• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DARNOLD

CPcavedweller

2 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I don’t think you and me were watching the same games. Darnold did not look better. He was obviously being held in check because the coaching staff knew he was a liability. 
Tons of checkdowns and running so he did have to process much. Just his first read and go. 
The coaching staff tried to limit Darnold as much as they could. 
Then the Tampa and Saints games happened and the real Darnold was should. 
People need to let Darnold go he is a bad QB. That is proven. That is fact. 

Guess I was watching the games @Ricky Spanish was watching. 

Sam improved more in the realm of eliminating mistakes and knowing when the play was over and ending it on his terms. Much more throw aways, and using his legs to buy time while keeping his eyes downfield. 

His stats weren’t great, but he made me less nervous because the game seemed to have slowed down for him a bit. 

Also playing behind a better line helped. 

I think it’s pretty easy to poo on Sam, and you won’t get internet points for saying good things about him, but he did indeed improve, and I’m fine saying it. 

That isn’t the same as saying I want him as the opening day starter, and I think a lot of people make that kind of leap in discussions like this. 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

Just now, Wundrbread33 said:

His stats weren’t great, but he made me less nervous because the game seemed to have slowed down for him a bit. 

Sam Darnold only played in 6 games.  Wilks did his best to limit him lean on the run. 

Yet....Sam Darnold had the 5th most fumbles at the QB spot on the season.   

Sam Darnold is Sam Darnold.  He has been a consistent liability since his USC days.   

• Pie 3

Just now, TheSpecialJuan said:

I would love for us to just move on 

I would too but unfortunately he has to be in the discussion because we have 1 QB on our roster with zero game day stats. We are going to sign a vet. There's the big 3 available, after that a few typical backup level QBs. Even if we traded up, we cant go into the season with Stroud/Corral/Eason. That's just craziness. We're getting someone. It's just a matter of who. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

Just now, CRA said:

Sam Darnold only played in 6 games.  Wilks did his best to limit him lean on the run. 

Yet....Sam Darnold had the 5th most fumbles at the QB spot on the season.   

Sam Darnold is Sam Darnold.  He has been a consistent liability since his USC days.   

I think 2 of those fumbles were via awful snaps and then there was the 1 where Icky got blown by vs. the Bucs that Sam never had a chance on.

I do think a lot of Sam's sacks/fumbles happened because he seemed to drop back way too deep in the pocket at times last season. I'm not sure if that was a Sam thing or if that was a McDooDoo thing.

And Sam Darnold was far from a liability last season. The dude was above average or better in all but the Saints game last season. If you want to argue the run game or defense carried, then so be it. But he (and DJ) pretty much single-handedly kept us in the Bucs game despite Mike Evans running free every play...

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

He was operating in a very risk averse mode and did respectable.  Looking around the league, there's only a few other backups I'd prefer, but that means you need a sure thing at QB1, which we don't have, and I just don't see him as this bridge so many want to find.  

When the running game works like it did, that will get most QBs comfortable and able to eventually throw a few nice PAs on post & seam routes.  It's nice that he got comfortable again and managed well, but you have to look at the scenario.  

If we bring him back, it's because he's our backup behind Stroud or Levis.  I see no situation in which he's the dude you bring back out there ahead of a prospect like AR or maybe Hooker.  You need someone more sustainable for a complete season.  That's more a Brissett, Heinicke, hell, I'd take Mike White.        

I also just don't see him as a fit in Reich's system.  

I think he makes sense behind a guy like Fields or Kyler.  Better insurance policy than those squad are used to.  Just don't see the fit or need for him to come back unless it's not much and we landed a QB we can start sooner than later.

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 4

5 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Guess I was watching the games @Ricky Spanish was watching. 

Sam improved more in the realm of eliminating mistakes and knowing when the play was over and ending it on his terms. Much more throw aways, and using his legs to buy time while keeping his eyes downfield. 

I think it’s pretty easy to poo on Sam, and you won’t get internet points for saying good things about him, but he did indeed improve, and I’m fine saying it. 

That isn’t the same as saying I want him as the opening day starter, and I think a lot of people make that kind of leap in discussions like this. 

I don't think a lot of people watched it, but our old friend Kyle Allen and Jordan palmer have a podcast and had Sam on as a guest during the season. In it, he mentioned how much he liked the offense we were running because it was focusing on the run game and building the passing game off of it. This is why he looked different last year, he was actually comfortable running a scheme that fit his strengths instead of trying to shoehorn him into a scheme that he didn't fit.

I don't think Sam is going to ever be Aaron Rodgers or Pat Mahomes leading high flying offenses down the field. Sam is a game manager QB who likes to meticulously move the chains through the run and PA passing. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and he can be a successful starter in the league doing that a la Ryan Tannehill and Alex Smith. That's probably his ceiling. Both those QBs have shown flashes here and there, but they are most consistent when they are playing point guard and getting the playmakers the ball and not trying to be playmakers themselves. 

That's the kind of guy you have running an offense while a play making rookie prospect gets up to speed. 

• Pie 1

Just now, PleaseCutStewart said:

I think 2 of those fumbles were via awful snaps and then there was the 1 where Icky got blown by vs. the Bucs that Sam never had a chance on.

I do think a lot of Sam's sacks/fumbles happened because he seemed to drop back way too deep in the pocket at times last season. I'm not sure if that was a Sam thing or if that was a McDooDoo thing.

And Sam Darnold was far from a liability last season. The dude was above average or better in all but the Saints game last season. If you want to argue the run game or defense carried, then so be it. But he (and DJ) pretty much single-handedly kept us in the Bucs game despite Mike Evans running free every play...

again, it's about pointing out the consistency.  That has been there since his USC days.  You can cherry pick plays and excuse them all you want.  When Sam Darnold is on the football field......the ball is always in danger. 

and that's a liability.  We just lucked out that the ball often bounced our way when it happened so often.  But that's just the luck of the bounce. 

all QBs deal with horrible snaps.  Lineman getting beat etc.  You can find those plays with everyone and more of them than Sam encountered because they all played a lot more snaps. 

he also wasn't average or better in all the games but the Saints games.  He supplied below average offenses production vs the rest of the league in that window. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2

I'm all for hoping the guy does well, but this is becoming a crutch more than an actual hinderance.  The proverbial goal posts keep moving.  Last year it was "Sam finally has an O Line to play behind."  He stunk.  This year it's "he finally has a competent coach."  I'm fine with giving him a shot this year if we can't replace him with something better.  But eventually we're gonna have to call him what he is.  I think last year proved (Steelers and second Bucs game for example) that you can't trust Sam's arm to win football games.

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

again, it's about pointing out the consistency.  That has been there since his USC days.  You can cherry pick plays and excuse them all you want.  When Sam Darnold is on the football field......the ball is always in danger. 

and that's a liability.  We just lucked out that the ball often bounced our way when it happened so often.  But that's just the luck of the bounce. 

all QBs deal with horrible snaps.  Lineman getting beat etc.  You can find those plays with everyone and more of them than Sam encountered because they all played a lot more snaps. 

he also wasn't average or better in all the games but the Saints games.  He supplied below average offenses production vs the rest of the league in that window. 

Which is what you would expect from a backup level qb. That's all Sam is. Expecting anything more from him is setting yourself up for disappointment.  I would take him as a backup until they get a chance to upgrade.

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

You must have been watching different games then. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DarnSa00/gamelog/2022/

He had a QB rating of 100+ in 4 of the 6 games and did everything we pretty much asked of him, despite bums like (insert every TE we have and WR not named DJ or Shenault) dropping passes or having no clue how to run a route. His yards/attempt were pretty high in 4 of those games also, which suggests that it wasn't just dump offs for short gains.

Again, he is a game manager. It just boggles my mind that people can't comprehend that he played well for us last season, minus the Saints game.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I think they want someone who can help them win now. That reduces the list of options considerably.  My gut tells me that Sam is not on that list.

Yes, I think that Darnold is gone from the Carolinas,  never to return.

it was sort  of sad because he was a good teammate and never complained, no matter what happened.

Nice guy that  just didn't quite have what it took to continue as the Panthers starting QB..

Edited by KatsAzz

If you look at Darnolds 2022 season it was night and day different from 2021. He moved better in the pocket, avoided pressure and kept looking downfield. His pre and post snap decision making was much improved. He managed games much better and even in the Saints game was able to generate offense at the end to score the winning field goal.  With a competent staff he will only improve so he would be a good pickup if the money is right.

• Pie 3