• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 - The Carolina Panthers Select DJ Johnson - EDGE - Oregon

rodeo

I don’t know much about the player, but if you look at the trade itself it makes a lot of sense. First, LBs/Edge guys were coming off the board fast. Just a couple picks earlier, Zach Harrison, Marte Mapu, and Byron Young all came off the board in a row. Then a pick after we took Johnson, Diaby came off the board, and just a couple picks later Simpson and Henley came off.

It’s fallacious to assume that nobody else was targeting Johnson just because he wasn’t high on the media radar. Did anybody in the media have Marte Mapu going before Trenton Simpson? It’s interesting some people defending the Mingo pick and hating on the Johnson pick because the arguments against both are similar. When Mingo was picked, I was a bit disappointed because it seemed like a reach based on the media boards, so I get it, but ultimately I understand why they made that pick and this one. Both guys have skill sets and athletic profiles that are hard to find in the other players left on the board. If we’re looking for a big dude who can set the edge, contain the run, rush the passer as a 3-4 OLB, and also put his hands in the dirt when needed, there just wasn’t much to choose from in the entirety of the draft. Even if you look at Ojulari at the top of the second, you’re looking at a guy who has question marks around taking on blockers and stopping the run, though the pass rush skills are better. Even the age makes a little bit of sense, for instance I wanted Sanders for the same role, but he would have spent 2 years bulking up to be as big as Johnson is now, and Johnson has already shown he can carry the weight and retain his athleticism. 

In their presser, Fitt/Reich talked about the four different types of linebackers they need, and Johnson fills a gap there. It’s dangerous to assume that just because the media isn’t as high on a guy (which, btw, there were some who had him ranked close to where we took him), that he will be there at 93 or 114. If they felt the gap was significant between him and the next guy who fit that profile for them, then the smart move is to go get him. As the draft goes on, the differences in big boards increases, I’m just giving the new coaching staff the benefit of the doubt for now. I can’t call them an all star staff up until the draft and immediately turn on them.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, WUnderhill said:

I don’t know much about the player, but if you look at the trade itself it makes a lot of sense. First, LBs/Edge guys were coming off the board fast.

Then you just go rent a guy in free agency that can actually do the job today vs wasting 2 draft picks to overdraft a guy.    

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Growl said:

So..the Oregon Reddit has a number of commenters who are happy for him but really stunned he went as high as he did.

It is stunning. It doesn’t mean the sky is falling. He’s not like Gaulden because he’s an elite athlete. He’s not like Kugbila because he didn’t play at Podunk st. But his stats are like BJ Olujari who this board was in love with because a guy with bad hair and some nerds named Walter or Daniel told them do be.

1 minute ago, Swaggasaurus said:

It is stunning. It doesn’t mean the sky is falling. He’s not like Gaulden because he’s an elite athlete. He’s not like Kugbila because he didn’t play at Podunk st. But his stats are like BJ Olujari who this board was in love with because a guy with bad hair and some nerds named Walter or Daniel told them do be.

I love the exploding popularity of the draft but one of the biggest drawbacks of its new popularity is that random users on CarolinaHuddle think every team has the same draft board as the one they saw on twitter by @IcyDraftSzn. There are some analysts out there who do great work on this event but we have absolutely zero clue how actual teams big boards look, especially after those first 15-20 picks.

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Then you just go rent a guy in free agency that can actually do the job today vs wasting 2 draft picks to overdraft a guy.    

Totally. Why draft anybody. Let’s just rent everybody in free agency. Could have traded our second for Hopkins instead of drafting Mingo too (not the worst idea tbh).

In no ways am I saying this guy is going to be good but at least watch some film, I’ve watched him all morning and he has powerful hands, more bend than I expected, and an impressive motor. I’m confident Evero already has an idea for the role he’s going to place him in. Let’s just see what he can do lmao

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Swaggasaurus said:

BJ did it in the SEC for years though.  Wouldn’t call a guy who did it in the PAC12 once the same production. 

and the mature 24 year old punched a fan.  In the back of the head.  Just last season.  That’s not exactly the dog mentality we have been lacking IMO.  That’s dumb on display and lack of basic control.