• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just how successful are the Panther TEs?

MHS831

6 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I randomly selected a TE from the starting NFL TE list, and the TE with the #13 receiving grade was chosen (the 11th ranked TE overall in this PFF analysis)--Evan Engram of Jacksonville.  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2022-tight-end-rankings

To make this fair, I compared his numbers to not only Ian Thomas, but threw in Tommy Tremble, Stephen Sullivan, and even Giovanni Ricci, a TE/FB special teamer.

Cumulatively, the TE position for the 2022 Carolina Panthers

• Ian Thomas (21 receptions, 197 yards, 0 TDs)
  • Tommy Tremble (19 receptions, 174 yards, 3 TDs)
  • Stephen Sullivan (2 receptions, 46 yards, 0 TDs)
  • Giovanni Ricci (8 receptions, 100 yards, 0 TDs)

All Panther TEs: 50 Receptions (2.94 per game), 517 yards (30.4 per game) and 3 TDs (basically, an extra point per game)

Evan Engram:     86 receptions (5.56 per game), 914 yards (53.76 per game) and 6 TDs (over 2 points per game)

Andrew Yang Neon GIF by Josh Rigling

Engram nearly doubled the production of the entire Panther TE roster.  And now you know!

I am not sure if the comparison is really valid.  We threw the ball less than 90 percent of the NFL teams.  And we ran a lot, so blocking was at a premium.  So it stands to reason that our tight ends are going to be fairly low in receptions.  

• Pie 1

If anything, it shows how abysmal of a play-caller Ben McAdoo is.

The team goes run heavy with 2 TEs in to block and yet they never get them involved outside of the random drive where for whatever reason the ball gets forced to Ian Thomas a couple of times for a quick three and out -_-

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I am not sure if the comparison is really valid.  We threw the ball less than 90 percent of the NFL teams.  And we ran a lot, so blocking was at a premium.  So it stands to reason that our tight ends are going to be fairly low in receptions.  

But if we had good TEs, would we have thrown it more?