• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russell Wilson comps

Mr. Scot

I heard Archie Manning say that BY reminded him of Fran Tarkenton. I truthfully don't know much about Tarkenton except he was a HOFer and went to three SBs. 

A much...much different time, but he was 6'0" 190 and had a similar escapability and ability to find passing windows off-platform. More of a scrambler and runner than Young, but I'm assuming Manning knew Tarkenton's IQ and field-general type of play.

2 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I heard Archie Manning say that BY reminded him of Fran Tarkenton. I truthfully don't know much about Tarkenton except he was a HOFer and went to three SBs. 

A much...much different time, but he was 6'0" 190 and had a similar escapability and ability to find passing windows off-platform. More of a scrambler and runner than Young, but I'm assuming Manning knew Tarkenton's IQ and field-general type of play.

Half those guys were smoking cigs at halftime back then lol. 

• Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I saw Tarkenton play.

He was damn good.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Low quality but why not just say he's Flutie? That's not a knock, it just looks like the same style to me

I think some people tried that early and the board didn’t really like it on either side of the argument, and then it just faded away hahaha.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, stan786 said:

I think some people tried that early and the board didn’t really like it on either side of the argument, and then it just faded away hahaha.

Yeah, I mean more the media in general. Probably not exciting and relevant enough. Wilson and Brees are not good comps but the easiest to digest I suppose. 

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, Donald LaFell said:

It’s probably already been said but Wilson is much “bigger” than Young in many ways, it’s not an accurate comparison. His wingspan and hand size are off the charts relative to his height. 

I don't know that a big wingspan helps a quarterback that much though.

11 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

He played over 50 years ago.  I think the game and the players have evolved just a wee bit

18 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I think that comp is fair from the pocket presence and iq, but unfortunately he can't launch it 70 yards

The arm strength arguments are severely overrated.  There were 8 completions of 60 air yards or more combined in the entire nfl last season.  4 of the 8 came from all time great qbs such as pj walker, ryan tannehill, sam howell, and the infamously strong armed Terry Bridgewater.  Kyle Boller, Jamarcus Russell, all time strong arms as prospects.   Let us also not forget that the potential future hall of gamer Baker Mayfield has the record for longest pass in the air in the NFL.   Mahomes wasnt in the top 15 longest passes last year, but the panthers had two, PJ Walker #1 and Sammy D at 14.

Edited by Tr3ach