• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Potential trade

Lurk21

53 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I know Miller is a great talent but recently I read where there are some issues with his game translating to the NBA.  I hope we take Scoot.  

Here's a question for you diehard Hornet fans.  Do you take Scoot and package Melo in a trade?  Revamp the whole team based around Scoot.  I like Melo but I get this feeling that when his time is up here, he is going to want out of Charlotte.

Thoughts

I wouldn't call myself a "diehard" Hornets fan but I've probably watched 30-40 full games the past 2 years despite the team sucking and bits and pieces of others despite being out of market, so maybe I qualify...

My thoughts are you take Scoot and see if it can work with the two of them (I think it can). LaMelo is an RFA in a year and we should be able to keep him on the next contract without issues the way the NBA cba is set up, so you keep him and try to make it work for a couple years. If they just can't work together then you can trade one of them, which one depends on so many different things that we just don't know right now. 

I don't worry too much about LaMelo wanting out IF the team can get to a point where they're a legit playoff team. The next 1-2 years are especially critical in that regard. Having 2nd overall pick and a chance to take an elite prospect in Scoot, getting LaMelo's buddy Miles back (likely on a relative bargain because of the legal issues), and having a healthy Melo and some of the other young guys developing could have this team in the playoffs as soon as this year. But we also have to see what plays out with a potential sale of the team and from there any changes to the front office/coaching staff. I really hate that we hired Clifford last year as he's not the guy to lead this team out of the gutter and having him here next year could cost us. But we shall see.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

I wouldn't call myself a "diehard" Hornets fan but I've probably watched 30-40 full games the past 2 years despite the team sucking and bits and pieces of others despite being out of market, so maybe I qualify...

My thoughts are you take Scoot and see if it can work with the two of them (I think it can). LaMelo is an RFA in a year and we should be able to keep him on the next contract without issues the way the NBA cba is set up, so you keep him and try to make it work for a couple years. If they just can't work together then you can trade one of them, which one depends on so many different things that we just don't know right now. 

I don't worry too much about LaMelo wanting out IF the team can get to a point where they're a legit playoff team. The next 1-2 years are especially critical in that regard. Having 2nd overall pick and a chance to take an elite prospect in Scoot, getting LaMelo's buddy Miles back (likely on a relative bargain because of the legal issues), and having a healthy Melo and some of the other young guys developing could have this team in the playoffs as soon as this year. But we also have to see what plays out with a potential sale of the team and from there any changes to the front office/coaching staff. I really hate that we hired Clifford last year as he's not the guy to lead this team out of the gutter and having him here next year could cost us. But we shall see.

Valid points and the Clifford  one still gets me too!!!   A young team with development  needed and we brought in  the vet lover. Honestly another reason I think they may trade the pick if MJ sees an avenue to cash in.   I'm not down on the thought of Ingram because  his game is steady improving. I like both Miller n Scoot but with Wemby being a lock... our pick is officially  on the clock and calls coming in galore I'd bet. Have to at least hear what's out there and see if you get a Rudy Gobert  trade package. 

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I know Miller is a great talent but recently I read where there are some issues with his game translating to the NBA.  I hope we take Scoot.  

Here's a question for you diehard Hornet fans.  Do you take Scoot and package Melo in a trade?  Revamp the whole team based around Scoot.  I like Melo but I get this feeling that when his time is up here, he is going to want out of Charlotte.

Thoughts

This is thinking outside the box. I like the idea of either pairing Melo with Scoot or Miller but a trade would revamp the team over night. Drop Bridges and use that money to resign Dennis and PJ. Heresy coming trade Melo to the pelicans for some picks. Maybe the 14th and a future 1st maybe or offload Hayward. We can dream. Get out from under the coming Melo, Bridges contracts and the anchor that has been Hayward's. Oh, and a new coach. 

• Beer 1

I’d want Zion and even then I’d also want their 14th pick because gambling on Zion’s health in and of itself is worth the 14th pick.

The safer option is taking Henderson or Miller and trying to develop them into a star. If the Hornets don’t feel like they can do that then they need to self-reflect on why and make the needed corrections (i.e. coaching changes, front office changes, etc.).

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, mickeye76 said:

This is thinking outside the box. I like the idea of either pairing Melo with Scoot or Miller but a trade would revamp the team over night. Drop Bridges and use that money to resign Dennis and PJ. Heresy coming trade Melo to the pelicans for some picks. Maybe the 14th and a future 1st maybe or offload Hayward. We can dream. Get out from under the coming Melo, Bridges contracts and the anchor that has been Hayward's. Oh, and a new coach. 

Right now it would be for Ingram, another player and the 14th for the 2nd and Hayward if Charlotte bit on it. Think that's the only way it happens. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

41 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Right now it would be for Ingram, another player and the 14th for the 2nd and Hayward if Charlotte bit on it. Think that's the only way it happens. 

I would take that 14th pick and get Anthony black. If we got to pair with bouknight  or another pick. It'd give us a 6'6  2 way  point guard  that could operate behind Melo and be insurance  if he goes down or leaves.  Dude has mad potential!! Reminds me of Shai coming out. 

8 hours ago, frankw said:

I can appreciate the effort here. But I just can't sell myself on trading for other teams leftovers as being the recipe to end our 20 year playoff series win drought. Why do the Pelicans (New Orleans yuck) any favors? They've already been gifted two first overall picks within the last decade while we sit at zero. If they are targeting a particular prospect heavily at 2nd overall we should take that prospect ourselves and keep it pushing.

Agree, remember when this team drafted Kobe Bryant?  I say hell no to trading this pick. Don't fug this up Mitch and MJ. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Cam Lawter said:

No one trying to trade up for Miller speaks volumes in my opinion. Why would we pass up on a low contract freak athlete for another team's leftovers like Hayward. 

You don’t hear reports of teams trying to trade up for Wembanyama either. May just mean that the #3 pick is more available than #2.

• Beer 2

4 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

No way. Ingram wouldn’t even see the court with our roster. Much rather throw in some more picks. Something like #2 for #14 and a few second round picks. Mitch would do that trade in a heartbeat.

Im convinced you just don't watch the NBA.

Brandon Ingram literally made the allstar team just a year ago and when healthy he is a top 10 scorer in this league.

Cmon bro if you just a casual fan just say it. But you can't make statements like this and expect people to take your basketball analysis seriously.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

Pull a Houston Texans and trade up to #3 with a plethora of picks and a player or two.  Lamelo and Williams are no goes but anyone else I would trade.

If we ended up with Scoot and Miller while also keeping Melo and Williams I will name my next dog "Shocker".

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1