• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper redeems the franchise..

Jmac

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Trusting the wrong people is one of the worst mistakes any owner can make.

It was the same mistake that Jerry Richardson made. Unfortunately, Richardson never learned (or acknowledged) how wrong he was.

Tepper has at least admitted to his failures and seems to be working to fix them.

I'll take that.

Every owner in every sport has trusted the wrong person/people in charge with their franchise at one time or another, I can't fault an owner who screwed up their first ever hire, particularly given how often NFL coaches get turned over.

Well... outside of the Rooney's that is, it's still baffling that they've only had 3 coaches in the last like 60  years, unheard of success rate.

But just the fact that he was staying hands off while giving his hires time to see if they could make it work, is why I never turned on him, I thought that in itself was a good trait to see in an owner.  You know someone like Snyder would have been in there after year 1 and making all the calls himself, that Tepper didn't was a big testament to how I think he'll be during his ownership of this franchise.

Edited by tukafan21

Just now, tukafan21 said:

Every owner in every sport has trusted the wrong person/people in charge with their franchise at one time or another, I can't fault an owner who screwed up their first ever hire, particularly given how often NFL coaches get turned over.

Well... outside of the Rooney's that is, it's still baffling that they've only had 3 coaches in the last like 60  years, unheard of success rate

They've been smart.

Not being smart immediately isn't a bad thing as long as you can see it and admit it.

The next step after those two things is to correct it.

Tepper's in that process, at least.

No one really knows who much or little Tepper is or isn’t involved.   He was hands on and now he is hands off?   

I still think Matt Rhule is luxury to put all the blame on.  I think there was a lot more stupid going on than just him.  Because the argument that Tepper put the entire franchise 100% in his hands and decisions is pretty far fetched  Fitt still getting too big a pass IMO

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

They've been smart.

Not being smart immediately isn't a bad thing as long as you can see it and admit it.

Teppers problem is that he got where he is by trusting his opinion only. He did all the research himself for years and had enough savvy to predict trends. He became so good he was able to outsmart the likes of Goldman Sachs in hedge fund management and it made him billions. 

With his sports team investments he's still learning the game. He's still learning where to allocate his investments. I think he's beginning to figure out how to outsmart his competition that is the other owners. 

Maybe I have been misled by what Reich has been saying in his press conferences  but he said Mr. Tepper is front row and center on any major decision asking tough questions they might not think about. They reach  consensus and move forward. I think he is involved this time not letting the coach make all the decisions.  Looks like a mix of Samir, Dan, Fitterer, Reich Tepper and in the case of players assistant coaches. A real full room.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

You rarely know the truth.  Sometimes it leaks out and sometimes that takes years.   Most owners I think are heavily involved in a #1 overall….especially one where you give up a ton for it. Which is rare.    Owners are the constant.   Which is why they rarely leave massive decisions completely to temp hires/new ones. 

Do you think Tepper was really okay with Darnold being signed instead of Fields or us not moving up to leapfrog the Chargers to get Herbert? I think he wanted to move up for Herbert and get Fields. But Rhule either convinced him that his way was best or Tepper isn't as involved as it seems. But like you said we will rarely ever know the truth. I just hope Tepper lets the professionals pick the QB and has learned to stay out of it if he did meddle.

One other thing I would add...

When we were hearing and seeing that the "keep pounding" motto was being deemphasized, a lot of people thought Tepper was behind it.

Now that we've had a chance to peek behind the scenes of the Rhule era, It appears our esteemed head coach had more to do with that, wanting to replace it with his own slogans and stuff like "The Brand".

It is my sincere hope that anything related to The Brand or any other stuff that Rhule was trying to push has been forcefully excised from the stadium and grounds.

Burn it all. Leave no traces...

• Pie 2

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

They've been smart.

I mean, they haven’t been smart.   Tepper has been the owner for more than a half decade.  You can’t cherry pick it down to the last 3 months and overly weight it.  

and despite the hires of recent months we are also going heavy risk with our resources. A steady  trend that hasn’t been panning out.

people way to eager to praise Tepper.   I got no beef with complimenting the hires.  But you can’t call us well run yet.   Lot of poorly run teams have hired good coaches before.   

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, they haven’t been smart.   Tepper has been the owner for more than a half decade.  You can’t cherry pick it down to the last 3 months and overly weight it.  

and despite the hires of recent months we are also going heavy risk with our resources. A steady  trend that hasn’t been panning out.

people way to eager to praise Tepper.   I got no beef with complimenting the hires.  But you can’t call us well run yet.   Lot of poorly run teams have hired good coaches before.   

"Smart' referred to the Rooneys.

As to the rest, yeah we'll see but I feel a lot more confident now than I did when we were run by King Matthew and his Knights of Baylor.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One other thing I would add...

When we were hearing and seeing that the "keep pounding" motto was being deemphasized, a lot of people thought Tepper was behind it.

Now that we've had a chance to peek behind the scenes of the Rhule era, It appears our esteemed head coach had more to do with that, wanting to replace it with his own slogans and stuff like "The Brand".

It is my sincere hope that anything related to The Brand or any other stuff that Rhule was trying to push has been forcefully excised from the stadium and grounds.

Burn it all. Leave no traces...

They can't be excised, they must be exorcised.

At this point, I can't say Tepper has redeemed the franchise.  We have not seen anything on a football field yet to make that call, unless you consider the team rolling 6-6 under Wilks, when they probably would have been 3-9 in that same stretch under The Process.

What Tepper has done is redeemed hop in the franchise.  Twelve months ago we had no hope because it was obvious The Process was not being exiled.  A year later, we have a coaching staff that is getting accolades across the NFL, made a few smart FA signings, and traded up for the #1 draft pick to (finally) address the QB issue.

The devil on one shoulder points out that we have made what look like good FA signings before and tried to address the QB position previously, and almost all those efforts failed. 

The angel on the other should points out that our past FA signings have usually been guys that "were good two or three years ago," our efforts to address the QB position were half-arsed, and all of these swings were made by one moron or another in our past.  This time feels different.

Hence there is hope.

Edited by Sgt Schultz
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

They can't be excised, they must be exorcised.

At this point, I can't say Tepper has redeemed the franchise.  We have not seen anything on a football field yet to make that call, unless you consider the team rolling 6-6 under Wilks, when they probably would have been 3-9 in that same stretch under The Process.

What Tepper has done is redeemed hop in the franchise.  Twelve months ago we had no hope because it was obvious The Process was not being exiled.  A year later, we have a coaching staff that is getting accolades across the NFL, made a few smart FA signings, and traded up for the #1 draft pick to (finally) address the QB issue.

The devil on one shoulder points out that we have made what look like good FA signings before and tried to address the QB position previously, and almost all those efforts failed. 

The angel on the other should points out that our past FA signings have usually been guys that "were good two or three years ago," our efforts to address the QB position were half-arsed, and all of these swings were made by one moron or another in our past.  This time feels different.

Hence there is hope.

Preach Neil Degrasse Tyson GIF

• Beer 1

43 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Do you think Tepper was really okay with Darnold being signed instead of Fields or us not moving up to leapfrog the Chargers to get Herbert? I think he wanted to move up for Herbert and get Fields. But Rhule either convinced him that his way was best or Tepper isn't as involved as it seems. But like you said we will rarely ever know the truth. I just hope Tepper lets the professionals pick the QB and has learned to stay out of it if he did meddle.

You could want to do something….and it end up not making good sense.  Maybe they wanted to go get Hebert and evaluated the cost at the time.   And that was that.  You don’t have to talk someone out of something if they decide the cost is too much for them.  So it doesn’t have to be someone in house convincing them not to.  

lot of teams probably wanted to move up to the #1 overall this year.  The cost when inquiring can do the convincing to talk someone out vs differing minds in house. 

I think Tepper green lights all the big face moves and cost moves.  Think he has spoken on that clearly.  He is going to be part of that process.  Back up RB? Not a Tepper brainstorm.  #1 overall? Tepper is in it with a real say.  Which, I think would be normal.  I would think our next draft pick will be the one Tepper has been the most in the mix of to date.    Outside of us trying to get in on Watson.  Tepper was most likely a big player in that.   Those types are scream ownership.  He isn’t hands off there IMO

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

"Smart' referred to the Rooneys.

As to the rest, yeah we'll see but I feel a lot more confident now than I did when we were run by King Matthew and his Knights of Baylor.

I mean, the coaching staff is like going McDonalds to Ruth’s Chris.  There is no denying that. 

But we don’t know what Tepper really is.  Bad owners are bad owners.  Add talent or coaches…..they generally show themselves regardless.   NFL is generally pretty clear.  Based on track record, if you had to slant Tepper as good or bad he does look like he might be a bad one to date.  But it’s too early to know