• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns Extension possibility

razorwolf

Just now, thunderraiden said:

image.png.e81b249f21f4777bdc24be466b164163.png

Here ya go, what you can go ahead and expect.

With all due respect, Burns is not on Watt's level (actually neither one of them) thus far, and I'm not sure he has it in him. If he wants that kinda money, a non-exclusive tag would be in his future if I were GM.

• Pie 7

Just now, top dawg said:

With all due respect, Burns is not on Watt's level (actually neither one of them) thus far, and I'm not sure he has it in him. If he wants that kinda money, a non-exclusive tag would be in his future if I were GM.

With the Watt deal 2 years behind us you can bet they are aiming for that deal.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I don't disagree with you a lot, but on this I totally disagree.

Burns is by far our most important player on defense. He is our pass rush and without his ability to put pressure on the QB this defense wouldn't be as good as it is projected to be. You just don't franchise a young elite pass rusher. Sign him to a long term deal and get it over with. He is the face of our young defense.

Rams offered 2 1st for a reason. Burns is a keeper long term.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

If we get out under 4 years 100 million it’s a giant win. I imagine he’ll be pushing for Watt money and we’ll try and get him in closer to the Crosby/Chubb deals.

I’d pay him regardless, he’s a legit top tier pass rusher and he’s a lot more valuable in NFL circles than this board seems to value him at.

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, stan786 said:

If we get out under 4 years 100 million it’s a giant win. I imagine he’ll be pushing for Watt money and we’ll try and get him in closer to the Crosby/Chubb deals.

I’d pay him regardless, he’s a legit top tier pass rusher and he’s a lot more valuable in NFL circles than this board seems to value him at.

To be fair, this fanbase has  never seen Burns play with a competent offense so they really don't see what other coaches/pro scouts are seeing. They all know, and mention it frequently, if Burns was on the Chiefs, Bills, or other elite teams his sack numbers would sky rocket and his liability against the run would turn into a non-factor real quick.

Edit:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/03/panthers-will-discuss-brian-burns-extension-after-draft

The fact that the Panthers turned down such a massive haul will only increase Burns’ already considerable leverage in contract talks. Spotrac has suggested a four-year deal worth about $73MM is a fair estimate of Burns’ worth, but it seems reasonable to expect that Burns will do better than that. Earlier reports indicated that his next contract will top the five-year, $110MM pact that the Dolphins authorized for their deadline acquisition, Bradley Chubb, a deal that features over $63MM in guaranteed money.

Brian Burns is represented by CAA Sports, the same agency that authored Watts extension. Pucker up folks.

Edited by thunderraiden
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

To be fair, this fanbase has  never seen Burns play with a competent offense so they really don't see what other coaches/pro scouts are seeing. They all know, and mention it frequently, if Burns was on the Chiefs, Bills, or other elite teams his sack numbers would sky rocket and his liability against the run would turn into a non-factor real quick.

His liability against the run should already be a non factor if he wants Watt money.

We shouldn't be paying a one trick pony like a complete DE, Watt is a beast against the pass and run. 

Burns is terribly overrated by this fanbase, he is basically aldon smith but he plays 3 downs like a complete player. I wish we could see how he does in a 3-4 before handing him 100m., right now he is not worth it imo. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 3