• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers to aggressive pursue trade up to get a QB

TheSpecialJuan

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I don’t. I think if our staff wants a top 3 talented prospect at the QB position that is the cost for it. They can hope another Mahomes or Jackson gets overlooked in a draft and they can develop that player also. I just think they are wanting to start this whole QB development process this year. Maybe they sign Carr tomorrow and this is all for nothing who knows?

Again, I am content on waiting one more year for the QB.  Bigger class (will eventually get the hype too) and the staff will have a year to gel.  I don't like this desperation being forced on this new staff. If and only IF they are sold on a guy, then I guess they can go get him.  Not because a bunch of knuckleheads with zero stakes in the game are bloviating over the internet.  Remember, Fitt's neck is on the line here.  The rest of the brand new staff may get a pass on such a colossal miss (if the guy busts) but Scott is on a borrowed time from the Rhule regime.  That's the reason...and the omission is quite obvious in posts, that "If you love a QB, you go and get him", but the second part of "BUT you had better be right" part is curiously left out most of the time.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Again, I am content on waiting one more year for the QB.  Bigger class (will eventually get the hype too) and the staff will have a year to gel.  I don't like this desperation being forced on this new staff. If and only IF they are sold on a guy, then I guess they can go get him.  Not because a bunch of knuckleheads with zero stakes in the game are bloviating over the internet.  Remember, Fitt's neck is on the line here.  The rest of the brand new staff may get a pass on such a colossal miss (if the guy busts) but Scott is on a borrowed time from the Rhule regime.  That's the reason...and the omission is quite obvious in posts, that "If you love a QB, you go and get him", but the second part of "BUT you had better be right" part is curiously left out most of the time.

And that opinion of waiting next year is a lot of hoping and praying and either as risky or even a bigger risk..

Edited by Sub Zero

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I definitely understand where you are coming from. I’d prefer we not use the 25 first if at all possible and maybe just move up to 3. It’s all just speculation at this point anyway.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Question is do you gamble and go to 3 if your guy may be gone.

I agree, and I am glad I am not the one making the call.  Of course, we could make the deal, but wait to pull the trigger after the first pick is made, but the other team may not be willing to wait.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

38 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

And that opinion of waiting next year is a lot of hoping and praying and either as risky or even a bigger risk..

Just as risky, yes, but a bigger class means missing won't hamstring us for nearly as long because the need to move up to the top 3 won't be necessary.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Just as risky, yes, but a bigger class means missing won't hamstring us for nearly as long because the need to move up to the top 3 won't be necessary.

I still haven’t figured out where this bigger class stuff is coming from, 4 potential top 10-15 QBs is a pretty hefty class. Other than Maye and Williams no one’s really shown out enough to be a first round sure guy. Maybe Ewers takes a big step but he’s got a number of issues he’s gonna have to work through.

Other than that you are just hoping and praying some guys take some giant steps next year. Both Levis and Richardson had more hype than the Penix, Nic, etc group this time last year and they would both go ahead of Penix if he had left this year.

The problem more than the number of top end QBs available this year is more how many teams need a QB and it’s going to keep growing. Next year maybe 4 guys end up being first round caliber, even if it’s 5 if our division doesn’t improve outside of us we’ll be picking a good bit later and it’s not going to be any easier to get a QB we want. 

If we are going to have to trade a chunk of picks regardless why not go get the top rated guy this year as opposed to third/fourth guy in a class we have no clue about after the first two guys. 

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, Sub Zero said:

So what is your plan?? 
You keep saying some hold general statement 

“pick” right 

with no substance..

Atleast I’ve kept my opinion Focus and precise…

Dont hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.The general statement was appropriate to the discussion.I am sorry you dont approve.I have stated my "plan" in other threads.

Edited by heel31ok

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Say good bye to Burns. LoL 

Burns + Moton + both 2023 2nd round picks should be enough imo.

Trade back from #9 to acquire more picks. Target a tackle to replace Moton (Broderick Jones?) and I like Isaiah Foskey at DE/EDGE. 

That would also free up ~$20mil in 2023 cap savings that can be used to secure an off ball LB and safety. 

Draft TE Sam LaPorta with our 3rd round pick and a RB (Spears/Abanikanda/Mitchell) with one of our 4ths then we’re ready to roll. 

Edited by ECHornet
  • Poo 1