• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB breakdowns by Josh McCown

Martin

It all comes down to coaching, systems/schemes contoured to QB's traits, a supporting cast (OL & playmakers) and what's between the QBs ears. 

It's why a guy like Allen made it where Rosen, Baker and Darnold didn't. It's why guys like Purdy, Hurts, etc. are succeeding and higher drafted guys are not. 

We can't go wrong with these two and both are coming into an ideal structure with coaching and a mix of vets and hungry youngsters, as well as a top-10 OL. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

If you read beyond the headline it says durability is a concern, not height, so size is still a concern.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Why did Flutie go the CFL? If he was so great wouldn’t a NFL team want him? The Flutie thing is going to be a tough one to sell.. Stick with Brees (who I know is bigger, but still).

Right? Warren Moon Sucked too.

And that guy Kurt Warner couldn't even make it in the CFL, he had to go to Europe.

All joking aside, up until the past decade or so, QBs could actually be touched while playing the game of football so you needed a big dude that could take the hits. With the newer rules protecting them now in place, guys who would have previously been passed over due to size concerns are now playing QB more often. The prototypical QB of 6'4 and 220 lbs isn't true anymore. Guys all sizes are showing that they can play and play at high levels in the NFL while not being skyscrapers. Brees, Wilson, Mayfield, Murray, Tua, and Hurts are all 6'1 and below, and all have either been drafted high or played at a high level in the NFL at one point or another. The new rules of the NFL allow the short kings to play QB now.

Having said all that, as of today I want us to draft CJ Stroud. Yesterday it was Young.

• Pie 1

58 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Right? Warren Moon Sucked too.

And that guy Kurt Warner couldn't even make it in the CFL, he had to go to Europe.

All joking aside, up until the past decade or so, QBs could actually be touched while playing the game of football so you needed a big dude that could take the hits. With the newer rules protecting them now in place, guys who would have previously been passed over due to size concerns are now playing QB more often. The prototypical QB of 6'4 and 220 lbs isn't true anymore. Guys all sizes are showing that they can play and play at high levels in the NFL while not being skyscrapers. Brees, Wilson, Mayfield, Murray, Tua, and Hurts are all 6'1 and below, and all have either been drafted high or played at a high level in the NFL at one point or another. The new rules of the NFL allow the short kings to play QB now.

Having said all that, as of today I want us to draft CJ Stroud. Yesterday it was Young.

Lol yeah talking about QBs that actually had HOF careers in the NFL when they got the chance vs a QB that had to go play in the CFL is a BIG (pun intentional) difference.  It's like saying since Warner did great in the Europe league let's take a random QB from the Europe League and brag about his stats hoping we can draft a player like him.  Nonsense.....

2 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Directly from our HC's mouth.  What more do you need to see here???

Edited by ForJimmy
  • Flames 1

22 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

For those following the draft and looking for insights/mocks/etc. CBS is pretty awful, IMO. Outside of Jonathan Jones who we all know from CLT days, there coverage is closer to blogs and op pieces than well-connected reporting. 

25 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

For those following the draft and looking for insights/mocks/etc. CBS is pretty awful, IMO. Outside of Jonathan Jones who we all know from CLT days, there coverage is closer to blogs and op pieces than well-connected reporting. 

while I agree with the comment about CBS, and do not like D Newton-- just for context, the title came from a quote from his ESPN article where Newton says "But according to sources with knowledge of the search, the Panthers' choice is between Stroud and Young."

7 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

You're assuming way too much. It was just a headline on my news feed. Lol

Question for the Young crowd. One of his main strengths is to extend plays / improvise when plays break down. The few games I’ve seen he’s broken a lot of arm tackles when extending plays, do we really think he can continue to do that in the NFL? I’m concerned that it is something he only could get away with in College (and please don’t give me the “well he played in the SEC”). But many of you have watched a lot more games. Will this really be able to carry over to the NFL? I appreciate your input.

I'm concerned about size because how on earth can a 5'10 QB see behind a big OL? Obviously, he has to wait for creases to open up or run out of the pocket (which is Young's MO) to see the whole field. And to constantly be on the move invites all kinds of injuries...including non-contact injuries. 

But my biggest concern about Bryce Young is his performance in the National Championship. I know he's played well in some big games, but when the time came to play in the BIGGEST college game of all...he didn't live up to expectations. 

I know that sounds too critical, but given the hype and reputation surrounding Young and Alabama, it's a bit of a head-scratcher.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1