• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person: Tepper indicates he's learning and changing his approach

Mr. Scot

It's hard to fault Tepper for anything he's done post-firing of Matt Rhule.  Wilks was the right guy to keep the ship upright last season, Reich was the right coaching hire, and everything the team has done in terms of trading up in the draft, free agency, etc. has made sense.

Ultimately, it comes down to winning, but organizationally, this team now looks like it is run by professionals and not a micro-managing college coach who was in way over his head.

I have not felt this good about the direction of the franchise since 2017.  I am beyond excited for this season. 

I'm ready to own the NFC South for the next decade!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

This is good. I still have plenty of critiques regarding Tepper, but the worst type of owner is the one that refuses to admit when they're wrong. I think he's showing that he's not going to be that way. I think sometimes we have to remember this is his first time being an owner, and like with players and coaches that might come with a learning curve.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Seltzer said:

It's hard to fault Tepper for anything he's done post-firing of Matt Rhule.  

That's partially true because near as anybody can tell, he hasn't done much.

He actually seems to be letting the "football people" do their jobs.

• Pie 1

Best things owners can do is slightly guide the ship and then just stay out the way which allows the true football minds to do what they do. He is doing that now so I have to give him credit for that.

I'm still not a fan of his at all but then again I don't like any of the the NFL owners fwiw🖕

1 hour ago, BEASTfromdaEAST said:

Best things owners can do is slightly guide the ship and then just stay out the way which allows the true football minds to do what they do. He is doing that now so I have to give him credit for that.

I'm still not a fan of his at all but then again I don't like any of the the NFL owners fwiw🖕

Is he?

It looks to me like he demanded we get a QB in the Draft this year, which required us to trade up. He also clearly heavily favoured Young.

7 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

I forgot about the Brown's guy giving Deshaun Watson that contract, but you know who else was in the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes until the end? David Tepper.  I will also admit the Texans owner is pretty bad. The rest on that list are clearly above Tepper (I'm not counting Washington since he is pretty much out).  

And you know who said, “We’re out of the Deshaun trade because I’m not giving him that much guaranteed money?” David Tepper. 

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

Is he?

It looks to me like he demanded we get a QB in the Draft this year, which required us to trade up. He also clearly heavily favoured Young.

He didn't demand he just let Fitt n Reich know if you want a guy go get him he supported that decision. Steering them to the correct decision.

There's an extremely slim chance Reich or Fitt wanted to grab another retread QB when we were in top 10.........again unfortunately 

I've said that Tepper was learning all along, while others were insinuating he was a bad, meddlesome, inept owner (if not flat out  dogging him out). No one, even older heads, wants to have patience anymore. Life should teach you certain things... that's if you're willing to be open-minded and learn.

I could go on a rant about his dumbassery but truth be told it’s his ego that needs to be checked and what I’m concerned about.

Why does he need to be a hands on owner? Why does he need to be involved? Why can’t he just let football guys make moves they’re more qualified to?

The answer is Tepper wants credit. He wants a pat on the back. It’s why he had to learn the hard way because he needed to learn lessons other owners already knew, so that in the end he could have the satisfaction. Ego. At the expense of fans. This is his toy. And it will kill a franchise. The people who get ahead are ones who can learn from others’ mistakes.

It worries me because we aren’t banking on professionals or football people building a program. We are banking on Tepper making the right moves, and he is not qualified. Hopefully over time his grip will loosen and he will learn not to be so meddling. It’s exactly how San Fran found success.

Edited by onmyown
  • The D 1