• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ejiro Evero's Denver Defense

SCO96

Total yards/yards per game: (5,474/320.0)  7th 

Total passing yards/yards per game: (3,574, 210.2) 12th

Total rushing yards/yards per game: (1,866, 109.8)  10th

Total points/points per game: (359, 21.1) 14th

Takeaways: 23 (15 INTS, 8 Fumbles) 15th

Sacks: 36  23rd

----

Last year Denver finished in the top 15 of every major defensive statistic except sacks. Their sack total was 1 better than our 35 despite not having one player on the team finishing with more than 6.5. That was impressive considering Denver

1) played in the tougher conference (AFC),

2) played in a tough division...they had to play the Chiefs and Chargers a combined 4 times in 2022

3) had the worst scoring offense the league...16.9 pts per game

----

I can see our defense matching or improving on those numbers since we play in a worse division, a weaker conference, and have a better offense. We averaged 20.4 pts with Sam Darnold, PJ Walker, and Baker Mayfield behind center. With the new and improved offense and coaching staff I can say i haven't been this excited about Panther football since the 2015-2017 era.

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Total yards/yards per game: (5,474/320.0)  7th 

Total passing yards/yards per game: (3,574, 210.2) 12th

Total rushing yards/yards per game: (1,866, 109.8)  10th

Total points/points per game: (359, 21.1) 14th

Takeaways: 23 (15 INTS, 8 Fumbles) 15th

Sacks: 36  23rd

----

Last year Denver finished in the top 15 of every major defensive statistic except sacks. Their sack total was 1 better than our 35 despite not having one player on the team finishing with more than 6.5. That was impressive considering Denver

1) played in the tougher conference (AFC),

2) played in a tough division...they had to play the Chiefs and Chargers a combined 4 times in 2022

3) had the worst scoring offense the league...16.9 pts per game

----

I can see our defense matching or improving on those numbers since we play in a worse division, a weaker conference, and have a better offense. We averaged 20.4 pts with Sam Darnold, PJ Walker, and Baker Mayfield behind center. With the new and improved offense and coaching staff I can say i haven't been this excited about Panther football since the 2015-2017 era.

Fingers crossed!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

When is the first real scrimmage? I want to see it for real. Almost real. 

A week from Sat.. We scrimmage the Jets that week, then play Sat. at 4pm.

Edit to add; It is a Home Game. So...Yea!!

Edited by Gerry Green
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

Thank you.

Do teams actually line up and go O vs D intrasquad scrimmage style anymore?  I looked at some video of the first padded practice and saw 7 on 7 no tackling. 

Have they ever in practices? That's preseason games.

Excited to think about how the Panthers are going to fill out their defensive depth chart. Here's one from Evero's 2022 Broncos defense at the beginning of September:

image.png.1b15b207e41127333d34ef12820138f3.png

Looking at the DL, I'm thinking we see that filled out by Derrick Brown, Shy Tuttle, DeShawn Williams, Henry Anderson, Marquan McCall, and then choose somebody from Raequan Williams, Taylor Stallworth, John Penisini, Jalen Redmond, Kobe Jones, LaBryan Ray, and Antwuan Jackson. I could see them looking to poach a player from another team's cuts or practice squad here.

The DBs will be interesting too... Jaycee Horn, Donte Jackson, and CJ Henderson seem to be locks at corner. The question is, which two (or three) do they go with out of Eric Rowe, Greg Mabin, Rezjohn Wright, Keith Taylor Jr, and Stantley Thomas-Oliver III? Safeties are DEEP with Jeremy Chinn, Von Bell, Xavier Woods, Sam Franklin Jr, and Jamie Robinson.

ILB looks to be one of the surprisingly deeper groups with Shaq Thompson, Frankie Luvu, Kamu Grungier-Hill, Deion Jones, and Brandon Smith. OLB on the other hand... outside of Burns and Haynes, a lot of question marks. DJ Johnson is going to take some time to develop, YGM is in a make it or break it year for him as far as it goes with remaining a Panther in the long term, and there hasn't been much of anything reported about Barno.

Of the guys listed, I think that we're going to see Shaq, Luvu, Chinn, and Horn ball out. I'm a little worried about the defensive line as well as the team's overall pass rush, but there's no way to know how any of that be until the games get underway. While Evero prefers to rush just four, when he does blitz he likes to bring an ILB (or two). My assumption is that the disguised coverages and blitzes are going to hopefully buy the pass rush time to get there.

I'm a little curious how this defense will fair against the run-heavy NFC South with it's frequent use of light boxes. That could all been a part of being in the AFC West though against Mahomes, Herbert, and Carr twice a year (ooo, didn't think about Evero's experience against Carr...). Brown, Shaq, Luvu, and Chinn are all solid against the run and experienced against the offenses that they'll see. Eager to see who steps up amongst the remaining starters (aside from the CBs, of course). 

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 2

For reference, Denver's defense was 3rd, 25th, 10th, and 14th in pts against the 4 years prior to his arrival (3 Vic Fangio years) and running a base 3-4 since 2015E. Evero had plenty to work with, and did good work with it.

Carolina was 21st, 18th, 31st, and 29th during that same period, and team personnel is not built for 3-4 base (though specialty packages may be more similar). It may take a year or two to really see big gains.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 3

Heard some analyst say to expect Burns sacks to take a dive. Evero likes to send his best pass rusher up to draw double teams so the rest of the team can do there job easier. Hope this isn't true but whatever works. Who knows maybe we are playing 3D chess with his contract knowing he won't put up numbers 

Edited by SmittysLawnGuy

Our defense as of right now seems very solid on paper. Our biggest weakness currently is the edge opposite Burns. 

Breaking down the defense:

ILB: Shaq and Luvu aren't Luke and TD but is a very solid tandem and plays well together.

CB's: Will mainly depends on the health of Djax and Horn as the season progresses. CJ has the physical tools but is lacking mentally during games. Besides those three, some question marks.

S: Woods and Bell will be another solid and experienced tandem in the defense. Bell will be a great addition and provide the enforcer role our defense have been missing the past few years. Will also depend on how the coaching staff utilizes Chinn properly and identifying his role. Depth is really good here also with Robinson and Franklin.

DL: DB's role the past couple of season was mainly to occupy blockers for the defense. Excited to see him in a 3-4 end role and develop more in the pass rushing department. DB's never had a solid partner with him in the trenches, hopefully Shy could be that. Marquan is a sleeper at the NT if he can continue to develop due to his size.

OLB: Our biggest question and weakness again is the edge opposite Burns. Haynes is a better fit in 3-4 but is currently injured. Not sure about YGM as a 3-4 OLB since he lacks the burst. Barno is a project and DJ Johnson is obviously a rookie.

• Pie 2