• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk about the Will Levis hate

GOAT

Levis is gonna be a fixer-upper. So you have to be convinced you are handy enough to be able to turn him into a finished product.

Richardson is just raw material. His fundamentals are very questionable and he is a straight up project.

If we are gonna aim for a QB in the draft, why not just go after Young and Stroud who are much closer to being finished products?

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Levis is gonna be a fixer-upper. So you have to be convinced you are handy enough to be able to turn him into a finished product.

Richardson is just raw material. His fundamentals are very questionable and he is a straight up project.

If we are gonna aim for a QB in the draft, why not just go after Young and Stroud who are much closer to being finished products?

Main argument there is what you'd have to give up.

For those prices you'd like a Lawrence type prospect, and even the best guys in this year's draft aren't quite that.

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

He was my pick to go 1st overall this draft before the season

Then this season happened where he didn’t progress in any area at all. 

Still can’t process, doesn’t throw with anticipation, pocket awareness is non existent and he gets hurt a lot. 

Rocket launcher of an arm is cool and all but that only gets you so far. 

Exactly, he's lacking the intangibles. Otherwise he would be ahead of Young and Stroud as he's much more athletically gifted. 

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For those prices you'd like a Lawrence type prospect, and even the best guys in this year's draft aren't quite that.

Well the question really is if not now then when?

I don't really anticipate us ever being much of a player in the free agency market after the Watson deal.

So do you just hope that you tank in the future? Because the price to trade up for a "Lawrence-like prospect" is probably going to be far higher than normal. Do you trade 4 first round picks and change? More?

I think at the end of the day it's time to do something. We need to get this 5+ year issue resolved eventually.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

When you’ve got nothing, you’ve nothing to lose 

in terms of the nfl, at the premier position, the panthers ain’t got nothing 

you know this 

they need to swing now…if they miss with their all star coaching staff, they miss. 

or they can play it safe and do what they’ve always done.  Maybe there’s another Jake delhomme under a rock somewhere 

so, what would you have them do ?

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

When you’ve got nothing, you’ve nothing to lose 

in terms of the nfl, at the premier position, the panthers ain’t got nothing 

you know this 

they need to swing now…if they miss with their all star coaching staff, they miss. 

or they can play it safe and do what they’ve always done.  Maybe there’s another Jake delhomme under a rock somewhere 

so, what would you have them do ?

Be smart.

Bold isn't worth sh-t if you do something stupid.

At this moment it looks like most mocks have Levis being the fourth quarterback taken, usually at 7 to the Raiders, or with the Panthers selecting him at 9. If the Panthers just want to sit and take a chance at him making it past the Raiders, it might be possible.

4 hours ago, stan786 said:

I want to like Levis as I watch him and I think he has a profile that should be really easy to like. I’ve watched more Levis tape than most of the QBs combined.

Everytime I think I’ve decided I’m in another example of him not having any sense for pressure and him processing a few ticks slow pops up and I just can’t buy in.

Some things I think are very important and separate the good QBs from the meh QBs is how they see the field and how they manage the pocket and pressure and it’s his two biggest flaws imo.

He 100% had talent issues around him this year and I think Rich Scangarello is horrible and did him zero favors. When I look at 2021 tape I see the same issues as well, I don’t know if it’s arm overconfidence or what but he seems to see the open receiver and then wait a second or two before he wants to throw it and it really causes a ton of his accuracy issues, maybe he doesn’t trust himself I don’t know. He also tends to cause some of the pressure he receives by not having a feel of where people are in the pocket.

I’d be fine taking him but I think in terms of him vs ARich his flaws have been historically harder to fix than ARich’s and I think ARich in the pocket is night and day better.

There is something to work with but I don’t think he’s going to be a top 10 QB ever personally and will always be someone dependent on a top tier oline to be successful. 

The only qb i would say that doesnt have some red flags with proceesing speed in this draft is Young.  All three of the rest of the big 4 have some concerning plays with that.  All of Stroud's seem to be forgotten because of the one game at the end of the season but they are definitely there as well and thats with Stroud being my 1a or 1b.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Does anyone also know why Levis transferred from Penn St to Kentucky? Was it that he couldn't beat out the previous QB1 or did he prefer to play in the SEC? 

I just feel that Penn St. would give you more exposure and props than UK would. 

It was because they had a terrible OC and they basically wanted to use their qb entirely as a runner at the time.  Im pretty sure he was the starter at the time or at least was going to be.

3 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Levis played 38 games over 4 years in college and started the last 2 of those. He shouldn't be considered raw at this point. Young played in 34 games over 3 years in college, starting 2 of those and isn't considered raw. Stroud played 26 games over 3 years in college starting 2 of those and isn't considered raw. Richardson played 22 games over 3 years in college starting 1 of those and is considered raw.

AR is younger and the better athlete. He also made more "wow" plays in college than Levis did. If teams think they can fix any mechanical issues AR has, then they will view him as the better prospect.

I don't hate Levis, I just don't think he's a good QB. I watched some of his games this past season. He never stepped up nor played well. His decision making was bad and he really reminded me of Darnold.

I've said all last season, if I was a GM and had the choice between AR and WL, I'd take the chance on AR since he's younger and has more upside being the better athlete. That said, the most complete QB in the draft is the smallest guy, Young, and he's long been my preference despite the size concerns some have. Give me a guy that can just play the game at a high level over someone that has ideal measurables but isn't very good at the game.

Levis went through multiple OCs and offensive systems.  Young didnt and was also surrounded by 5 star prospects on offense so got more time to develop and diagnose.

For me it was waaay more skeptical than the others. Its in my nature........

Plus the film is king. His 2022 film is rather bad. Recent film is best film.

This I do believe as well , frank looks at him and goes " I can fix him. ".......

43 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

What is smart?

you must have an opinion?

Not mortgaging your future.

Right now, I'd say trading up to #3 is smarter than giving up what it would take to get to #1.

As Fitterer pointed out, if you give up the kinds of things that are being requested to trade up right now, you'd better be damn sure you're making the right decision.

If you don't have - as he puts it - conviction, you don't do it.

And you sure as hell don't do it just so you can say you took a "big swing".

Edited by Mr. Scot