• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is why Bryce Young undoubtedly is QB1

Ivory Panther

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I don’t think it’s a death blow. I just think he puts him back down to Stroud’s level as a prospect. Which is still a great one! It’s simply a flaw that shouldn’t be completely ignored.

Sure but a large % of this board does, and thats what we end up arguing about.

End of the day Stroud isnt some adonis either, I just dont understand why Bryce is the only one we should be concerned about. Coming from someone who also has them on the same level and flip flops pretty much daily.

Edited by stan786

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I don’t think it’s a death blow. I just think he puts him back down to Stroud’s level as a prospect. Which is still a great one! It’s simply a flaw that shouldn’t be completely ignored.

It's now 17+ game season and they are planning 5+ years out.  That is a lot to ask for Youngs frame.  It's not a death blow but it's a major red flag when you start dialing down into it.

2 minutes ago, rightturn said:

It's now 17+ game season and they are planning 5+ years out.  That is a lot to ask for Youngs frame.  It's not a death blow but it's a major red flag when you start dialing down into it.

But why? What actually shows that to be true other than assumptions? Data tends to show lighter players get hurt less, Bryce's injury history isnt massive. What actually tells us that he's going to get hurt more other than he doesnt hit some magical number on the scale, that no one has ever shown actually means injuries greatly uptick.

Edited by stan786

The one thing we have to wonder... they are now about to have dinner with 2 physical  specimen( Levis and Richardson) soon. I wonder will they start to look at the fact that Stroud is the combination  of all 3 in ways. Stroud is the only prospect that has the smarts and accuracy like Young and not as big but closer to the size of the other 2.  I think that could very well be a deciding factor. Your investment  has to hold up. If Myles Garrett comes around the corner and hit Stroud, the chances of him bouncing back would be ok. If he does that to Young, it could destroy him and now here we are looking at another investment  scenario. 

7 minutes ago, stan786 said:

Sure but a large % of this board does, and thats what we end up arguing about.

End of the day Stroud isnt some adonis either, I just dont understand why Bryce is the only one we should be concerned about. Coming from someone who also has them on the same level and flip flops pretty much daily.

I think the concern for some is that it’s a flaw that can’t be corrected and could lead to a short (no pun intended) career. That can be a tough sell for the top overall pick. Stroud has several flaws, but the hope is that our new staff can correct them to a degree. Again I will be excited if we get Young and if he holds up he should be great!

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think the concern for some is that it’s a flaw that can’t be corrected and could lead to a short (no pun intended) career. That can be a tough sell for the top overall pick. Stroud has several flaws, but the hope is that our new staff can correct them to a degree. Again I will be excited if we get Young and if he holds up he should be great!

I do agree with cant be corrected, but I guess we've seen QBs that cant handle pressure eaten up in the NFL to a pretty high degree, Goff had one of the best QB coaches in the league and couldnt handle it. Its not like some of the issues Stroud could potentially have are easy to fix either.

We both are going to be happy about drafting either of them, I guess I feel lately people just put total blinders up to legit hard to fix issues Stroud could potentially have but have a free for all going at something no one knows how big of an issue it really is.

But I guess its more of one of those, people like the fear of the known more than the unknown.

Edited by stan786
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, stan786 said:

I do agree with cant be corrected, but I guess we've seen QBs that cant handle pressure eaten up in the NFL to a pretty high degree, Goff had one of the best QB coaches in the league and couldnt handle it. Its not like some of the issues Stroud could potentially have are easy to fix either.

We both are going to be happy about drafting either of them, I guess I feel lately people just put total blinders up to legit hard to fix issues Stroud could potentially have but have a free for all going at something no one knows how big of an issue it really is.

Agreed.  Our staff should have the best insight of what each QB can be at the next level.  It's a good thing the Huddle isn't making the pick and the professionals are.  I am actually very confident in our staff this year so whoever they pick I will be all in.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Agreed.  Our staff should have the best insight of what each QB can be at the next level.  It's a good thing the Huddle isn't making the pick and the professionals are.  I am actually very confident in our staff this year so whoever they pick I will be all in.

Yup we are on the same page, I honestly really like both these guys as prospects and think they'll both pretty damn good pros. I just think people are making assumptions and treating them as fact when its very much not the case.

58 minutes ago, Rubi said:

Stroud put on a show after the draft. The trade occurred 5 minutes after the draft. It must be Stroud. I hope it is. Elite thrower 

They started trade negotiations on Tuesday, stroud threw on Saturday. 

he may be the pick, but they didn’t trade because of his combine performance.

25 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Young is smallish? He is going to be the smallest starting QB in the NFL. Look if a player is running around playing Mahomes style football taking hits while extending plays and is fine his first year but gets injured his second year it is more of a concern than a pocket passer getting injured his first year and playing through all his games his second. Call it nitpicking but that is what you should do with the possible top pick. 
This is the problem with a couple of these die hard Young people. They refuse to accept durability is a concern with his size. People were claiming he never got hurt, I said that’s not true and now it’s dragging out to this. Why do you think Young was the only QB not go throw at the combine after weighing over 200 pounds and a month later decided to throw but not weigh in. HE knows it’s a concern and wants to hide it to a degree. It’s why Young isn’t a clear top choice. He checks all the other boxes, but size/durability is a concern and even HE knows it.

He knows that it's an issue in some people's minds. I guarantee you that it's not a legitimate issue in his mind. 

I'm not going to hate on him for being smart. Moreover, choosing and picking to throw, weigh in, run, and all that stuff has been done by many many prospects. 

13 minutes ago, stan786 said:

But why? What actually shows that to be true other than assumptions? Data tends to show lighter players get hurt less, Bryce's injury history isnt massive. What actually tells us that he's going to get hurt more other than he doesnt hit some magical number on the scale, that no one has ever shown actually means injuries greatly uptick.

Physics tell us that he's going to get hurt more. 

He's fortunate to be coming out in a time when hits on the QB are frowned upon - but they still happen and much bigger, sturdier QBs get put on the shelf by them. 

To me the selling point of Young is that he (apparently) processes the game very well and is a film junkie. I just don't think that outweighs my concerns about his height (and his ability to see the middle of the field), his weight (and his ability to take NFL hits) his arm strength (NFL average) and his play style (I don't think it translates to the NFL unless you're an elite athlete).

If he was 6'2", 215lbs I'd still have concerns about his average arm and his play style - but those are knocks you're more comfortable with as they're not massive outliers. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

He knows that it's an issue in some people's minds. I guarantee you that it's not a legitimate issue in his mind. 

I'm not going to hate on him for being smart. Moreover, choosing and picking to throw, weigh in, run, and all that stuff has been done by many many prospects. 

How has he been smart in the build up to the Draft? The smart thing to do would be to put it all down on record (height / weight / 40 etc) then just say "there are your numbers - my film is what defines me". 

I'd like him much more as a prospect if he wasn't trying to hide and play it 'smart'. 

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

Physics tell us that he's going to get hurt more. 

He's fortunate to be coming out in a time when hits on the QB are frowned upon - but they still happen and much bigger, sturdier QBs get put on the shelf by them. 

To me the selling point of Young is that he (apparently) processes the game very well and is a film junkie. I just don't think that outweighs my concerns about his height (and his ability to see the middle of the field), his weight (and his ability to take NFL hits) his arm strength (NFL average) and his play style (I don't think it translates to the NFL unless you're an elite athlete).

If he was 6'2", 215lbs I'd still have concerns about his average arm and his play style - but those are knocks you're more comfortable with as they're not massive outliers. 

I agree with you on his arm actually, I think its fine but its not a world beater. My statement would be Physics would tell us most QBs getting hit by a 300 lb monster would struggle staying healthy. Why is 200, 205, 210 lbs the line is my question I havent been able to get answered.

The QBs on the smaller side in the NFL arent getting hurt at some insane level compared to the bigger guys, there doesnt honestly seem to be much correlation to it at all.