• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More NFL News

Mr. Scot

On 8/5/2023 at 11:41 AM, ladypanther said:

I agree.  If there was a good GM here when he started I think that would have made a big difference.

Umm, even though I know Gettleman made tons of mistakes, the 2013-2017 teams Ron had were very, very talented and had OL talent. Aside from the refs, it was Ron and Don who lost the SB.

Again, Gettleman wasn’t good but Andrew Thomas, the guy he got a lot of flak for, is a top LT and he drafted/signed Moton, Norwell, Turner, Williams (was 2nd team all-pro before injury) and Oher (also solid before the concussion) in 5 drafts while already having Ryan as C.

One thing Gettleman did was bring in young talented OL. It was Hurney’s call to not resign Norwell and do nothing in the draft OL wise outside of the fantastic swing and miss of Little. In 3 drafts, Hurney 2.0 got Daley and Little, smh.

@LinvilleGorge your guy will start

Speaking on The Sports Junkies, Chris Russell of The Team 980 said Commanders QB Sam Howell has handled “100 percent” of the first-team snaps in camp.

This could be a slight over-exaggeration, although it shouldn’t come as news to anybody. As Russell pointed out on air, quarterback competitions have been more of an idea than an implemented practice under Ron Rivera. Washington handed the starting job to Carson Wentz after trading for him last offseason and handed the job to Ryan Fitzpatrick at the start of 2021. Russell said both Howell and Jacoby Brissett have “struggled mightily” at times in camp but said both quarterbacks have also “looked the part” at other times. Considering all of the training camp snaps, it sounds like Howell is locked into Washington’s QB1 role despite Rivera’s best efforts to suggest there’s a spot to be earned.

3 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

quarterback competitions have been more of an idea than an implemented practice under Ron Rivera.

I don't think Ron is in charge of the offense this year.  Bieniemy certainly did not go to Washington to have a defensive guy run his offense.  IMO.

5 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

Ron is a control freak so who knows.

Sounds like Ron has seen the light!!  Only took 12 years.  🤣

He [Bieniemy] brought ideas to Washington about how he wanted to maximize practices for the offense. He brought a new offense; Rivera had favored one system since becoming a head coach in 2011 with Carolina. But Rivera also altered some of their practice routines this spring to accommodate Bieniemy. He liked that Bieniemy always had a plan -- or a reason for why he wanted something done a certain way.

Because it was a new offense, with a young quarterback in Howell, Bieniemy wanted to do an install, then have meetings and then practice. In the past, they’d practice and then have meetings -- as other coaches have done in previous years.

Also, the Commanders worked almost exclusively on their pass game this spring in full-team work, with a rare run play. It provided more reps for a young quarterback in Howell, giving the coaches a greater chance to see how he handled various situations.

“After you’ve been in the same system for 12 years, change is always a good thing,” Rivera said about welcoming Bieniemy's new approach, “and it’s been really refreshing.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-commanders/post/_/id/42987/new-offensive-coordinator-eric-bieniemy-makes-presence-felt-with-commanders

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Sounds like Ron has seen the light!!  Only took 12 years.  🤣

He [Bieniemy] brought ideas to Washington about how he wanted to maximize practices for the offense. He brought a new offense; Rivera had favored one system since becoming a head coach in 2011 with Carolina. But Rivera also altered some of their practice routines this spring to accommodate Bieniemy. He liked that Bieniemy always had a plan -- or a reason for why he wanted something done a certain way.

Because it was a new offense, with a young quarterback in Howell, Bieniemy wanted to do an install, then have meetings and then practice. In the past, they’d practice and then have meetings -- as other coaches have done in previous years.

Also, the Commanders worked almost exclusively on their pass game this spring in full-team work, with a rare run play. It provided more reps for a young quarterback in Howell, giving the coaches a greater chance to see how he handled various situations.

“After you’ve been in the same system for 12 years, change is always a good thing,” Rivera said about welcoming Bieniemy's new approach, “and it’s been really refreshing.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-commanders/post/_/id/42987/new-offensive-coordinator-eric-bieniemy-makes-presence-felt-with-commanders

Will be interesting to see how/if he adjusts his defensive scheme to accommodate the new offense. Rivera was always big on controlling clock and having a well rested defense, but having an offense that can actually run up the scoreboard can also provide his defense with one-dimensional situations where they can pin their ears back like he prefers.

17 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

AR been having a good camp so far. He might start sooner than expected.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I think AR is going to surprise a lot of people this season.

I don't think he's as far off as people think. He is going to make some bonkers athletic plays that are going to be highlights for years to come.

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

AR been having a good camp so far. He might start sooner than expected.

That's actually the first good session ive heard so far. He had some rough outings prior including a 3 INT day against the 2s. 

I havent done much digging on him other than what comes up on my YT feeds (I subscribe to all teams camp content creators). Good to see him excelling.