• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Matt Miller.. Panthers all in on Richardson?

micnificent28

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It doesn't matter nearly as much as fans think it does. People are drooling over Nolan Smith right now and he had 12.5 sacks in his entire college career and never had over 4.5 in a single season. It's not what you've done, it's what they think you'll do in the future.

You're more than welcome to feel that way, but the truth of the matter is that college production does matter when scouting a prospect. Traits are what are emphasized, absolutely, but they also need to see how those traits have been utilized.

It's why scouts had no issue realizing Herbert's arm strength despte the system he was in. Production is  also why Jalen Hurts got selected in the 2nd round instead of falling to the 3rd or 4th.

Lastly.

You have to think.

Many have said well we should wait until 2024 for a QB.  That class would be better.

Anthony would’ve been QB3 with potential to fight his way into that top 2 in 2024 had he went back to school.

As Fitty said “I don’t won’t to draft in the top 10 again.  It will cost a lot more to move from 22.”

So take him where we are now?

or wait until 24 and trade More to move up for a lesser player?

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1

Note to Huddle:  This thread is going well.  People making informed, differing points without acting omniscient, condescending, belligerent.   Then I look at the names, and I see why--quality experienced posters who respect others' opinions.  Like a wisp (yes, wisp) of cool air on an otherwise humid, unbearable day. 

• Pie 6

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Stroud is much more consistent obviously, but if we are picking one game let’s compare Stroud/UGA to AR/Utah. People keep forgetting about how AR crushed a solid Utah team when they let him loose. 

No argument here. Personally, I'm not a fan of the "if he can do it, he can do it" mentality simply because I acknowledge that there are exceptions to the rules now and then.

We'll be a better team with either of them though. It's one of the reasons why I haven't been nearly as obsessed with the prospects this upcoming draft: the team is in a good position to make a move or stay put and still get a quality player that will improve the roster.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

NFL Network claims that the Panthers (and Atlanta, and another team) are in talks with the Bears to move up to #1--Said it would take a lot for Carolina to move up.

I know we have twice spoken with Herndon--maybe to eliminate him as an option, maybe to consider him a viable "plan B" maybe they like him as much as anyone else.  Dunno.  I think he is plan B, personally.

Its misinformation season so it's hard to get a feel for where they will go with this thing. To pull off what Fitterer has said they want to do it appears to me they need more 1st and 2nd round picks.  He's repeatedly said they wants playmakers at QB, TE and WR at least.  So to me that would getting at least two of those 2 in the first and getting lucky with a 2nd round pick.  Someone explain to me how they do that if they trade up and only end up with 1 1st and if their lucky 1 2nd round pick?

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

As with a lot of Bama QBs, we see 1 dimension of them in college--the better WRs, better OL, the better defenses--playing from ahead---(same with Ohio St)---we don't see the QB with lesser WRs, a bad OL, and a defense that limits opportunities and makes you play catch up.

Probably worth noting that almost 10% of the NFL’s current starting QBs were starting QBs at Alabama.

4 minutes ago, Icege said:

You're more than welcome to feel that way, but the truth of the matter is that college production does matter when scouting a prospect. Traits are what are emphasized, absolutely, but they also need to see how those traits have been utilized.

It's why scouts had no issue realizing Herbert's arm strength despte the system he was in. Production is  also why Jalen Hurts got selected in the 2nd round instead of falling to the 3rd or 4th.

They don't care about production. They care about traits, coachability, and how they project a prospect to the NFL.

Luke Van Ness is probably going to be a 1st round pick despite not even being a starter for a middle of the pack Big Ten team.

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Note to Huddle:  This thread is going well.  People making informed, differing points without acting omniscient, condescending, belligerent.   Then I look at the names, and I see why--quality experienced posters who respect others' opinions.  Like a wisp (yes, wisp) of cool air on an otherwise humid, unbearable day. 

Most of the people who generally derail threads are probably still sleeping off their plastic bottle liquor binge drinking from last night.

They'll be up meme typing and poo posting soon enough.

png-transparent-alcohol-intoxication-mem

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Its misinformation season so it's hard to get a feel for where they will go with this thing. To pull off what Fitterer has said they want to do it appears to me they need more 1st and 2nd round picks.  He's repeatedly said they wants playmakers at QB, TE and WR at least.  So to me that would getting at least two of those 2 in the first and getting lucky with a 2nd round pick.  Someone explain to me how they do that if they trade up and only end up with 1 1st and if their lucky 1 2nd round pick? 

I pray they stay put.As you say, we need 3 players.  I think we go QB, DB, TE and OL depth in the draft.  Not sure about WR--I think we are going to need a Defensive player or two as well--so we shall see. 

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I pray they stay put.As you say, we need 3 players.  I think we go QB, DB, TE and OL depth in the draft.  Not sure about WR--I think we are going to need a Defensive player or two as well--so we shall see. 

It appears to me we have more needs than our current amount of draft picks can provide. Unless they nail every single one of any they have left after trading up. 

• Pie 1

If they really are keying in on Richardson, it is because they think they can fix his accuracy issues AND because they don’t think they have a shot at the other guys.

I said a few days ago in another thread, that I think they are looking at a scenario of Carr/Darnold + Richardson/Hooker.

That feels somewhat realistic to me.

• Pie 1