• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith and Cameron Wolfe discuss Bryce and the Receiving Corps

jfra78

13 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean, maybe I’m missing someone but what QB is out there winning with a receiving corp by committee?   MVP caliber QBs?   And even a Brady or a Cam had dominant TEs in the passing era years they did great with bland WR corps. 

Cam did in 2015.  Jake did it in 2003.  Cam elevated everyone's play including Olsen in 2015. We had the supposed worse receivers in the league when Benjamin was hurt.  Jake had Moose and a Smitty who was years away from greatness. If that was our team alone there are tons of examples. And no Brady had crap for receivers much of his time there. All he had was a tight end to go to.

Edited by panthers55

20 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Cam did in 2015.  Jake did it in 2003.  Cam elevated everyone's play including Olsen in 2015. We had the supposed worse receivers in the league when Benjamin was hurt.  Jake had Moose and a Smitty who was years away from greatness. If that was our team alone there are tons of examples. And no Brady had crap for receivers much of his time there. All he had was a tight end to go to.

I already addressed Cam.  Or Brady.  Or Lamar or Mahomes.  If you got a MVP caliber QB and a Pro TE.....they can make a weak WR cast work.   That's not the model we are playing out in 2023. 

89 wasn't years away from greatness.  He was instantly great when given the opportunity in 2003.  Dominate postseason in 2003.  The best season of his career was his next healthy one after that season.  And Moose wasn't some JAG either in 2003.   Add to all that a top 10 defense, Pro Bowl in the backfield, roided up OL. 

I just don't see all these comparisons people are trying to make.  We got a rookie QB and a bland cast around him this year.  It is what it is.  It's good enough to develop Bryce some.  But we need better skill position talent around.  Don't see how that is that big of a debate. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

21 hours ago, rayzor said:

If you've got a clutch intelligent playmaker QB, he turns the WRs into big play WRs. It's all about opportunity and a QB like Bryce sees and takes advantage of opportunities in clutch situations.

Of course I will always take a playmaker QB over a playmaker WR, a great QB will have more impact than a great WR. Young played lights out with Jameson Williams and Metchie during his sophomore year and he continued to play well his junior year despite throwing to nobodies. Our current WR room is unproven outside of Theilan and I hope they just haven't been able to prove themselves because of poor QB play, I hope someone steps up this year. It's time for Terrace and Leviska to show up or get out! 

On 7/11/2023 at 8:42 AM, panthers55 said:

If you think about it receiver by committee means you can't shut us down by concentrating on 1 or 2 players. Instead of 1 1400 yards receiver we might have 3 guys with 500 yards a piece. Instead of a negative it could be a positive.

Cams MVP year was with jags, I do believe it makes the opposing defense have to second guess a lot more when game planning. If the QB sucks it doesn't matter either way

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I already addressed Cam.  Or Brady.  Or Lamar or Mahomes.  If you got a MVP caliber QB and a Pro TE.....they can make a weak WR cast work.   That's not the model we are playing out in 2023. 

89 wasn't years away from greatness.  He was instantly great when given the opportunity in 2003.  Dominate postseason in 2003.  The best season of his career was his next healthy one after that season.  And Moose wasn't some JAG either in 2003.   Add to all that a top 10 defense, Pro Bowl in the backfield, roided up OL. 

I just don't see all these comparisons people are trying to make.  We got a rookie QB and a bland cast around him this year.  It is what it is.  It's good enough to develop Bryce some.  But we need better skill position talent around.  Don't see how that is that big of a debate. 

To your point, Smitty had almost 1200 yards and Moose had 800 some... We don't have a single receiver that we could expect to be near Moose or Smitty's abilities in 2003. We actually do have someone that reminds me of Proehl, though, and it's possible TMJ or others step up in unexpected ways...

Steve mentions 0-22 yard range as being Bryce's bresd and butter, while acknowledging he's not going to uncork the ball. If he can somehow get to the point where Brees was that a 60 yard throw isn't impossible, or improbable, he could be very, very good. But if he has trouble stretching the field, that opens up a whole new window of aggression for safeties.

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

If he can somehow get to the point where Brees was that a 60 yard throw isn't impossible, or improbable, he could be very, very good.

Brees attempted over 9400 passes while with the Saints, none of which traveled more than 50 yards in the air.

https://thespun.com/top-stories/look-crazy-passing-stat-about-drew-brees-jameis-winston

Edited by Pup McBarky
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1