• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bears spoke to 3 teams at the combine about the first overall pick: know they can get 1sts in 2024 and 2025

Varking

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Life is all about gambles...

Yeah plus it takes about 3 years to judge a rookie QB. By the time we figure it out we will have a first round pick again or a franchise QB. I get we lose out on 2 extra first rounders, but hopefully those are later picks. 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Thought that was Matt Damon?

I get the impression that we are going to leave this draft with a QB and we are going to be aggressive.  I mean, San Francisco seems to have traded up from 12 to 3 in 2021 and they drafted what seems to be a bust--and they were nearly in the Super Bowl.  It does not have to be devastating.  Our biggest handicap has been our dead cap.  We need to be aggressive but smart in every aspect of team building.  Contracts to Ian Thomas and Rob Anderson were dumb, in my opinion.  Gotta be smart. 

See my post above. SF was in the SB two years prior to their loss in the NFC Championship this year. The talk in SF was they were a QB improvement away from winning a title.

The 49ers team before that trade was far better than we are today.

12 minutes ago, Wanderlai said:

None of these QBs are worth it. So many red flags on the top 4. 

There may be something to this.  AR is a 50% passer that starts 13 games in college.  Young has size concerns and IMO doesn’t have elite arm strength.  CJ is the most complete and the #1 player but we have to surrender huge capital to get him.  Levis has many issues like inconsistency and was never a dominant player at any point,  he is all traits.  Worrisome options

You have to wonder what the college game will send the NFL coming up in the next 2 drafts. There are some very intriguing options coming.

Any team that says we have to do it “now” usually ends up regretting it

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

"Rashness is the characteristic of youth, prudence that of mellowed age and discretion the better part of valor."

- VinCENT, paraphrasing Cicero and Shakespeare

The problem in this thinking is confusing process and person. How you acquire a player is nowhere near as important as how good that player is.

It's the same as when Frank Reich said of Ejiro Evero, "I'm hiring a man, not a system."

Absolutely correct.

I think ideally we sit tight and move cheaply to #5.  Take Levis provided he is there.  Future is intact and we have a rookie to mold.  

Levis is no sure thing but he comes from a solid family and we know he won’t be waving guns around and embarrassing the franchise.  Also, he does have the cannon.  He has a chance to succeed similarly to Josh Allen.

Edited by Shocker

16 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I think ideally we sit tight and move cheaply to #5.  Take Levis provided he is there.  Future is intact and we have a rookie to mold.  

Levis is no sure thing but he comes from a solid family and we know he won’t be waving guns around and embarrassing the franchise.  Also, he does have the cannon.  He has a chance to succeed similarly to Josh Allen.

I honestly think you could get Richardson at 9.  If the Raiders sign Jimmy G I would almost bet you could sit at 9 and he would fall right into your lap. The Falcons are going after Lamar if he's not signed by the Ravens. Seattle is sticking with Geno. I don't care what Pete Carroll says he's not sticking around long enough to develop a rookie. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I honestly think you could get Richardson at 9.  If the Raiders sign Jimmy G I would almost bet you could sit at 9 and he would fall right into your lap. The Falcons are going after Lamar if he's not signed by the Ravens. Seattle is sticking with Geno. I don't care what Pete Carroll says he's not sticking around long enough to develop a rookie. 

You may be right but AR may be QB #3 now.  Who knows maybe both Levis and AR are there at 9.  I just am not a AR fan in the top 10.  I don’t think a player could do much more to raise their stock but I am not drafting a player that starts 13 games and throws at a 50% clip.  That sounds like major bust to me.

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This is what I was thinking too. The combine would only confirm the athleticism on tape. It's not like it magically fixed his CP to like 69%. Panthers brass could still logically land Richardson. We saw it last year, teams will pass on a QB because GMs see it as a death sentence. 

You only draft a QB if your ass is on the line, or you just started the job so you can have some breathing room. If 19 teams passed on a Kenny Pickett, and everyone passed on Malik Willis and Ridder and Corral when they were all projected 1-high second rounders at one point. We've already learned before that desperate NFL teams won't overpay on a QB just because everyone else wants them too. It's their ass on the line, not the public's. 

5 minutes ago, SaltAndPepper said:

This is what I was thinking too. The combine would only confirm the athleticism on tape. It's not like it magically fixed his CP to like 69%. Panthers brass could still logically land Richardson. We saw it last year, teams will pass on a QB because GMs see it as a death sentence. 

You only draft a QB if your ass is on the line, or you just started the job so you can have some breathing room. If 19 teams passed on a Kenny Pickett, and everyone passed on Malik Willis and Ridder and Corral when they were all projected 1-high second rounders at one point. We've already learned before that desperate NFL teams won't overpay on a QB just because everyone else wants them too. It's their ass on the line, not the public's. 

Richardson = 54.7% playing in the SEC

Josh Allen = 56.2% playing in the MWC

32 teams should've passed on Pickett. No way anyone should've drafted that guy in the 1st.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Richardson = 54.7% playing in the SEC

Josh Allen = 56.2% playing in the MWC

32 teams should've passed on Pickett. No way anyone should've drafted that guy in the 1st.

Now show me any other QB in history…you don’t get Josh Allen.  Josh Allen led the league in turnovers last season.  Fact

Just Saying Bernie Sanders GIF by Saturday Night Live

Pickett going in the first was a major reach.  Agree

Edited by Shocker

34 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Levis has the most character concerns out of the top 4, go look at his Tiktok and tell me that wouldn't embarrass the franchise. Also his arm looked about the same as Stetson Bennett.