• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Future at LG

PantherKyle

5 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Do they though?

I know this keeps getting brought up, about how they already have this connection on the field due to playing in college together.  But I think they only played something like 5 or 6 games together as Zavala was hurt that season I believe and missed half of it.

Yes, it's more than not having any familiarity, but I'm not sure 6 games in college 2 years ago really means much at this point.

Their knowledge of each other is something to build on. Throw into that Ickey can help Zavala Make the adjustments and they can build together.

15 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Agreed. College chemistry is nice but Zavalabis a rookie who hasn’t gotten a lot of reps due to a preseason injury and Iky’s looked a lot like a rookie so far in the preseason games. Pairing them could make for a couple disastrous plays so I’d think the coaches might keep BC their until they know Zavala is ready when Corbett is back.

Offensive linemen would tell you that left guard is a lot easier to learn than right guard. In fact, it's considered the easiest position on the entire line.

That's one reason I'd rather have Corbett on the right.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Their knowledge of each other is something to build on. Throw into that Ickey can help Zavala Make the adjustments and they can build together.

Offensive linemen would tell you that left guard is a lot easier to learn than right guard. In fact, it's considered the easiest position on the entire line.

I'm not saying they don't have knowledge together, but Ickey playing next to BC for a full season and now 2 offseasons makes it tough to use his existing relationship with Zavala as a reason behind putting him in the spot.  Their comfortable-ness with each other pales in comparison to what he'd have developed with BC over that time and in NFL offenses.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

16 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I'm not saying they don't have knowledge together, but Ickey playing next to BC for a full season and now 2 offseasons makes it tough to use his existing relationship with Zavala as a reason behind putting him in the spot.  Their comfortable-ness with each other pales in comparison to what he'd have developed with BC over that time and in NFL offenses.

And if the team pairs Ickey and Zavala, they'll catch up... possibly quickly.

And again, you've got the question of which is the better line combination.

Ickey / Christensen / Corbett with Zavala as the utility guy

Or

Ickey / Zavala / Corbett with Christensen as the utility guy

My vote is for Option B

• Pie 2

56 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Came here to mention this. 

They played 5 games together in college (unless Ickey missed games early in 2021 season) and Zavala arrived in June 2021 to NC State.

So Ickey have far more playing and training time with BC. 

BC and Ickey had 20+ penalties last season... hope that will be fixed this season.  

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know about LG and I never said I didn’t want Corbett on the right. I’m saying that the coaches may easily decide to put Zavala on the bench when Corbett comes back. Not sure I would trust Iky to help Zavala with adjustments when Iky has been the worst starter in preseason in terms of making mental mistakes. I don’t think I’d trust a left side of Iky and Zavala yet until we see him prove himself well at RG before Corbett and also when we see Iky not making mistakes. Zavala missed a good portion of preseason as well.

• Beer 1

POINTS TO CONSIDER:

1. Zavala is playing well out of position at RG

2. BC is a good athlete and that athleticism could be minimized at LG; BC Can play OT.

3. Moton's contract swells to $30m in 2024.  BC can play RT

If you don't look at the immediate needs, the writing is on the wall for the 12 month plan. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

37 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

POINTS TO CONSIDER:

2. BC is a good athlete and that athleticism could be minimized at LG; BC Can play OT.

If you don't look at the immediate needs, the writing is on the wall for the 12 month plan. 

I've thought about that, but Brady has to prove himself this year in a big way.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

POINTS TO CONSIDER:

Counter points that also have to be considered.

1. It’s preseason as has been said millions of times. Look at Bozeman. When he played against the Giants and a good DT, he got handled.

2. BC is minimized if he’s on the bench and he’s a better starter.

3. That’s a huge jump to assume BC is ready to takeover RT and not make it a big drop off from Moton. I don’t believe BC played RT in college and he hasn’t played RT for us.

4 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Counter points that also have to be considered.

1. It’s preseason as has been said millions of times. Look at Bozeman. When he played against the Giants and a good DT, he got handled.

2. BC is minimized if he’s on the bench and he’s a better starter.

3. That’s a huge jump to assume BC is ready to takeover RT and not make it a big drop off from Moton. I don’t believe BC played RT in college and he hasn’t played RT for us.

4. Moton would cost 25M in dead cap next year if cut/traded. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Not if he’s been replaced by BC. Which is the scenario I’m speaking of. But yea he’s going to be restructured for many years to come and ain’t going nowhere soon. 

I doubt he gets replaced by a guy who has only played LT. Last year he was the weak spot of the 5 and now he’s going to take over for Moton at a spot he’s never played?

I do agree that he’s likely restructured.

• Beer 1

I'm not counting Christensen out and I also like Zavala.  Corbett was also a second round picks that took 3 to 4 years to come in to his own. Christensen is starting his 3rd season and second as a left guard. 

I want them to have difficult decisions about who is the starter due to multiple good options 

Edited by csx
  • Pie 3