that Carr is a lit closer to Trubisky than LJ, mission accomplished.

At the end of the day, I wouldnt inquire about either one of them (Carr or Trubisky).

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I can see some similarities, and Trubisky is the better runner, but Carr has been the better QB.

Now I will say this: I think Trubisky's career got off to the shakiest of starts due to instability and awful coaching. I see Carr as more of finished product (as in you know what you're getting) and Trubisky as still a project.

If your point is that Carr is a lit closer to Trubisky than LJ, mission accomplished.

At the end of the day, I wouldnt inquire about either one of them (Carr or Trubisky).

I was more interested in others takes after looking at those stats, but if asked my preference…

I’d rather have Trubisky for $8mil while we search for a young QB to build around than Carr for $30mil.

59 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I don't want Carr.

Then what do you want? Darnold/Corral? There's just extremely low odds Tepper hired Reich and paid for this staff just to run it back with the likes of what we've already had. One way or another from my POV it looks like a big swing is on the horizon. Some of us might not like it but it's going to happen. We'll see.

On 2/15/2023 at 4:02 PM, Hugor Hill said:

sign Carr, draft for needs/bpa. Let Corral get his shot in training camp for the QB battle. Draft Drake Maye in '24. /thread.

You’re not going to be bad enough to be anywhere close to Maye.. Ppl need to stop thinking that is a plan..

• Pie 3