• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Stroud and it shouldn't even be close

NAS

13 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

And if Young was a little bigger it would be an easy pick to go with Young. If UF receivers could catch it might be an easy pick to go with Richardson. I don't see the slam dunk #1. I hope our staff does.

AR's receivers can't catch balls 4 ft over their outstretched arms.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Great listen. Cosell says the same stuff I’ve been saying for the past four or five months. CJ’s throwing ability is special, can do things not many young QBs can ever do with his throws. He’s plenty mobile for what the QB position requires and has shown it his whole career, not just the final game. Says he’s the top QB. Very complimentary of Young too, specifies it’s his size not his height that is concerning. 

Yeah I'll take the guy it's harder to game plan against. Teams are going to try to force Bryce to play from the pocket and disrupt his vision, and when that works every team is going to copy whatever winning formula some team comes up with. With Stroud we saw in the GA game he can beat blitzes, can stay in the pocket, if you go man he can run for a first and take a hit, etc. Just get the vibe he'll transition to the NFL better. 

• Pie 3

Another thing Cosell said that some of us have been pointing out, it’s not Richardson’s ability to make reads or any of the mental stuff that is most suspect, it’s his accuracy. Cosell called it “controlling the football”. Says he is downright bad at it, but could learn.  I’d take that gamble if we were still at 9 and Stroud and Young were gone, but definitely not at 1. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Another thing Cosell said that some of us have been pointing out, it’s not Richardson’s ability to make reads or any of the mental stuff that is most suspect, it’s his accuracy. Cosell called it “controlling the football”. Says he is downright bad at it, but could learn.  I’d take that gamble if we were still at 9 and Stroud and Young were gone, but definitely not at 1. 

Yeah he's possibly literally too strong to throw a football with touch. I was kinda cringing when he started his out routes and sailed pretty much all of them. Then he did the deep balls with a flick of the wrist and they were perfect 65 yard throws. CJ looked effortless on his deep balls as well, Levis in his capri pants looked like he had to put a little extra in when he was "showing off his cannon"

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah he's possibly literally too strong to throw a football with touch. I was kinda cringing when he started his out routes and sailed pretty much all of them. Then he did the deep balls with a flick of the wrist and they were perfect 65 yard throws. CJ looked effortless on his deep balls as well, Levis in his capri pants looked like he had to put a little extra in when he was "showing off his cannon"

I like that Greg said some teams have loss sight looking for the flashy play but not respecting a guy that can make the right play consistently.. Stroud makes the easy/right play look effortless.. While Richardson can make big splashy plays but he make the simple plays look hard..

And then the talk of feathered throws great touch and can rip it when he wants to and will be agressive attacking defenders.. Gave me a chubby..

Edited by Sub Zero
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Sub Zero said:

I like that Greg said some teams have loss sight looking for the flashy play but not respecting a guy that can make the right play consistently.. Stroud makes the easy/right play look effortless.. While Richardson can make big splashy plays but he make the simple plays look hard..

Yeah it was night and day at the combine when they were throwing out routes. CJ was obviously the best of the 3 that threw. 

• Pie 2

The more I think about it, the more I realize how absurd it will be if it's anyone other than Stroud.

Richardson has accuracy issues

Levis has decision making issues

Young has serious size issues

Stroud's biggest issue is that people wonder if he played with too good of weapons and/or is a system QB. Which is basically saying, he has the size and does everything you could want a QB to do, but let's discredit him because past OSU QB's haven't worked out in the NFL and we can't think of any actual flaws that he has.

Just ridiculous when you think about it that way and that we'd consider anyone else after giving up all we did to trade up.  If Stroud ends up as a bust because he can't do it without OSU's system, that feels easier to live with than if we take any of the others and their much more obvious potential flaws end up making them not work out.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

The more I think about it, the more I realize how absurd it will be if it's anyone other than Stroud.

Richardson has accuracy issues

Levis has decision making issues

Young has serious size issues

Stroud's biggest issue is that people wonder if he played with too good of weapons and/or is a system QB. Which is basically saying, he has the size and does everything you could want a QB to do, but let's discredit him because past OSU QB's haven't worked out in the NFL and we can't think of any actual flaws that he has.

Just ridiculous when you think about it that way and that we'd consider anyone else after giving up all we did to trade up.  If Stroud ends up as a bust because he can't do it without OSU's system, that feels easier to live with than if we take any of the others and their much more obvious potential flaws end up making them not work out.

You can also go look at Stroud vids on Youtube and there are plenty of OSU fans who say Fields and Stroud were the best QB's they've ever had, Fields being more of a system/dual threat and Stroud as just their best actual passer. Basically their consensus is Fields vs Clemson and Stroud vs GA were the best QB performances of all time for OSU. Anyone comparing these guys to Barret or Haskins or Cardale Jones like there is some kinda OSU curse don't actually watch film

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

You can also go look at Stroud vids on Youtube and there are plenty of OSU fans who say Fields and Stroud were the best QB's they've ever had, Fields being more of a system/dual threat and Stroud as just their best actual passer. Basically their consensus is Fields vs Clemson and Stroud vs GA were the best QB performances of all time for OSU. Anyone comparing these guys to Barret or Haskins or Cardale Jones like there is some kinda OSU curse don't actually watch film

Probably also less to do with the system and more questioning if his WRs made him look too good, which I kinda can see as yea, he'll have thrown to 4 first round WR's most likely, at worst 3 first and 1 second if JSN falls this year.  But you can also look at it and say maybe they were drafted so high because they had Stroud throwing to them.

In the end, maybe Richardson has the highest potential ceiling, but Stroud and Young have by far the highest floors with Young's maybe a tad higher pending him staying healthy, but I think that barely higher floor doesn't make up for the lack of flaws and higher ceiling that comes with Stroud. 

To be honest, that's why I didn't really want to trade up to 1, wanted to give up less and take whoever fell as I think all 4 have real potential, but now that we're here, it's just gotta be Stroud.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, frankw said:

And let's be real. Doug Flutie was drafted on 1985. If you are stretching all the way back almost 40 years ago to find an example that's not a good sign.

Agreed.  Also, in general, today's NFL players tend to be bigger, stronger and faster than those back in Flutie's time.  I'd suspect, being a small framed, lightweight QB, in today's NFL, would make it extremely difficult to find good life insurance coverage.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

13 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Probably also less to do with the system and more questioning if his WRs made him look too good, which I kinda can see as yea, he'll have thrown to 4 first round WR's most likely, at worst 3 first and 1 second if JSN falls this year.  But you can also look at it and say maybe they were drafted so high because they had Stroud throwing to them.

In the end, maybe Richardson has the highest potential ceiling, but Stroud and Young have by far the highest floors with Young's maybe a tad higher pending him staying healthy, but I think that barely higher floor doesn't make up for the lack of flaws and higher ceiling that comes with Stroud. 

To be honest, that's why I didn't really want to trade up to 1, wanted to give up less and take whoever fell as I think all 4 have real potential, but now that we're here, it's just gotta be Stroud.

Love this and your other posts.. I also love the argument he “played with great WR’s”…

Who did Burrows play with then??  What are teams trying to do with young QB’s now?? I know get them a great WR right??

Hurts - Brown

Allen - Diggs

Tua - Hill

Burrows - Chase

And while ppl don’t want to compare Burrows to Stroud even thoe they get very similar skill sets (besides Stroud being more athletic with a stronger arm) They are very similar..

Well .. Until you add the fact that it took Burrows 5 years to be that and Stroud was putting up those numbers his 1st year as a starter and will be 21 coming out not 24..

• Beer 1