• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trying to trade Corral?

ncfan

6 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

The poster thinks he’s worth more than what we could get in trade right now. 

I’m sure you are correct that a team would give a 7th for him, but the poster doesn’t think that’s enough. 

Well, the entire league knows we got a young QB that doesn’t want to be here.  And doesn’t fit in with where we are as a franchise. 

that drives his value down.   League negotiates knowing all that. 

Trey Lance once went for a billion dollars and could now be had for a dirty nickel.  Life moves fast in the NFL.  And he essentially is not much different at either price tag. 

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

Well, the entire league knows we got a young QB that doesn’t want to be here.  And doesn’t fit in with where we are as a franchise. 

that drives his value down.   League negotiates knowing all that. 

Trey Lance once went for a billion dollars and could now be had for a dirty nickel.  Life moves fast in the NFL.  And he essentially is not much different at either price tag. 

I don't think that's at all remotely true.  I think Corral absolutely wants to stay in Carolina, and frankly, he should.

First, he's not going to be given a starting job anywhere this year, at best he could hope to be the #2 for someone (and as I just said, I think before the end of this season, he'll be our #2 on game days anyways).

Second, since he isn't going to start anywhere, his main focus for this season should be on improving his game, and there probably isn't a clear cut better staff in the league right now for him to do that.  To work with the staff we put together for Bryce's development, might be the best situation in the league for him as well.

Third, no matter what you thought about Bryce pre-draft, there is no denying that his size is a legitimate concern for durability in this league.  If I know I'm currently a backup QB in this league, being on a team with a starting QB of Bryce's size would be something I'd want.

Him being the current #3 as opposed to #2 is about the only reason he might want out of Carolina at this moment, but beyond that, I think he has ever reason to want to stay here for this season.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I don't think that's at all remotely true.  I think Corral absolutely wants to stay in Carolina, and frankly, he should.

First, he's not going to be given a starting job anywhere this year, at best he could hope to be the #2 for someone (and as I just said, I think before the end of this season, he'll be our #2 on game days anyways).

Second, since he isn't going to start anywhere, his main focus for this season should be on improving his game, and there probably isn't a clear cut better staff in the league right now for him to do that.  To work with the staff we put together for Bryce's development, might be the best situation in the league for him as well.

Third, no matter what you thought about Bryce pre-draft, there is no denying that his size is a legitimate concern for durability in this league.  If I know I'm currently a backup QB in this league, being on a team with a starting QB of Bryce's size would be something I'd want.

Him being the current #3 as opposed to #2 is about the only reason he might want out of Carolina at this moment, but beyond that, I think he has ever reason to want to stay here for this season.

It doesn't matter what Corral wants. If the coaching staff doesn't think he's useful they will move on. Feelings get hurt this is a business at the end of the day. I get some people have a soft spot for Corral. Just being honest the dude doesn't look good out there. Im not even sure if he can be a backup at this point. He needs to go somewhere with a legit QB coach so he can truly develop as a player.

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

It doesn't matter what Corral wants. If the coaching staff doesn't think he's useful they will move on. Feelings get hurt this is a business at the end of the day. I get some people have a soft spot for Corral. Just being honest the dude doesn't look good out there. Im not even sure if he can be a backup at this point. He needs to go somewhere with a legit QB coach so he can truly develop as a player.

uh..... did you even see the post I was quoting and replying to there?

He was saying that the league know's Corral doesn't want to be here and thus someone should try to trade for him.  My point there was just that I didn't agree with that statement about him not wanting to be here for a number of reasons.

And in what world is Josh McCown not a legit QB coach?  That hire has been widely applauded by pundits, that he was a highly sought after coach and we were the lucky ones to grab him.

I think a full season under McCown's tutelage will do wonders for Corral.  People forget that the kid missed his entire rookie season and is only a couple months of offseason work into his second season, he will improve this year.

5 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

We literally just drafted Bryce Young #1.  No young QB wants to be behind that and spend his time rooting for disaster. 

yeah, he wants to go somewhere like Carolina was pre Bryce probably.  Unstable QB future.   Where he has a chance to live out his dream.  Take and a get a shot.  No one is suggesting someone would trade and make him a starter immediately. He is a developmental project.  He would have to grind. 

He isn’t going to be #2 here.  We have the #1 overall pick starting.  It would be malpractice for him be #2.  For the dude aiding Young on the sideline and film room….be a dude who has seen only preseason action in his career.  That offers zero to Young.  

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

We literally just drafted Bryce Young #1.  No young QB wants to be behind that and spend his time rooting for disaster. 

yeah, he wants to go somewhere like Carolina was pre Bryce probably.  Unstable QB future.   Where he has a chance to live out his dream.  Take and a get a shot.  No one is suggesting someone would trade and make him a starter immediately. He is a developmental project.  He would have to grind. 

He isn’t going to be #2 here.  We have the #1 overall pick starting.  It would be malpractice for him be #2.  For the dude aiding Young on the sideline and film room….be a dude who has seen only preseason action in his career.  That offers zero to Young.  

You are assuming he doesn’t want to be here. Can you back that up in any way? 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

You do realize that making Corral the #2 here doesn't mean he'd then be the guy aiding Young on the sideline and film room, it would still be Dalton.  It's not like Dalton would say, "that's the #2's job, I'm just going to chill and collect my paycheck while being the emergency #3"

And no, I don't think Corral wants to be here long term, but I think for this season, we might be the best place for him.  We put together an all star staff, particularly with QB whisperers, to help expedite Bryce's development.  While Corral won't get the reps that Bryce will get, he'll still get every bit of coaching off the field that Bryce will get.

And at this point in the season, there really aren't any unstable QB rooms at the moment to where he might have a quicker path to playing outside of injury.  The closest teams to that would be the Cardinals, Commanders, Falcons, Bucs, and maybe Titans.  

The Titans aren't doing it seeing as they already have Levis and Willis.

The Commanders and Falcons already have 2nd year guys they want to give a legit shot to this year and see if they can be anything, they're not trading for Corral with the mind to possibly start him over Howell or Ridder this year.  

The Cardinals are actively trying to be terrible to get the #1 pick and just traded for another QB to start this year, they aren't giving up another pick for Corral.

That leaves the Bucs as really the only possible target to fit what you're talking about and I think if Baker sucks for them, they'd rather keep all their picks while being terrible with Trask and go for the #1 pick themselves.

Any other team in the league would put Corral in the same place as he is here, never going to play this year outside of due to injury, which again, if you're hoping for injury, being behind the smallest QB in the league is where you'd want to be anyways.

Just now, Wundrbread33 said:

You are assuming he doesn’t want to be here. Can you back that up in any way? 

Basic human nature.  He was a 3rd round pick.  

We just drafted Bryce Young.  That’s the direction of our future.  And because Bryce is Bryce….he doesn’t fit the bill for backup for the near future either. 

so yeah, it’s an educated guess a 3rd round QB pick that was hurt last year would prefer to be in a better location.  

20 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Well as of this evening, the staff does want him here.

And you’re right; he doesn’t look good out there….to you. 

He looks exactly as I expected he would. He is a guy with a strong arm and good athleticism, that is in his second year with a new staff after missing his first with a chaotic staff. 

Maybe there’s a better place he could go to develop, but there is a high level of offensive knowledge all around him here. This would have to be one of the better places to be in the league. 

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

Not buying that he wants to go somewhere. He said otherwise.

Corral's NFL experience, if nothing else, has probably been very humbling to him. He likely knows that he needs more work to get where he wants to be. He may revisit that next off-season, but at this moment no one's giving him a starting opportunity or even a number 2 gig (nor should they). He has several highly regarded coaches here who know the position (and the NFL knows this too), so he'll continue to be developed, and perhaps at some point he'll get his shot as a QB2 here or elsewhere. If he can't do it here, I don't see why others would think that he can do it wherever, unless Reich and company give him rave reviews or he shows considerable growth by this time next year.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Well as of this evening, the staff does want him here.

And you’re right; he doesn’t look good out there….to you. 

He looks exactly as I expected he would. He is a guy with a strong arm and good athleticism, that is in his second year with a new staff after missing his first with a chaotic staff. 

Maybe there’s a better place he could go to develop, but there is a high level of offensive knowledge all around him here. This would have to be one of the better places to be in the league. 

Yep. The staff sees more, and knows what they're looking for as far as progress. Sure, he had a bad passing game last week, but that's only what the public was privy to. All these Huddlers with their crystal balls saying Corral, Thomas, Henderson, Hubbard and YGM were going to be cut were simply blowing hot air. 

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

I'm also not convinced Dalton has anything left in the tank after what we've seen from him in camp videos and in the preseason game he played.

He's here as a mentor to Bryce, if he ever needs to step on the field, we're screwed.

Wouldn't shock me if he's only here this one season in the end, and if that's the case, Corral on his rookie contract might make more sense as our backup next year than paying a few million for a more legitimate backup.

I also think there is a distinct possibility that by the end of this season, Corral ends up as the #2 on game days with Dalton designated as the 3rd string emergency QB.  I think Dalton is going to be worth every penny we're paying him just to be the mentor for Bryce off the field, but from what I've seen from him in camp, he looks completely washed up as an actual QB on the field.

If there is a weird path where corral is starting for us in 2023 then we have gift wrapped a top5 pick to the bears