• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Examining The First 3 Rounds

MHS831

I know a lot of people see edge as a huge need but i just dont understand it.  Especially considering we will be in 34 probably 20% of the time.  Burns, luvu, haynes, and barno seem fine for now.  A need sure, one of the biggest?   I just dont see it.  Is it because everyone is excited about the switch to 34 and edge is kind of a flashy new toy?  I would say de is more of a need right now as far as the transition.   Evero's scheme is built around having a very talented secondary.  The rest of the posistions are more plug and play with solid players who know their role.  I appreciate all the work you did on your post.

Edited by Tr3ach
  • Pie 6

4 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I know a lot of people see edge as a huge need but i just dont understand it.  Especially considering we will be in 34 probably 20% of the time.  Burns, luvu, haynes, and barno seem fine for now.  A need sure, one of the biggest?   I just dont see it.  Is it because everyone is excited about the switch to 34 and edge is kind of a flashy new toy?  I would say de is more of a need right now as far as the transition. 

I do not see Luvu as an edge--I think they play him at ILB.  That may explain it, and Barno is very raw and unproven.   That is probably the reason we are not on the same page--I really do not know how they will use Luvu and Chinn--so this is hard to gauge--but last year, we have Luvu and Barno and YGM and Burns--aside from Burns, Luvu had 7 sacks, but he was not playing edge/end.  So who knows?  However, if you decide Luvu is an edge rusher, you need a LB--

But yeah, it is hard to gauge--you have to pick 1 perspective and stick to it to avoid madness.

• Pie 3

Just now, MHS831 said:

I do not see Luvu as an edge--I think they play him at ILB.  That may explain it, and Barno is very raw and unproven.   That is probably the reason we are not on the same page--I really do not know how they will use Luvu and Chinn--so this is hard to gauge--but last year, we have Luvu and Barno and YGM and Burns--aside from Burns, Luvu had 7 sacks, but he was not playing edge/end.  So who knows?  However, if you decide Luvu is an edge rusher, you need a LB--

But yeah, it is hard to gauge--you have to pick 1 perspective and stick to it to avoid madness.

Understandable.   I honestly see Luvu as better at an edge but who knows.  He will definitely kick inside out of the base defense.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Tr3ach said:

Understandable.   I honestly see Luvu as better at an edge but who knows.  He will definitely kick inside out of the base defense.

You know, if they decide BPA during the draft, they could take the Edge and play Luvu at ILB--but they are going to move people around, change things up- so I think they will like the hybrid players. 

If I were picking in this draft in round 2, I would want an edge because they, imo, are the deepest group--as deep as TE.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Luvu has played OLB and ILB in 34, but has more snaps at OLB.  I think his skill set is better suited for OLB personally.  I see ILB as a big need in the draft and hope they pick Jack Cambell.  

Burns, Shaq, Campbell, Luvu would be a pretty good group

• Pie 4

3 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Luvu has played OLB and ILB in 34, but has more snaps at OLB.  I think his skill set is better suited for OLB personally.  I see ILB as a big need in the draft and hope they pick Jack Cambell.  

Burns, Shaq, Campbell, Luvu would be a pretty good group

Campbell is my hope as well if they go that route.  I am also hoping Smith steps up--I think this staff will do him right.

Edited by MHS831

Will McDonald IV from Iowa St should be on this list as well.  That makes at least 13 Edge rushers should go in the top 63 picks.  That is hard to imagine.  That would mean an edge rusher would be picked every 4.8 selections.

• Pie 2

You may want to look at the rest of the projected 3rd round edge rushers. I think Fitt will trade 39 and may drop out of the 2nd round entirely if a team offers two 3rds or a high 3rd, 4th, and whatever else he can get.

Of the 2nd round edge rushers you have listed, Tuli Tuipulotu would be someone to keep an eye on.

• Pie 1