• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kaye's X-Factor: System Fit

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We're talking about players that aren't on the team yet though.

If you're picking between two players and one of them requires fewer adjustments than the other, that's the one you take.

Not if you have one graded higher than the other.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We're talking about players that aren't on the team yet though.

If you're picking between two players and one of them requires fewer adjustments than the other, that's the one you take.

Especially when you are looking at installing an entirely new system with a new coaching staff and expectations. The system isn't just the QB and the Coach, it's also adjusting everything from line building to comeback drills to rushing formations to even strength and conditioning issues.  So many things are having to be built from the ground up here.

If you've got a guy who has to have fewer adjustments made on his behalf, that saves bandwidth for the rest of the team building process.

• Pie 8

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Especially when you are looking at installing an entirely new system with a new coaching staff and expectations. The system isn't just the QB and the Coach, it's also adjusting everything from line building to comeback drills to rushing formations to even strength and conditioning issues.  So many things are having to be built from the ground up here.

If you've got a guy who has to have fewer adjustments made on his behalf, that saves bandwidth for the rest of the team building process.

Absolutely...

• Pie 2

I agree with Kaye's assessment - Bryce is the better QB but in terms of fitting a system and Reich's background with QBs and Stroud fitting more of the prototypical size, I'm thinking Stroud will be the pick. 

I'm conflicted though because how the modern NFL game is played is you need a creator at QB. I could argue that the San Franciso 49ers have had the best system in the NFL the past 4 years - 2 Conference Championship appearances and 1 SB appearance - especially this past year with starting 3 different QBs.

However, it's not too surprising that they came up short to Mahomes, Hurts, and Stafford as they created two or three plays outside their system to win.

I think that's why Kyle decided to go with Trey Lance over Mac Jones because Lance presented a more dynamic element to his game. 

• Pie 1