• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Natalie Miller (aka Verge): per her sources, Panthers moved up to #1 to take Bryce Young

TheSpecialJuan

22 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I prefer Stroud, but enough people seem to think Young is a no brainer. That's not what the Huddle thinks, it's what analysts, former players and talking heads think. Believe me, the Huddle's talent evaluation factored exactly 0% into this thinking. If another team absolutely is head over heels for Young, then we have an enormous bargaining chip if we're threatening to pick him. Hell, we could even pull an Eli Manning and draft him at #1, and then trade him to Houston for the #2 pick plus plus.

There's a scenario where we wanted Richardson all along. We knew he wouldn't last until 9, and we ran the numbers and assessed that the net cost will be less to move down to 1 and back to 4 than to move from 9 to 4. I don't necessarily think that's the case, but if you believe any of the "Carolina loves Richardson" rumblings, it makes sense.

That’s kind of my point too. Why would the majority of people hold Young in the higher regard and yet we SUPPOSEDLY like Stroud better? I do feel like we like both Young and Stroud and would be fine with either in the end. Again, the Houston trade makes sense to me, but I feel we like Young a lot more than most fans want us to. 

You really think that we traded all the way up to 1 just to trade down to Indy at 4? We literally gave up what we did so we could have our option at QB. It “makes sense” to give up the draft capital and the only viable proven weapon on this offense to then trade down to 4? Houston, Raiders, Panthers, or Colts we’re going to trade up to number 1. We could’ve easily traded up to 3 with Arizona(and kept DJ) if one of the other teams made a deal with the Bears and guaranteed one of the big 3 QBs because Houston isn’t trading out of 2. So no, it makes absolutely no sense for us to trade up to 1 and then trade down to 4 with Indy. 

13 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

Scott said & it had also been reported that they started the process when they got the combine on Tuesday. They met in Poles room and had several meeting during the combine. 

QBs threw at the combine on Saturday. Carolina started the process to trade for #1 on the Tuesday prior...If you still want to conclude they made the trade because of CJ throwing, that's on you.

Scott said at the podium again, he doesn't care as much about workouts for QBs. The tape is what they are concerned about...

Those who have eyes and hears know exactly who the pick is... 

I'd be willing to bet Rich Eisen has more "eyes and ears" than anyone on this board, and he agrees the decision isn't made yet.

18 minutes ago, t96 said:

I don't think this is true. The dude can make all the throws consistently. His arm talent is better than any outside of Lawrence in the last several years. Young has other skills to make up for that gap but Stroud is the best pure passer in this draft and it's not particularly close. 

I agree he's the best pure passer in this draft, but it's 2023. Your QB needs to be able to run and escape pressure when need be. Stroud for the most part is just a pocket passer. This a new era of football you have to throw on the run and get outside the pocket.

Do you think Stroud has that ability to operate outside the pocket?

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I agree he's the best pure passer in this draft, but it's 2023. Your QB needs to be able to run and escape pressure when need be. Stroud for the most part is just a pocket passer. This a new era of football you have to throw on the run and get outside the pocket.

Scouting reports would tell you he's not going to scare anybody as a runner, but that yes he can operate "off platform".

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, stan786 said:

I’d argue Bryce has the highest ceiling and lowest floor of all the QBs. It’s fascinating.

I’ve been on record saying I’m not worried about his size, I think it’s overhyped on this board.

I’d be totally fine if we wanted to play it safe with Stroud who I think at min is Jared Goff and has some legit upside. That arm is gorgeous.

Bryce feels like a guy if he hits is going to be able to carry teams to success with his processing and pocket skills. I’m super intrigued.

The highest ceiling is clearly Richardson - he has the strongest arm, is the tallest, the heaviest and the fastest of the 'top 4' QBs. I've read Burrow comparisons for Stroud more than once - the combination of processing ability (not quite as good as Burrow), arm strength and accuracy (both better than Burrow) and just enough mobility.

If Bryce Young works out the comparison is obviously someone like Brees - although from the games I've seen Brees worked much more to structure than Young did in College - both are shorter than ideal, both have less than ideal arms, but both processed the game so quickly that they beat whatever defence you threw at them. 

The problem is that Young is even smaller than Brees - and Brees was one in a million. Do you expect lighting to strike twice?

• Pie 2

The conundrum is if we take Young and Stroud looks like a stud for Houston. Of course the same applies vice versa.

As for this talk of OSU QB's not panning out the same has often been said for Bama QB's until recently so before anyone falls back on that one just food for thought. Both could end up being very good who knows.

17 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

Scott said & it had also been reported that they started the process when they got the combine on Tuesday. They met in Poles room and had several meeting during the combine. 

QBs threw at the combine on Saturday. Carolina started the process to trade for #1 on the Tuesday prior...If you still want to conclude they made the trade because of CJ throwing, that's on you.

Scott said at the podium again, he doesn't care as much about workouts for QBs. The tape is what they are concerned about...

Those who have eyes and hears know exactly who the pick is... 

I get the tape weighs much more than anything else, but the physical ability does come into play.  It's why Josh Allen went early and AR probably will too.  Also let's not pretend like Stroud's tape wasn't incredible.  He tops Young in just about every passing statistic there is against solid competition and has the best rating in the NCAA.  You don't get that from mediocre tape...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

The conundrum is if we take Young and Stroud looks like a stud for Houston. Of course the same applies vice versa.

As for this talk of OSU QB's not panning out the same has often been said for Bama QB's until recently so before anyone falls back on that one just food for thought. Both could end up being very good who knows.

The OSU QB thing is just a absurd talking point.  From 1940 until 2022 only FOUR OSU QBs went in the first round.  The first two were decades ago and the last 2 were Haskins and Fields (who I wouldn't call a bust yet).  Always scout the player not the team.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

A 45 year old Tom Brady threw for 4,694 yards last year.

A less all-time comparison, Goff threw for 4,438 yards last year - which would be a Panthers franchise record. 

Mobility / off platform throws are a nice to have, but the game is still won from the pocket. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Bryce does this poo on a regular basis. CJ has shown he CAN do it + he’s the best passer in this draft. I dunno man. Tough decision for the FO.

I feel like sometimes Bryce does it just because he needs to get out of the pocket to find a throwing lane. If a team game plans to force these guys to throw from the pocket I like Strouds chances better. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, travisura said:

Sure, and that's your prerogative. But to disparage any potential insider information as false just because the source isn't named, which is what bully consistently does, is foolish. You have to go by the record of each individual reporter/journalist. I'm not saying that you have to believe someone who claims to have sources, but if you didn't believe anyone who doesn't give their sources away then that would preclude you from believing anyone at all, even Schefter and Rapoport.

BB can often be that way but I'm not sure what his intentions are I have not seen him say anything personally derogatory like that one guy did. Obviously that I don't agree with. Though to play devils advocate we here on the huddle have been known to habitually eviscerate the likes of David Newton and Joe Person so it's not like this is uncommon on the whole. Scheft and Rap do get things wrong from time to time we've been critical of them too 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

I feel like sometimes Bryce does it just because he needs to get out of the pocket to find a throwing lane. If a team game plans to force these guys to throw from the pocket I like Strouds chances better. 

I’m sure that’s the case sometimes but on sundays if you want to win championships you need a qb who can make off platform plays in crunch time like we’ve seen from both qbs, bryce more regularly. 

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

The highest ceiling is clearly Richardson - he has the strongest arm, is the tallest, the heaviest and the fastest of the 'top 4' QBs. I've read Burrow comparisons for Stroud more than once - the combination of processing ability (not quite as good as Burrow), arm strength and accuracy (both better than Burrow) and just enough mobility.

If Bryce Young works out the comparison is obviously someone like Brees - although from the games I've seen Brees worked much more to structure than Young did in College - both are shorter than ideal, both have less than ideal arms, but both processed the game so quickly that they beat whatever defence you threw at them. 

The problem is that Young is even smaller than Brees - and Brees was one in a million. Do you expect lighting to strike twice?

I get Richardson I just think Bryce’s processing ability puts him on another level of upside personally. Richardson could be very very very good but it’s a bit of semantics in my take probably.

All the athleticism in the world is great but upside doesn’t have to just be that.  Bryce movement in the pocket and the ability to master an offense and process is pretty incredible imo compared to the majority of QBs I’ve seen come out, that pushes his upside up a ton, especially if he gains a litte arm strength like most QBs do in the NFL (I agree with your average arm take, it’s my bigger worry than his weight) and actually fits into an nfl offense at his size. I think the sky’s the limit.

End of the day they are both big outliers though Bryce’s size and Richardson with his accuracy (only guys taken in the first with accuracy around his is literally Josh Allen). 

I loved the Burrow comp from Stroud but I think Burrows superpower is how he handles pressure both in the pocket and in game scenarios and I think that’s something you are hoping Stroud can improve on greatly in the nfl personally.

I think I have a hard time imagining what Young is in the NFL if he does fail which is why I think his floor is so low though. Richardson at least has the rushing to keep him on the field for a couple years.

• Pie 1