• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Camp Position Battles

Santee_Panther

Thoughts on camp battles?

WR: top five are set, who wins out between Shi and Byrd?

OG: top four set, who makes it between Brown, McCray and Jensen (UDFA)?

Edge: w/ Houston along with Burns, Haynes and DJ, is there a fifth OLB among Barno, YGM, and Leota (UDFA)

Corner: top three are set, which two do you roll with among Taylor, Thomas-Oliver and Wright (UDFA)?

Three UDFAs seem to be in play. Am I missing others? 

Edited by Santee_Panther
  • Pie 1

I think

Byrd over shi due to special teams and big play ability.

McCray is campens guy.  I don't think he is going anywhere so he is my pick there.

I definitely think one of the edges you list makes the team but no clue which one.  I'm guessing they rank ygm, ekotu, barno.

No guess on the cbs.

18 minutes ago, Santee_Panther said:

Edge: w/ Houston along with Burns, Haynes and DJ, is there a fifth OLB among Barno, YGM, and Leota (UDFA)

Corner: top three are set, which two do you roll with among Taylor, Thomas-Oliver and Wright (UDFA)?

Agreed that Byrd gets it over Shi.  Shi isn't as good on ST.

Judging by quotes from Corbet and other linemen I'm 98% positive that Nash Jensen makes the roster.  He is one that can play all 5 positions.  If he can hold it down better than Cam Irving I'm sold.  McCray will make the team too.  I bet they keep 9 linemen on the roster with AC on the PUP, and cut another position when he returns and run with 10 OL.

Leota is making noise.  I'm pretty sure Barno is headed to the PS.  YGM is a tough one.  If he isn't clear cut better than Leota, why would you keep someone on the last year of their deal in place of an UDFA who you can control going forward?  I think the Huston signing speaks volumes.  His signing along with D. Jones will allow Frankie to move inside and out.  Just my 2 cents.

Corner is a mess.  Wright being hurt most of camp is killing the evaluation.  Unless he jumps over STO and Taylor I think he is on the practice squad.  That could be good, because if he is hurt other teams can't evaluate him either so we can continue to develop him.  I'm scared to death that DJAX gets hurt in week 2 or 3 and we are fugged on the outside.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, BeenPounding said:

Judging by quotes from Corbet and other linemen I'm 98% positive that Nash Jensen makes the roster.  He is one that can play all 5 positions.  If he can hold it down better than Cam Irving I'm sold.  McCray will make the team too.  I bet they keep 9 linemen on the roster with AC on the PUP, and cut another position when he returns and run with 10 OL.

Leota is making noise.  I'm pretty sure Barno is headed to the PS.  YGM is a tough one.  If he isn't clear cut better than Leota, why would you keep someone on the last year of their deal in place of an UDFA who you can control going forward?  I think the Huston signing speaks volumes.  His signing along with D. Jones will allow Frankie to move inside and out.  Just my 2 cents.

Corner is a mess.  Wright being hurt most of camp is killing the evaluation.  Unless he jumps over STO and Taylor I think he is on the practice squad.  That could be good, because if he is hurt other teams can't evaluate him either so we can continue to develop him.  I'm scared to death that DJAX gets hurt in week 2 or 3 and we are fugged on the outside.

This makes sense to me. I’m thinking the Houston signing actually helps Leota’s chances (can afford to take a flyer with a solid vet there). 

I know people are thinking with Corral not having much of a shot last year he deserves a chance, and with the 3rd emergency qb rule in play that helps case for 3, but he really needs to play well in preseason or I think we roll with two. 

11 hours ago, BeenPounding said:

I may have missed something, but has Jensen been taking meaningful snaps at tackle? I see Irving as a mid tier veteran swing tackle, and had him making the roster and hopefully never playing. I think BC and Mays can back up LT and RT respectively, but I've never been a fan of moving a starting guard to be a backup tackle because it weakens 2 positions. And as of right now, those are our 2 starting guards (until Corbett comes back).

1 hour ago, shaqattaq said:

I may have missed something, but has Jensen been taking meaningful snaps at tackle? I see Irving as a mid tier veteran swing tackle, and had him making the roster and hopefully never playing. I think BC and Mays can back up LT and RT respectively, but I've never been a fan of moving a starting guard to be a backup tackle because it weakens 2 positions. And as of right now, those are our 2 starting guards (until Corbett comes back).

Makes me wonder where Mays falls into all this

1 hour ago, Swaggasaurus said:

That OLB competition got to be fierce. Houston coming in…YGM, Leota, and Barno going to be a dogfight

Don't forget Kobe Jones who might be showing the most so far. Recent article from the team doesn't mention Leota as part of the mix.

https://www.panthers.com/news/edge-rusher-kobe-jones-flashing-during-first-training-camp-with-carolina

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Swaggasaurus said:

That OLB competition got to be fierce. Houston coming in…YGM, Leota, and Barno going to be a dogfight

On 3rd and long, Burns and Houston are obviously on the field. Johnson and YGM are bigger bodies to put against the run. Haynes was a shoo-in prior to his injury. A lot of young guys fighting for a few spots. I hope they all get a good look the next 3 weeks.

17 hours ago, BeenPounding said:

I think CB is our most concerning position as far as depth goes. (OLB too but that's been improved with the Houston signing). We are 1 injury away from having the worst CB unit in football. And not to double down on that but both of our top CBs are earning the injury prone label. Not the best position to be in in a pass happy league.

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin

Steve Smith ( in his latest episode of his podcast) mentioned two names that stood out to him on defense: Jammie Robinson and Bumper Pool

I haven't really heard much on how Pool's training camp is going but interesting that Smith thinks he has been standing out in camp.

Not really surprised by Jammie's name because the dude looks like a baller.

3 hours ago, csx said:

Don't forget Kobe Jones who might be showing the most so far. Recent article from the team doesn't mention Leota as part of the mix.

https://www.panthers.com/news/edge-rusher-kobe-jones-flashing-during-first-training-camp-with-carolina

Only concern with Kobe is his rap sheet. Guys rarely figure it out after being outcasted by that many teams. 

18 hours ago, Santee_Panther said:

WR i still think Shi has great potential...  he started out hot last season and then after that big drop in that ine game early it was like his confidence crashed and he got the yips.  So i give him the edge over Byrd.  Yes, Byrd is a great weapon as a speed guy, but if Shi can play up to his potential that he showed in flashes last season, he reminds me of a young Emmanuel Sanders.

OG, Nash is gonna make it.

Edge, you left out Luvu.  I feel Barno is gonna make it.  Haven't heard much from him this TC but he showed a lot of promise in limited action last season and his athleticism is otherworldly.  I actually think he would make it over DJ at this point based off what we know from Barno and what has been reported about DJ so far.  And I would venture to say, both may actually make it over Haynes despite Haynes starting out higher on the depth chart because of age and draft pick investment.  Also, Leota and the other UDFA guy we signed at the end of last season whose name escapes me this second are making a lot of noise.

And CB, I still believe in Taylor and love Wright's potential.  I'm keeping them.  I always liked STO, but I think he has kind of reached his potential.