• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DARNOLD

CPcavedweller

3 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

I don’t see anybody claiming Darnold is “bound for greatness”. 

I am going to suggest that you are interpreting his comments beyond the context of them and using that in your sales pitch for your opinions.

So okay, fine. I see it that way. May not be correct, but the fact that Darnold or any athlete may have stuck to his same routine isn’t necessarily an accurate barometer of his competitiveness inside the lines. 
And aging so we do not get this buried, I have not seen anyone suggest he is bound for greatness. Laughing as I consider that you are claiming that. It is a humorous thought. Show me who said that and I will mock them lol. 

Nah bud. Not gonna let it slide. Not after years of folks questioning #1's commitment to his craft based on nothing not even whispers. If he had said some stupid poo like that he would have rightfully been blasted by most people across the fanbase. Darnold is a third overall pick. He isn't some late rounder.

Edited by frankw

24 minutes ago, frankw said:

He openly admitted he did not bother to change anything about how he prepared when he was competing with Baker Mayfield in camp last year. After the team that drafted him moved on and he had a very putrid season in 2021. Does that sound like a QB who is destined for and wants greatness? He's a nice guy and a good teammate. Based on that I'd say it's a safe bet he's mostly content with just playing QB as long as the ride lasts and taking what he can get. You guys that want to stick up for him are cute but I just give you sideye because he's literally a lesser Jameis Winston.

It sounds like he could be very ritualistic in his preparation routine. Watch any professional sport and you will see athletes following a specific routine before every game. People develop study habits. It's normal. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Okay,  "years of folks questioning.... based on nothing.... "? What does that even mean? 

I think you are trying to say that people questioned his commitment based on... a feeling? I'm not sure.

When you saw him state that he wasn't changing things though he was competing with a new teammate for his job, you go from what is maybe an innocous comment so similar to what many athletes say about their preparation. That it is a routine, and they don't change it for something like that. Anyhow, it goes straight to indictment time.

Your words here: He openly admitted he did not bother to change anything about how he prepared when he was competing with Baker Mayfield in camp last year.

Have you not seen people make these comments many times over in thje past? It is kind of a cliche answer from players. 

And, Openly? Didn't Bother? 

THE NERVE OF THE GUY!!!!! He just shockingly admitted that he has a preparation routine and didn't change it, as if it is him saying, nah fug it I don't give a damn. 

I can't take you seriously with all that window dressing. That just isn't the real story. 

Go ahead and throw out some insults, ignore me, whatever works for you. 

45 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It sounds like he could be very ritualistic in his preparation routine. Watch any professional sport and you will see athletes following a specific routine before every game. People develop study habits. It's normal. 

If it was normal compared to his peers he would still be a Jet and one of the 100+ million dollar young QB's who are the faces of the league now. He has the physical build and talent to be one of the GOAT's. If he can't be motivated to switch things up to beat out Baker Mayfield in training camp that's a wrap. It's amusing that discussing these truths about a QB we didn't even draft triggers some people the way it does.

Shoulder Shrug Idk GIF by MOODMAN

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

If it was normal compared to his peers he would still be a Jet and one of the 100+ million dollar young QB's who are the faces of the league now. He has the physical build and talent to be one of the GOAT's. If he can't be motivated to switch things up to beat out Baker Mayfield in training camp that's a wrap. It's amusing that discussing these truths about a QB we didn't even draft triggers some people the way it does.

I dont think thats right.. 

There is zero reason to think that Sam's prep is a problem. Sam also trains with Jordan Palmer who is pretty respected in the NFL circles regarding QB training. 

I think your reading too much into it bud. 

1 minute ago, frankw said:

I'm not triggered. I'm just saying his study habits may be his study habits. He may learn information a certain way and that's just how he does things. Bringing Baker in doesn't have to change that. I have a certain way I have to study or I don't retain information well. It's just my normal.

Personally, I don't think Darnold has the mental ability to be a 100m QB. I also don't think Rhule or his staff was in any way capable of developing Darnold or anyone for that matter as a QB. 

14 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm not triggered. I'm just saying his study habits may be his study habits. He may learn information a certain way and that's just how he does things. Bringing Baker in doesn't have to change that. I have a certain way I have to study or I don't retain information well. It's just my normal.

Personally, I don't think Darnold has the mental ability to be a 100m QB. I also don't think Rhule or his staff was in any way capable of developing Darnold or anyone for that matter as a QB. 

I was not referring to you with that. I don't think he's stupid he just doesn't process the field well enough to be an elite quarterback. But he also seems like a very laid back guy. Those two together will get you a massive bust picking that guy in the top 3. To quote John Fox. It is what it is.

2 hours ago, frankw said:

Adam Gase and Matt Rhule were his head coaches. Where would Patrick Mahomes be with those two?

25 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Adam Gase and Matt Rhule were his head coaches. Where would Patrick Mahomes be with those two?

Once coaching meets a certain level of competency.... it's largely just about talent in the NFL IMO.  Matt Rhule didn't reach that base level.  Could say the same w/ Urban.   All bets are off when you are that bad. 

But Peyton Manning had the greatest season of his entire career with Adam Gase.   Gase IMO is about on par w/ the other 90% of NFL coaches we have seen.