• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scenario for our second pick

JawnyBlaze

Would you guys be ok with this scenario?

Variables:

JSN falls to the mid 20s, just say 25 for example. Entirely possible, he’s not elite and a team could definitely still have QR at #1 based on athleticism and YAC abilities. 

Carolina takes Young #1, for the purpose of this hypothetical just to avoid the existing relationship bias.

Trade:

Carolina trades #39, #93 and next year’s third to move to 25 to take JSN.  Value works out, I know most want to trade down rather than up given our remaining draft positions, but there’s something to be said for quality over quantity and we don’t have many holes.  Better to get higher quality pieces and build toward longer term success than trying to get to mid tier asap.

I'd say hard pass giving up a 3rd and having no pick from #25 until #114 with even less capital this year AND next.  Next draft would be bare bones 2, 4, 5, & 6.  

I'd rather target a minor trade up for Johnston or Flowers if they are there early 30s.  But honestly, I'm not so sure I want any of them THAT badly over what Tillman, Mingo, Scott, Hutchinson, Wilson, Reed etc. could give us without giving anything up.  

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 1

Honestly, if we do take Bryce Young, I can see us taking a page from the Jaguars book and picking up the very talented running back that was in the backfield with Young, much like the safety blanket pick of Travis Etienne was for Trevor Lawrence -- one that paid dividends once coaching was improved. 

Jahmyr Gibbs out of Alabama is a fantastic running back and was a reliable protector, receiver and rusher alongside Bryce. Considering the way the draft seems to be falling out and the lack of interest in running backs, Gibbs could certainly be sitting there at 39 and I think would be a good return on the investment.

Anything that makes the transition easier for Young will help everyone out.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

My opinion? Forget going after WR in this draft--JSN might be a second rounder in other years.  I think we are not going to do much more at WR.

The draft is deep at Edge, CB, and TE.  We have needs at those positions.  I think we might grab an Edge and CB---maybe or maybe not a TE--and we will grab an OL.

This ^^ I might grab a Wr later in the draft with KR and PR abilities but this draft isn’t a trade up for WR draft and we did a lot at that position in the offseason..

• Pie 1

Just now, Khyber53 said:

Honestly, if we do take Bryce Young, I can see us taking a page from the Jaguars book and picking up the very talented running back that was in the backfield with Young, much like the safety blanket pick of Travis Etienne was for Trevor Lawrence -- one that paid dividends once coaching was improved. 

Jahmyr Gibbs out of Alabama is a fantastic running back and was a reliable protector, receiver and rusher alongside Bryce. Considering the way the draft seems to be falling out and the lack of interest in running backs, Gibbs could certainly be sitting there at 39 and I think would be a good return on the investment.

If Gibbs is there at 39, you run to that damn podium.  

I think we have more of an impact slot to fill at RB over TE & WR when you consider who may actually get productive regular season snaps.  Brown comes from committee environments and Reich had that in Philly.  Just got lucky with Taylor but they're all committee type approaches.    

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

I might have agreed if Miles Sanders didn’t get the deal he did.. RB is a later round need.. If we get a familiar target for Young it probably be Latu..

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I think we have more of an impact slot to fill at RB over TE & WR when you consider who may actually get productive regular season snaps.  Brown comes from committee environments and Reich had that in Philly.  Just got lucky with Taylor but they're all committee type approaches.    

I can’t agree.. If we had signed Forman back then yes.. But signing Miles to that deal made it clear they aren’t taking a RB that high..

Edited by WOW!!

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Funny thing is he will probably be there at 39 

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

I can’t agree.. If we had signed Forman back then yes.. But signing Miles to that deal made it clear they aren’t taking a RB that high..

If they are in fact taking a committee approach as they stressed in pressers, I'm just unsure if you want to hand Hubbard ~15-20%-ish of offensive snaps when you can get a clear upgrade.  

Hubbard is currently slotted into a spot that will have gameday action.  I'd seek an upgrade if one presents itself via BPA.  

Edited by Bear Hands

5 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

If they are in fact taking a committee approach as they stressed in pressers, I'm just unsure if you want to hand Hubbard ~15-20%-ish of offensive snaps when you can get a clear upgrade.  

Hubbard is currently slotted into a spot that will have gameday action.  I'd seek an upgrade if one presents itself via BPA.  

You can get a RB to split or compete with Hubbard after the 3rd round.. If you take a RB  in the top 3 rounds he is competing to be the lead back.. And with Miles Contract they aren’t bringing in competition for him.. I just don’t see them spending a high asset pick on a RB when there biggest signing was a RB..

No way you use a 2nd round pick to upgrade a backup..

Edited by WOW!!
  • Pie 1